F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds a lot more like buyers remorse to me. The "Caught up in the hype train" excuse is what he is using to rationalize it to himself or someone close to him.

Eh watching the videos and talking with friends I thought it would be a neat multi crew platform to fly a few of my guys around in, but with new F18 features coming online month after month I really don't think I'll fly the F14 for more than a week. I'm not a big fan of the old analogue cockpits and prefer the more modern complex systems that provide more detailed information as needed via the MFDs.

The more I watch videos on the F14 the less interested in the platform I am.

Eh watching the videos and talking with friends I thought it would be a neat multi crew platform to fly a few of my guys around in, but with new F18 features coming online month after month I really don't think I'll fly the F14 for more than a week. I'm not a big fan of the old analogue cockpits and prefer the more modern complex systems that provide more detailed information as needed via the MFDs.

Modern avionics and navigation systems are nice....but this is like a Supercharged Corvette versus a Toyota Supra. Raw power that will bite you in the ass if you don't have the skills to manage it. And the Tomcat's radar ability is excellent even by todays standards. I think its going to be a blast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

After reading part of the Natops manual I am fairly convinced the F14 will be the most complex module ever made for DCS, the AICS if done correctly will mean that if there is a warning on the Annunciation panel that if you try to reset it using essential dc bus you might also have some strange wing sweep behaviour as it is on the same circuit, so you then have to reset that as well.

Judging by the picture that was posted of the failures menu in the mission editor there will be an extensive list of potential failures that can happen. I'm sure that due to the analogue interface of all this pilots used to modern avionics will initially struggle to make the transition.

Then there is the raw power of this bird, an aircraft where the manual specifically prohibits intentional spins as they are incredibly hard to recover from and in at least the A model the engines are prone to compressor stalling in spins.

Then for the landing it is potentially unstable and as such will likely be much more of a handful as it is also prone to doing a sabre like dance on the stall envelope.

That's not to say the Hornet is not hard to fly, I wouldn't know as i have not flown it in the sim as you well know my tastes are more analogue compared to yours.

Then again it's all perspective i suppose as MFDs often confuse me at times and as such are harder for me to deal with in comparison to analogue switches and gauges.

-Aceru1

If you don't actually need that money to buy food with it, I don't think you should refund... :)

Don't let some steam gauges scare you away!

I'm sure the guys that are salivating over the upcoming release are going to be extremely happy with their purchase and the challenges the aircraft brings. For me, I've shelved my A10c and Harrier for the F18 based on where the module stands today. Once it has a tpod I know I'll never even look back at the Harrier & A10.

With that I'm sure I'll probably not get more than a week or two out of the F14 after the newness wears off. Honestly I'm a helo guy and really looking forward to new rotor-craft modules. The F18 just helps pass the time.

Just curious, you seem to be saying that as you see more of the plane in the newer videos you lose interest, but it was watching and talking about the early videos that drew you in, is that accurate?

If so, what was it about the early videos that got you interested? Was it the action-set-to-music cinematic style, the focus on dogfight maneuvering, seeing the plane mainly from the exterior rather than the cockpit, and/or something else? I'd just like to understand :)

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Modern avionics and navigation systems are nice....but this is like a Supercharged Corvette versus a Toyota Supra. Raw power that will bite you in the ass if you don't have the skills to manage it. And the Tomcat's radar ability is excellent even by todays standards. I think its going to be a blast.

^^^THIS! bring on the Turkey. ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

After reading part of the Natops manual I am fairly convinced the F14 will be the most complex module ever made for DCS, the AICS if done correctly will mean that if there is a warning on the Annunciation panel that if you try to reset it using essential dc bus you might also have some strange wing sweep behaviour as it is on the same circuit, so you then have to reset that as well.

Judging by the picture that was posted of the failures menu in the mission editor there will be an extensive list of potential failures that can happen. I'm sure that due to the analogue interface of all this pilots used to modern avionics will initially struggle to make the transition.

