Nvidia RTX cards and DCS - ?

I guess all the people pre-ordering the latest and greatest are using up all the manufacturing capacity for the cards at the moment. I guess those people didn't listen to the naysayers who are regretting their 1080ti purchases!!! :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 2000 series are on transitional 12nm node, already peaked, and it will be short lived one. Next year gen with be 7nm it will feature double the cores and higher clocks. Ray tracing is a no go for first gen, so I cant regret to have smartly skiped this launch. ;)

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I`ll take a deep breath for this round and say NO.

First gen legs have always been pretty short and this will be no different I am afraid. And for what shoudl I buy RT if DCS doesnt support it.

When the Rift-2 arrives there will be 7nm and the 2080ti an old lame duck.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Are you using VR? I imagine 1080Ti will keep up just fine unless you're looking for 4K at MAXed out settings.

I *was* going to wait, but I got this little email from EVGA so I pulled the trigger. Who was I kidding...I knew I couldn't hold out. :D

Like dburne, I'm just looking for the best possible VR experience.

It's nice to read some reviews that shows 47% increase w/o DLSS.

:thumbup:

Yep that is how I snagged one as well, got that email and happened to be at my desk at the time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ray tracing is a no go for first gen, so I cant regret to have smartly skiped this launch. ;)

Ray tracing is a no go? What are ya basing this on?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Ray tracing is a no go? What are ya basing this on?

In general, new tech may or may not get adopted quickly. DCS won't use proprietary technology anyway. But I believe I read that vulkan supports ray tracing. But I may buy BatteField5 just to see what RTX looks like in a game.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ray tracing is GPU intensive, and wont run well above 1080p. With these graphics cards costing around 1000$ and up, I dont see the point of having it and then run at that resolution when using ray tracing as the purpose of these cards is to run 4K otherwise.

My PC specs below:

Ray tracing is GPU intensive, and wont run well above 1080p. With these graphics cards costing around 1000$ and up, I dont see the point of having it and then run at that resolution when using ray tracing as the purpose of these cards is to run 4K otherwise.

And you're basing this off... Rumor and unoptimized drivers?

If these cards were garbage, Nvidia wouldn't be pricing it this high.

Even without raytracing, a 50% improvement over 1080ti rumored is nothing to sneeze at.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

does it require special coding support at the application level (in dcs), or will it “just work” ?

It looks like it would be fairly easy to get both dlss and raytracing Incorporated, though dlss is proprietary and has huge performance improvement compared with traditional graphics output.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

does it require special coding support at the application level (in dcs), or will it “just work” ?

Since an SDK is needed for Open Source Ray Tracing and the devs have to implement it, it won't just work. But at least ED can't say "it's proprietary so we won't support it"

From what I'm reading, there will be a game coming out "soon" that will support it. So we'll see.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This is such an exciting time as I have been using SLI 680 4 gigs now for the

past 5 years and I purchased a Evga 1080Ti FTW3 DT and am using three monitors

in 5860 x 1080 mode for DCS. I guess DCS being Direct X 11 is really slowing down

many systems but I felt it is the best flight sim and I invested a lot of money

into building a nice system 5 years ago and now its time to upgrade My GPU.

As I have 87 more days to participate in the "Step Up" program, I just had to at least

purchase what I could when the mining overwrought MSDS prices came down.

I want to purchase a Vive soon to use with DCS and cant help but

wonder if I should not just sell My two 680 cards with waterblocks attached

and make up the difference in price of the 2080Ti ?????

Well I jumped in with both feet.

I just pre-ordered EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Doing a complete new system build later this year anyway, just figured this would be my first major component for it lol.

"

Congrats dburne ! What are You running now?

Please let Us know how You like it when it arrives.

in 5860 x 1080 mode for DCS. I guess DCS being Direct X 11 is really slowing down

As I have 87 more days to participate in the "Step Up" program, I just had to at least

Yeah, I'm not sure why you would hold on to the 680's. The prices are going to drop the longer you wait. SLI is a failed exercise for DCS. So no big loss there, for DCS anyway. And with 87 days, you have plenty of time to wait for 1080Ti vs 2080Ti reviews.

Also, before you consider the Vive, I would strongly recommend Odyssey or similar. Unless you need Lighthouse full room tracking, the price of Vive makes no sense. Or you can see what the reviews for the Pimax 5K+ is like. But buying a Vive today doesn't make much sense to me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

And you're basing this off... Rumor and unoptimized drivers?

