F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

I'm not sure how to describe the sheer panic of launching something that is judged by thousands of people. It's not a nice feeling.

I am sure it is, but you made exceptional efforts to raise expectations... ;)

I am pretty sure of your intents and commitment and I appreciate that, but you did some heavy teasing with the cat so everybody is a bit over the top.

I won't give too much thought about the community reaction. Some will whine as always, some search for things to criticize, the majority will be overwhelmed and happy to fly it... :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, we're using the additional time to add more stuff, fix more bugs, polish more things.

That doesn't mean it will be perfect (far from it!), it simply means that we can squeeze more things in that we wouldn't have managed if we launched on Dec 21st, or whatever date. It's still EA - just shades of EA.

Everyone I spoke to was completely satisfied, some even astonished with the amount of content that was promised in the Pre-Order Trailer or in the December update, for the most part because it is by all means the most complete EA module ever released in DCS. Adding more stuff at the expense of delaying the release seems a little counterintuitive. Waiting until the 20th of march is a way bigger deal, especially for me because it's the day my semester break ends :(

Edited by mortalkombat

Your 'defence' of a developer doesn't invalidate legitimate criticism.

I didn`t mention the devs, it`s a general life observation that is true across a broad spectrum of life`s travails. Your rush to judgement speaks more about yourself than others.

Ok, I am done ranting and have given all the HB "fanboys" enough ammunition to feed off of supporting their beloved HB. It is what it is, and I have always been fine with the wait. Just not pleased with the communication.

The only thing they can possibly be blamed for is a bit of feature creep. Things like the "LANTIRN" which were initially not supposed to even be included at launch or were coming only deep into EA. And even that is understandable because if they released the F14 in the state the F18 was in at launch they would still get flak.

So either way they get flak. Launch late but more feature complete, shots fired. Launch early, with lots of features missing or incomplete. Shots fired.

They chose the former.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

This. Hype 5 weeks before release, not 5 months!

That's just not standard operating procedure anywhere in the gaming industry.

We've reached a lot of people who are completely unaware of DCS or DCS F-14 with our marketing roadmap. The downside to that is that those already in the know don't enjoy that as much.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

That's just not standard operating procedure anywhere in the gaming industry.

We've reached a lot of people who are completely unaware of DCS or DCS F-14 with our marketing roadmap. The downside to that is that those already in the know don't enjoy that as much.

Other devs have built up their hype more gradually, I think. That tends to reduce controversy, at least in my humble opinion. I'm well aware that I don't have the whole picture though. Either way I've bought, and hope you and the module do well :thumbup:

I do not think anyone is under the assumption that complaining about the lack of communication from Heatblur will get the module released. We all know at what speed this works, especially with them.

What happened by delaying, is that people are going to expect a better product. It goes both ways. There are positives and negatives to both approaches. Do they release early and listen to people complain? Do they wait (like they are doing) and god forbid something is wrong, then hear complaints.

They are working hard on the Tomcat there is no doubt about that. The major complaint most people have is their lack of communication. I am sure someone would have taken on that role for FREE. They choose to build the hype and make people thirst for more content.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

What comms do you want?

“We’re working hard, making progress...”

“We’re still working hard, making progress...”

“We’re working hard, little setback today, still making progress...”

It is axiomatic that chronic complainers tend to be unsuccessful. If they are in your business, get rid of them. We call them “Energy Vampires”. Send them to your competition. Do not wait.

Viewpoints are my own.

I understand your disappointment, but it's directly at odds with how development works (at least for us). It's not a zero sum game. :)

Well, e.g.:

• LANTIRN went from being planned as barebones at EA to basically complete.
  • JESTER might be able to operate LANTIRN (not sure on this one yet)
  • New JESTER stuff (G incapacitation, injuries, more variation, more polish, bugfixing)
  • De-weathering some stuff that was too extreme
  • More custom foley soundwork
  • ..etc

The point is, we're using the additional time to add more stuff, fix more bugs, polish more things.

That doesn't mean it will be perfect (far from it!), it simply means that we can squeeze more things in that we wouldn't have managed if we launched on Dec 21st, or whatever date. It's still EA - just shades of EA.

You really really shouldn't expect that. Sorry. It's early access- there will be bugs. If we had marketed the F-14 as a non-EA release, then that would be reasonable.

I'm not a fan of hiding behind the EA title - and I think we approach EA a little differently than the market does these days, but please keep your expectations in check considering it is EA.

If we launch Mar 20th and will be crunching every day until then, it's only driven by our desire to make it as good as we can until launch day. The harder we work, the better it is.

I'm not sure how to describe the sheer panic of launching something that is judged by thousands of people. It's not a nice feeling.

Doing a great job guys , I know us at CVW-11 appreciate the work you guys are putting in and glad your taking the time to get it right even as much as we want it. o7

Hawkeye

VF-213 CO

VCVW-11

http://www.vcvw-11.com

Heatblur F-14 SME

What comms do you want?

“We’re working hard, making progress...”

“We’re still working hard, making progress...”

“We’re working hard, little setback today, still making progress...”

It is axiomatic that chronic complainers tend to be unsuccessful. If they are in your business, get rid of them. We call them “Energy Vampires”. Send them to your competition. Do not wait.

LOL. :megalol: Maybe they will give everyone that says nice things the module a week before the rest.

I guess you do not remember the "3 month darkness?" How about the countdown clock? Will it be released? OMG what is this countdown clock for? Give me a break honestly. Look at things rationally do not be "Heatblured"

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

LOL. :megalol: Maybe they will give everyone that says nice things the module a week before the rest.

I guess you do not remember the "3 month darkness?" How about the countdown clock? Will it be released? OMG what is this countdown clock for? Give me a break honestly. Look at things rationally do not be "Heatblured"

Who cares? I don’t live in the gamer world of constantly being outraged over entertainment.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

It’s dripping with obvious attention to detail and general awesomeness.

Why do so many want it now? Every day it gets better. I hope they take their time.

en·​ti·​tle·​ment | [noun]

1a: the state or condition of being entitled

b: a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract

2: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

It’s dripping with obvious attention to detail and general awesomeness.

Why do so many want it now? Every day it gets better. I hope they take their time.

LOL, by this logic, I hope they hold onto it for years before release. Think how good it'll be then? Oh YEAH, baby...

Other devs have built up their hype more gradually, I think.

Yeah, M³ for instance. And they did earn a massive shitstorm for their reveal rdlaugh.png

Who cares? I don’t live in the gamer world of constantly being outraged over entertainment.

Right way to do it. Because it's more than enough to constantly be outraged over the shit that happens to you in real life every day. Entertainment is there for getting you down from that.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Release it when you are ready, take your time as much as you need matter not to myself. No amount of begging or complaining is going to change that.

Either way i'm sure it will be fantastic, i have bought a copy and so has my 76 year old father and i'm looking forward to hearing him scream at me over the mic about doing something wrong..

Father "Boy watch the ground, watch the tree's, watch the building, You are too low are you trying to give me a heart attack?"....reaches for mute.