Then there is the raw power of this bird, an aircraft where the manual specifically prohibits intentional spins as they are incredibly hard to recover from and in at least the A model the engines are prone to compressor stalling in spins.

Then for the landing it is potentially unstable and as such will likely be much more of a handful as it is also prone to doing a sabre like dance on the stall envelope.

That's not to say the Hornet is not hard to fly, I wouldn't know as i have not flown it in the sim as you well know my tastes are more analogue compared to yours.

Then again it's all perspective i suppose as MFDs often confuse me at times and as such are harder for me to deal with in comparison to analogue switches and gauges.

-Aceru1

The F14 isn't difficult to land safely, it is difficult to land precisely to make the LSO's happy. Easy to get Fair's and avoid No Grade's, tough to snarf OK's. I find the Hornet a PITA because of difficult in seeing power settings and the concept of numbers changing on the HUD without seat of the pants feedback. The F14 displays are fine for these purposes. I'll give you lots of gouge when the module comes out and I can work out the numbers.

The F14B isn't spin prone if the pilot isn't a complete dolt. It is amazingly fun to fly and gives amazing feedback. You'll pick it up quickly. You fly the F14, you merely point the Hornet.

Know how many AICS failures I had in eight years? That's right. ZERO...

Jester is gonna take care of a lot of your worries. Cut him loose- go get 'em kid, I'll be right with you all the way. Jester takes care of a lot of the tedious work.

You have an issue with "RAW Power"? Turn in your man card right now, go fly S-3's. ;)

It is a fun, honest aircraft with a few idiosyncrasies. If you couldn't get the Inertial to begin alignment, a trick was to pull and reset the combined hydraulic pump control CB. What does hydraulics have to do with the INS? Well, the parking brake had to be set to begin a ground alignment. Sometimes the signal wouldn't be valid, and cycling the hydraulic system that the brakes were on would "wake it up". How fun is THAT!

Glad to see someone reading NATOPS, but don't get too bogged down in it. The jet is a blast to fly.

Right now. I'd be focusing on memorizing the Landing checklist, the spin recovery (you will likely need the first six or seven steps if any), and the limit speeds for flaps, gear, etc.

Viewpoints are my own.

I'm new to this forum, but I've been watching for nearly a year. So hello everyone. I just wanted to say that waiting is SO much easier when you don't pre-order. Well at least for me it is. I'll just buy it when it comes out and pay full price. Time goes a lot faster that way.

I just wanted to say that waiting is SO much easier when you don't pre-order. Well at least for me it is. I'll just buy it when it comes out and pay full price. Time goes a lot faster that way.

Yeah, same here. Given the lack of content shown, I had a feeling it won't be out any time soon when the pre-orders started, so it made little sense to me to rush with the purchase.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Just curious, you seem to be saying that as you see more of the plane in the newer videos you lose interest, but it was watching and talking about the early videos that drew you in, is that accurate?

If so, what was it about the early videos that got you interested? Was it the action-set-to-music cinematic style, the focus on dogfight maneuvering, seeing the plane mainly from the exterior rather than the cockpit, and/or something else? I'd just like to understand :)

The excitement of a new module combined with a lot of Discord friends that wanted to multi crew. Sounded like fun at first but I'm enjoying the new Harms and Mavs on the F18 and really excited about the Warthog's tpod being implemented with the module.

I might give the F16 a try when it finally released but the F14 will just be a hanger queen for me. To add to the sour taste I sent Heatblur an email politely asking for a refund. If they refuse it won't be the end of the world but it's been almost a week and it appears they are just ignoring the request and not addressing it.

The excitement of a new module combined with a lot of Discord friends that wanted to multi crew. Sounded like fun at first but I'm enjoying the new Harms and Mavs on the F18 and really excited about the Warthog's tpod being implemented with the module.

I might give the F16 a try when it finally released but the F14 will just be a hanger queen for me. To add to the sour taste I sent Heatblur an email politely asking for a refund. If they refuse it won't be the end of the world but it's been almost a week and it appears they are just ignoring the request and not addressing it.

