[REPORTED] Unable to start APU and engines after running out of fuel

Oznerol256

I've had my fuel tank punctured by enemy ground fire in the DCS Huey, which forced me into an emergency landing.

Couldn't the Hornet suffer the same fate? How is that so much outside the "known regime" of a military aircraft that it would irritate you so much?

Yes it could happen in an F18 but unless you are gonna glide in and happen to land as the engines flame out then this so called bug could effect you, except it is irelevant IRL you are gonna hand it back to the engineers and grab another jet if one is available.

It's as relavent as me pushing a tank with a gazelle at only 3 knots dammit

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

You're being overly dramatic. All bugs should be reported, their prioritization is up to EDs project management. Don't discourage users from reporting actual bugs.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You're being overly dramatic. All bugs should be reported, their prioritization is up to EDs project management. Don't discourage users from reporting actual bugs.

This!

Yes it could happen in an F18 but unless you are gonna glide in and happen to land as the engines flame out then this so called bug could effect you, except it is irelevant IRL you are gonna hand it back to the engineers and grab another jet if one is available.

Let ED decide what they think is worth coding and where priorities fall. Stop being argumentative just for the sake of it. This is a bugs forum not a conversation forum.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

You are 100% correct. if you starve a jet there is no way you are gonna be starting it anytime soon.

So im cool with it not starting. Maybe try repairing the aircraft then starting it back up.....

good call on the repair.

However, in real life, aircraft do run out of fuel. Just because it does not happen often, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I do agree, however, that this should be a low priority fix... as if ED cares what I think should be priorities LOL

just in case they do, helmet slaving radar please! :)

Holy cow WindyTx you need to take a step back. Users should be encouraged to report ALL bugs regardless of how “irrelevant” you might think they are. Like any software company, ED will prioritize based on effort and criticality. The original poster didn’t even say this needs to be fixed ASAP, it’s just a bug report.

Calm down!

I think Oznerol256 bug post should be a model for other bug reports. He characterizes the problem very well. He describes very clearly how to reproduce it and includes a track.

Edited by gorgar0

Yep I guess I am just a bit frustrated by having a radar with zero lock tenacity and RWR that is garbage and then I see a load of bug reports that tbh I could happily live with for the rest of my time flying the F18C.

I just want an F18 that can operate in multiplayer like an F18C is capable of.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I don't know about the jets in the sim, most of my experience is with the Mi-8, but I can tell you that if you run it out of fuel, it's down for maintenance (replacement of both engine fuel control units), you cannot just refuel it and restart and go back to flying. It seems more realistic to me that if you run an aircraft our of fuel, you need to spawn a new aircraft, you shouldn't be able to just refuel a broken aircraft and go flying again. In this particular example, I would say that if you ran an aircraft out of fuel and landed it successfully, you should shouldn't even be allowed to refuel it since the ground crew will tell you thanks for bringing her back now she needs to go into maintenance.

But really I agree with both camps: First, just report everything and let ED sort it out. They have people whose sole jobs are the assignment and prioritization of bug reports. Second, just because something can be simulated, doesn't mean it should be simulated, for any number of reasons, but that's irrelevant and not our job as consumers to decide, just report everything and let ED sort it out.

I just want an F18 that can operate in multiplayer like an F18C is capable of.

Grab a ticket and wait in line. I don't mean to be rude but doesn't everyone want this? This is early access and there is nothing more frustrating for me to read all the complaints from "Top Guns" complaining that their F/A-18 is not as capable in MP as the next a/c.

Also i'll add that systems modeling is not about realistic or unrealistic procedures or actions from the pilot. Example.. - A pilot would never let this happen so dont simulate it.. DCS is beyond that in the sense that ED is trying to simulate the way the systems operate regardless of whether its a realistic action by the pilot or not. Totally irrelevant.

Grab a ticket and wait in line. I don't mean to be rude but doesn't everyone want this? This is early access and there is nothing more frustrating for me to read all the complaints from "Top Guns" complaining that their F/A-18 is not as capable in MP as the next a/c.

Also i'll add that systems modeling is not about realistic or unrealistic procedures or actions from the pilot. Example.. - A pilot would never let this happen so dont simulate it.. DCS is beyond that in the sense that ED is trying to simulate the way the systems operate regardless of whether its a realistic action by the pilot or not. Totally irrelevant.