If these cards were garbage, Nvidia wouldn't be pricing it this high.

Even without raytracing, a 50% improvement over 1080ti rumored is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not saying the cards are garbage. Ray tracing is experimental tech and the silicon is way too expensive for this generation. We used to get the new cards for the same price as the old ones. They are 50% faster than a 1080ti but also 50% more expensive , potentially will be replaced by cheaper and much faster cards on 7nm next year, therefore value is very low. Hence my conclusion that you'd be better off skippingthe 20 series if you have a high end 10 series.

My PC specs below:

Hi,

I noticed you are running triple screens. I am trying to set this up for my rig but am not liking the left and right screens. The fov is warped and the wings are at a strange angle. Would you be able to give some advise on how to properly get this set up? thanks

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

Hi,

I noticed you are running triple screens. I am trying to set this up for my rig but am not liking the left and right screens. The fov is warped and the wings are at a strange angle. Would you be able to give some advise on how to properly get this set up? thanks

set 3 screens instead of 1 screen in graphic options and you wont have any distortion. If you have done that already? and its on a odd angle, angle your physical screen and play with the zoom. Guessing you are still at one screen in the options though

Now lets get back to the topic ;)

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

just my 2 cents: 2080x series will be a big failure which will teach nvidia a good lesson, at least I hope, paying 1400 euro for 30% increase in perofmance compared to a 1080TI is a theft!!!

the 1080ti cost 799 euro at Its launch, now the 2080ti costs 1500 euro..... that's a + 6000/700 euro ....

I really hope amd will fu***g wake up and produce 7nm navi gpu.......

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

just my 2 cents: 2080x series will be a big failure which will teach nvidia a good lesson, at least I hope, paying 1400 euro for 30% increase in perofmance compared to a 1080TI is a theft!!!

the 1080ti cost 799 euro at Its launch, now the 2080ti costs 1500 euro..... that's a + 6000/700 euro ....

I really hope amd will fu***g wake up and produce 7nm navi gpu.......

100% market driven. And I think the performance increase is about 50% from what I'm reading. If there is no demand, they'll learn a lesson. But I HIGHLY doubt it. It's a very niche market, after all. I mean we are the people that think nothing of buying $400 throttle/joysticks, and $200 rudders, 3 monitors, VR, 4K monitors, latest CPUs etc. Not all, but quite a few of us do. But I'd love AMD to provide some real heat to NVidia. Consumers win every time when there is credible competition.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

"

Congrats dburne ! What are You running now?

Please let Us know how You like it when it arrives.

EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3, i7 4820k at 4.5 GHz, 16 gb DDR3 ram.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

DLSS please ED

All ed need to do is semd Nvidia some bits to run through their systems and we can get dlss for free, which would give a big performance boost on the 2080 over the 1080ti

So ED, please do this :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gumbo's Flying Circus - Visit Twitch to Watch!

PC Specs: 2700x @ 4Ghz, 32Gb 3200 DDR4, 8GB Palit RTX 2080, Intel SSD7 NvMe, Samsung 860 Evo SSD, AOC G2460PF 144hz 1ms 1080p Freesync monitor, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackHat :pilotfly:

All ed need to do is semd Nvidia some bits to run through their systems and we can get dlss for free, which would give a big performance boost on the 2080 over the 1080ti

So ED, please do this :thumbup:

Agreed!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No joy on the DCS specific benchmarks from me guys, just cancelled my preorder, better luck next time Nvidia. The DX11 benches were terrible. Just buy a used 1080 Ti and wait for the next generation. Not sure what Nvidia was thinking with this one. Definitely not worth the upgrade. Used 1080 Ti's are under $400 right now.

Some of the Vulcan benchmarks on Doom looked promising, but we don't have any kind of time frame for the release of a Vulcan DCS build. If there's a worthwhile performance gain then I might pick up a Kingpin model.

If you are in the market for a $1200 card, the 2080 Ti is a better card than the Titan Xp, but other than that...

it was insasne since the begining ordering a piece of hadrware without real world benchamark...

this generation will be a flop, performance increase is about 20-30% at 2k 1440p resolutuon and almost 0% gain performance in 4k......I've seen the benchamrks on youtube and the rtx2080ti is very disappoiting for double the price of a 1080ti,.....

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black