We don't (intentionally) ignore anyone. Aleksander will get to your request ASAP and process it.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The F14 isn't difficult to land safely, it is difficult to land precisely to make the LSO's happy. Easy to get Fair's and avoid No Grade's, tough to snarf OK's.

My experience in the Aerosoft Tomcat is right, then. I can get three wire fairs all day long, but the OK pass is rare enough that I just pull off into the six pack, shut down, and appreciate the moment.

And that's perfectly fine to be with that choice. Peoples' tastes differ from others and not everyone will prefer the same thing as one another. As long as the "Which is better" debate does not occur, all is well. :) For me, I will always be with the Kitty, because to me, it is a tried-and-true example of how better technology doesn't always equate out to a better outcome.

And that's perfectly fine to be with that choice. Peoples' tastes differ from others and not everyone will prefer the same thing as one another. As long as the "Which is better" debate does not occur, all is well. :) For me, I will always be with the Kitty, because to me, it is a tried-and-true example of how better technology doesn't always equate out to a better outcome.

This. There is plenty to be said for both. On one hand the F/A-18 was built to complement the ‘Cat, not the other way around. On the other the F/A-18 showed enough substantive and upgrade potential that, when the Cold War ended, the Hornet served as the basis for the ‘Cat’s replacement.

Makes me wonder what kind of combat aircraft we might have today if the USSR had persisted and had unveiled tech like the PAK FA, but we’ll never know because they had to go and collapse. Inconsiderate ****s, don’t they know we have a game to play?!

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

I'm not an expert but I think "caught up in the hype train" isn't in the terms and conditions when you parted with your money? Again I am no expert so.......

All the best.

:thumbup:

Well people getting anxious and impatient is all part the show when HB sold the pre order.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Makes me wonder what kind of combat aircraft we might have today if the USSR had persisted and had unveiled tech like the PAK FA, but we’ll never know because they had to go and collapse. Inconsiderate ****s, don’t they know we have a game to play?!

You won't have to wonder for long. China is very much playing the game now, and far better than Russia ever did. They've already leapfrogged Russia in 5th gen stealth developments and will almost certainly match or surpass western warfare tech in the coming 10-20 years.

A few primary areas of technology that the west, and particularly the US, have had a phenomenal lead are CFD, stealth mathematics, and materials science. Russia is still decades behind the west in those areas (lack of foreign investments and poor domestic R&D/manufacturing infrastructure, among a thousand other reasons. Problems that China simply doesn't have.)

And China is catching up fast. Many of the their recent developments can be attributed back to a decade of DoD and Lockheed hacks, directly and indirectly, and other espionage activities, but it doesn't really matter how you get there, does it.

EDIT: All of which is why my first vote for a new map goes to the South China Sea, although there's a near-zero chance of getting one. This mud hut bombing we love to do here is entirely inconsequential compared to that powder keg further east. China is the redfor of the future.

Anyways, went a little OT there.

Back OT, if anyone expects the F-14 to release before March 20th...all I can say is you must be new here.

Edited by SonofEil
grammer, clarity

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

You won't have to wonder for long. China is very much playing the game now, and far better than Russia ever did. They've already leapfrogged Russia in 5th gen stealth developments and will almost certainly match or surpass western warfare tech in the coming 10-20 years.

Two primary areas of technology that the west, and particularly the US, have had a phenomenal lead are CFD and stealth mathematics, and materials science. Russia is still decades behind the west in those areas (lack of foreign investments and poor domestic R&D/manufacturing infrastructure, among a thousand other reasons. Problems that China simply doesn't have.)

China is catching up much faster. Sure, much of the most recent developments can be attributed back to the DoD and Lockheed hacks, directly and indirectly, and other espionage activities, but it doesn't really matter how you get there, does it.

Very good point. Understanding the danger of an adversary catching up to US air capability produced the Tomcat and the Eagle. This time it produced the F-35. That speaks volumes.

less than 2 months :)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5