Ok I will keep on pushing tanks with the gazelle.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 1 month later...
That is exactly what I am saying. In real life Aircraft never run out of fuel. Now I will admit I had a friend who flew Lightnings who flamed out an engine taxying in but that is the only example I have ever heard of. I have 10,000 hours and 3000 military If I ever ran my aircraft out of fuel at any stage in my career I would no longer have a job.

Would that include the most dire of circumstances in a war? You could be engaged in a dogfight in which you're too busy fighting to stay alive and can't separate from the enemy. That could run you out of fuel if you're using lots of AB.

Pardon me, but I'm low on fuel and have to RTB. Would you mind not shooting at me, so I can go home???

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

+1. If people find a bug, they should report it. Whether it is actually a bug or just an accepted limit in a simulation (all simulations have limits and assumptions) is up to the devs, as is the priority for addressing it.

IRL we spend a lot of time checking the fuel and have a bingo for RTB but we also have a figure where we would no longer start an intercept on a target and it was a lot to avoid the problem it used to be about 60%fuel. If you run out of fuel it's almost the same as getting shot down just easier to survive.

The reason I said it's probably not a bug is because as one of the ex technicians said it's not like a car if you run out of fuel you have to bleed the fuel lines to fill then all up prior to trying to start it. As we can repair anything in 3 mins it should probably work after that.

Edited by WindyTX

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The real question is:

Is having 80-100lbs left and the engines dieing up while taxiing off the runway really to be considered as "running out of fuel"? At least that's the case I had once, and it felt odd. I've seen others landing with less and the engines kept running.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
DCS 2.5.2.18736

After completely running out of fuel, i cannot restart the APU or the engines, even after refueling.

Steps to reproduce:

1. spawn on the ground, hot, with very little fuel

2. apply wheel chocks

3. use afterburner until all fuel is depleted.

4. both throttles to OFF

5. refuel using ground crew

6. apu switch to ON

7. observe apu failure to start. apu sw turns itself back off after a few seconds.

bonus round:

8. bleed air to OFF

9. request ground crew to connect ground air

10. request ground crew to apply ground air

11. engine crank sw to right

12. observe right engine rpm increasing

13. at 20%, move right throttle to IDLE

14. observe no increase in temperature and rpm. engine does not start.

in my track i also request ground power to visualize the fuel quantity on the DDI and IFEI.

They show plenty of fuel in all fuel tanks.

Work for me:

1. spawn on the ground, hot, with very little fuel

2. apply wheel chocks

3. use afterburner until all fuel is depleted.

4. both throttles to OFF

5. refuel using ground crew

6. apu switch to ON

7. observe apu failure to start. apu sw turns itself back off after a few seconds.

+ request ground crew to connect ground power

+ "External Power Switch": "Reset" and "Off" (important)

+ Battery Switch On

+ R Gen / L Gento Off (important)

8. bleed air to OFF

9. request ground crew to connect ground air

10. request ground crew to apply ground air

11. engine crank sw to right

12. observe right engine rpm increasing

13. at 20%, move right throttle to IDLE

14. Engine start :)

+ request ground crew to apply ground air

+ engine crank sw to left

+ observe left engine rpm increasing

+ at 20%, move left throttle to IDLE

+ R Gen / L Gen to ON

Done :)

• 3 months later...

Update - Not is a bug - Can be done:

#. Spawn on the ground, hot, with very little fuel

#. Apply wheel chocks

#. Use afterburner until all fuel is depleted

#. Both throttles to OFF

#. Keep Battery Switch ON and R Gen / L Gento ON

#. Refuel using ground crew

#. Request ground crew to connect ground power

#. Request ground crew to connect ground air

#. Request ground crew to apply ground air

#. Move "External Power Switch" to "Reset" position. Then, it automatically returns to normal - Wait 5 to 10 seconds in normal position, so move to OFF.

#. Engine crank sw to right

#. Observe right engine rpm increasing

#. At 20%, move right throttle to IDLE

#. Engine right start :)

#. APU now can be started to crank left engine :)

Edited by fbur

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...