AAR hose collision detection

mr_mojo97

About the only thing that annoys me is when I’m practicing my AAR is the hose going through the canopy when I mess up. Can we not have some collision detection and a thud or something? I’m sure a pilot would probably get grounded (prior to some DCS World training of course) for messing up that badly.

• Like 1

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Must be just me then. Lol

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I had this very thing happen last night. Learning to refuel from the right drogue, I had several misses. A couple came through the cockpit.

To have the drogue hardened creates a double edged sword.

1) Adds realism

2) May cause damage to your aircraft/broken probe (casual player may not like this)

3) Damage to drogue itself (the spokes are notoriously fragile and are often bent if hit) forcing single pod ops

I like the idea, but know it would come with a mix of compliments and complaints.

Tbh, even if there was no damage to either drogue or aircraft that would suit me. Just some sort of collision detection.

As it stands the probe doesn’t sit right in the drought half the time either when connected (when I’m brave enough look left to see it!)

Edited by mr_mojo97

And a nice little animation by RAZBAM of the basket coming out of the KC-130 fuel pod rather than just appearing fully opened would be nice as well.

My OP for this is because I spend a lot of time practicing AAR so these little things give a little bit more immersion.

Can't remember anything being said but it's the Great Merge soon so maybe.........

refueling is already very hard, :)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread from the grave because it is important that this finally be implemented. Also the bow wave physics need to be modeled as well. Not have any collision nor pressure wave off the nose to push the basket along with infinitely smooth air makes tanking easy once you figure out visual ques and know what to expect. The baskets and the boom also need to be able to be broken if you screw up and hit the basket too hard and create the sign wave.

IS this something that is even being worked on? I have not seen it mentioned.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

ED has stated in the past that the boom and drogue physics are being worked on making AAR more realistic/difficult. Granted it's been at least a year with practically zero news about it so it may have been pushed beyond the back burner pending bigger stuff.

Would be nice to add this function.

if they add it it would be nice to have a function to turn on and off the collisions for the drogue. so people can choose what they want, and also can train with the non collision drogue.

That will be a nice possibility..

So when experienced in refueling you might to have to choose for collissions drogue on.

So unexperienced can choose dogue collisions off, something like this.

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

if they add it it would be nice to have a function to turn on and off the collisions for the drogue.

So when experienced in refueling you might to have to choose for collissions drogue on.

So unexperienced can choose dogue collisions off, something like this.

yep! +1 on this

ED has stated in the past that the boom and drogue physics are being worked on making AAR more realistic/difficult. Granted it's been at least a year with practically zero news about it so it may have been pushed beyond the back burner pending bigger stuff.

I'm assuming it's because the sim engine's never had to support non rigid bones before, so it's all new stuff that needs to be fit in with existing stuff, rather than just extra features bolted on top.

As mentioned earlier, I'm holding off on an AAR video until the new S-3 and refueling pod is ready, as well as the new hose and basket physics.

Thanks

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3430203&postcount=4

That was back in 2018

It would be great IF ED says something instead of the silence.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Run of the mill collisions with the basket/hose .... I can cope with BUT what would be a partial win would be to introduce a time delay before the tanker pays out the hoses when refuelling is complete. At the moment, the first indication that you've taken all the gas you can is a face full of basket. Give us a chance to disconnect and get clear before paying out the hoses will ya?! :)