Middle Earth Terrain

Anklebiter

How cool would it be if we could get Middle Earth as terrain with Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and most particularly, Dragons.

A flight of Hornets against a flight of Red Dragons and some wizard fire from the ground, taking out an army of Orcs.

Hey, why not, right? You could practically use Caucuses for this, and skin some existing units. A mod might do it, but an offical add-on... heck yeah!

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Well said !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It would be the only map I wouldn't think long and hard before buying. That'd be an instant purchase for me. I'd spend so much time on a map like that!0e893e49817a22c78999bd9a60102c6f.jpg3e9162eb103d707e4de100fde72a94fb.jpga58c1ab6a16dca053db678e3068a2311.jpgad10aff0ecf9c7f022be9024b2bf1783.jpgb4016b71167fe854fc00998d205c1d31.jpgec75dcfe4b4aaafbd80b9f3e4426905d.jpg

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

What the actual .....?
I'm with you.

WUT IN ELFNATION

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Ahaha, come on folks. Perhaps you would not countenance ED spending their effort on this, but how dang cool would it be! I'd just love to get a screencap of an F-14 about to be bit into by a flying beast, or an army of Orcs getting blown to hell by some low flying A-10s.

The world needs this.

It would be the only map I wouldn't think long and hard before buying. That'd be an instant purchase for me. I'd spend so much time on a map like that!

You and likely millions more. Major increase of market, with tons of extra cash to polish modules, optimize and add all the dream planes still missing, like Intruder, Aardvark, Tornado, etc.

I know it would alienate a certain small segment of the population, but think big picture!

I'm sure will never happen, but a man can dream. I love DCS and only want the best for ED.

Think of the endless debates over the dragon FM,.. :P

Not to mention the arguments about the performance of catapults range and guidance systems.

:D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Think of the endless debates over the dragon FM,.. :P

Not to mention the arguments about the performance of catapults range and guidance systems.

:D

OMFG, no way! the "purist's" crowd will go ape sh**. ;):megalol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Dude... let's not go there. IPR issues are easily solvable with a small army of lawyers, but there is a single reason why not:

The most traumatic and dividing question in the Tolkien fan community through the decades has been, "Do balrogs have wings?". Some renditions have naively taken the stance of one side while others have tried to skirt it eg. in the movie I thought I saw wings but I can't recall them from all the scenes, maybe there was just tons of CGI with fire and smoke effects so yeah I must have imagined it! The creature was scary as hell it even roared and eeriely reminded you of a minotaur. Plus Gandalf (one of the most badass characters you could claim) had to fight it in two separate movies.

Then you propose to mate this with a highly detailed flight simulator. It would be the greatest war known on internet forums.

PS. I still think balrogs could be modeled as a variable swept wing configuration. It's a kind of a hunch at the moment.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

How cool would it be if we could get Middle Earth as terrain with Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and most particularly, Dragons.

Like... not at all?

But to each their own. :D

Then you propose to mate this with a highly detailed flight simulator. It would be the greatest war known on internet forums.

Amen to that, brother! :smartass:

Middle Earth Terrain ?

Been requested for years:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

New Zealand + 1000KMx1000KM of South Pacific East of it

I've said that over and over...

Same land area as a 500x500 km map, but 1600 km long (2 separate 800km long islands !)

Maybe add the Chathams as an anchorage for carriers etc & get a 700km commute (1400km round trip) with only 30x30 km of extra land (take a little liberty & extend the runway/ramps slightly)

Or NZ + Tasmania ?

Still - what we're getting will be a good start

Originally Posted by Harrydalzell View Post

New Zealand

I was on a Flight that went the length of the country today and thought this would be a great place as it has many different terrains and is used by a couple of countries for low-level jet training

YES - at last someone else agrees

I've been putting that in every map wishlist for years...

Maybe take it over to a bit of Australia (NSW & Victoria gets you 8 RAAF bases + civilian airports - you only have to do the coast 'cause the rest of the country's empty :-)

NI vs SI

Varied terrain, plenty of regional tension between factions armed by different superpowers....

Cheers.

I'm all in on a Middle Earth terrain as long as we get an official DCS: Enterprise -D. I can swoop down in my galaxy class starship and perform some polite diplomacy and possibly grant provisional membership to the Federation!

I'm not kidding. :)

(especially now that Stage 9 is dead.:cry:)

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I regret even looking at the first post of this thread. Waste of time...

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

A flight of Hornets against a flight of Red Dragons and some wizard fire from the ground, taking out an army of Orcs.

Hey, why not, right? You could practically use Caucuses for this, and skin some existing units. A mod might do it, but an offical add-on... heck yeah!

OP, you are not serious? Are you serious?

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Seriously ED or 3rd parties shouldn't waste their resources making Fantasy or Sci Fi Maps for what is Aircraft Simulator taking place in the real world as far as units and locations go. These are nonsensical sort of requests ( I woulnt be surprised if this was in fact a purposeful for Trolling purposes)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

OP, you are not serious? Are you serious?

Absolutely. I grew up playing games and loving fantasy. I also grew up loving aviation and SIMS. The two together would be like chocolate and peanut butter.

Stuff like this is already in popular culture. "Independence Day" was brought up in this thread. You see "Infinity Wars"? This had militaryesque equipment going against an army of bug creatures.

Another fantasy type scenario was the movie "Final Countdown"."King Kong", "Rampage", etc. etc. The list is long.

Wouldn't have to be Middle Earth, although the flame wars comments are absolutely hilarious, and I'd love to participate.

I've seen this type of request on other boards. There isn't really anything else like it out there. As mentioned, politically neutral too, so a good choice from that standpoint.

There is a reason that there is "gaming" mode in DCS. This is not somehow "shameful" and does not detract from the enjoyment of those who prefer absolute historical accuracy.

Heck with a good campaign engine, a good portion of this is just skinning.

Edited by Anklebiter