New VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle Announced

Matchstick

Virpil have just annoucned they are doing an update of the T-50CM throttle.

New version look to have a be smaller smaller base & be cheaper but with somewhat fewer controls (particularly on buttons and rotary axis)

No mention of detents so presumably this version won't have them, either.

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-throttle.html

There's also a bracket for fitting it to Warthog throttle mounts

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-throttle-tmw-throttle-mounting-adapter.html

Plus they are now releasing a 200mm S-bend extension and will no be taking Credit Card payment for Pre-orders

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/897-pre-orders-update-and-unveiling-the-vpc-mongoost-50cm2-throttle/

There are many variations now. I do like the small form factor though.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

No detents no buy for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Interesting, that looks to be more of what I'm looking for for a VR throttle, where I rarely use the various buttons on "box" part of it.

How close is it to an F18 throttle?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

"Analog Slew Stick" is not new feature, appear in T50 V3 throttle.

I guess that VPC will offer extra panels - to be attached to deskmount, and could have extra axes, so they are not needed on throttle. And the price reduction leave their throttle more close to Warthog throttle and the probable price of VKC TECS (~$250).

I like that, it looks a lot more like what I am wanting, the other throttle was too large for me.

They also state a 20 degree increase in "throw" I'll need to check if that means it has the same or greater "throw" than the Hog, which I currently use. It was the lack of "throw" (or physical movement) on the previous models that stopped me considering it.

Still a pity though that there is not some form of detent for AB (preferably removable or better adjustable). I use a Debolestes part in my Hog and it's awesome (just a bit of friction then you continue)

Looks more a "downgrade" than a "update", cost less ~40 Euros but lost a bunch of functions and axes.

It's 50 euros, not 40, and the reduced size and weight should save an additional bundle on the (very expensive) international shipping. The keycaps can be removed and labelled, the throttle has 20 degrees more throw, the guarded toggle and cone of shame button will not be missed, the simplified layout will be better for "find by grope" in VR, the detachable cable and beefed-up flap lever are very nice. With THIS MANY buttons, yes still, and DCS support for shift buttons, and clickable cockpits for things I use so infrequently I won't bother to memorize where they are on the joystick anyway, I really don't see the need for a five way mode dial. I guess it'll make a good fuel tank selector for the P-51. I'd have preferred a three position latching switch on the butt end of the grip to have for A-10 lights control, but I'll take another rotary encoder over the original two position latching switch. The two toggles hidden between the throttle and flap lever look like a bother to get to, but oh well. It does look more toy-like, but let's not fool ourselves; it --is-- a toy.

Been waiting for the right kit to replace my excellent TWCS+mmjoyX35T frankenbeast. This one is finally a definite buy.

Be aware that the new cost and feature reduced version will be REPLACING

the current version V3 of the throttle

I for one was hoping for a V4 with maybe a couple of minor changes ....

but sadly we got this new version which will be the only one they will be selling

A choice of 2 throttle types would have been great

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

When I was reading the announcement of the v3 I was thinking "dammit I just bought the throttle and now they have an upgraded version?" When I saw the picture I thought "oh. I like mine better. I"m glad I bought it when I did!"

In comparison, the v4 to me feels more like a "CM-lite". I can see why they might think the v4 size is more appropriate -- when I bought the v3 I was expecting something more along the size of the v4, I think, because when I got it I thought "wow this thing is big". I don't mind the size now, though, and every time I look at the thing I'm impressed and pleased. Also with the v4, I'd really miss having the two axis dials.

So yeah, it doesn't feel like an upgrade to me. My read of the announcement (a comment in their facebook post as I recall) was that the v3 will be available for "one more batch". If I hadn't already bought, I'd definitely buy the v3 before it goes away.

Honestly, I never really liked Virpil throttles as the throttle grip has a short throw and is mounted way too forward (it should be mounted centrally like e.g. TM Warthog). Also, it has too many rotary analog controls at the bottom row that I wouldn't have use for.

The only thing I miss on the TM Warthog throttle is the five position rotary encoder. The new grip itself seems very nice on the V3, but it's offset by no afterburner detents which is a joke in that price range.

But, this "new" design looks somewhat funny if it's really going to be the main option from now on. Mounting that toyish-sized thing on a TM Warthog mount just to have the empty space as a constant reminder of what you're missing seems off..

But, I guess the idea is to allow you to choose the extra control panel for it, so I'd have to see what those will look like first.

Though, I'd expect to see some inline connection options at the rear or sides of it for these panels. I guess the front one would have to be positioned at an angle given those protruding front connections.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I for one was hoping for a V4 with maybe a couple of minor changes ....

but sadly we got this new version which will be the only one they will be selling

A choice of 2 throttle types would have been great

Instead you get a smaller throttle, with better throttle features and less button features and you get to decide which auxiliary button boxes you want to complete the setup.

Win-win, if you ask me.

Bit surprised, I own Version 3 of the Virpil throttle and much prefer what it offers over what Version 4 appears to be offering. Version 3 looks like it belongs in a serious pit, .... Version 4 seems like a lighted toy. None too big on the Verison 4 appearance.

This! I'm actually glad that I have the first version now. It seemed like a compromise without the analog stick back then but with the VKB stick my HOTAS isn't lacking anything now, including detents even if they aren't reliable. The V4 looks like a crippled toy in comparison despite some improvements.

Honestly, I never really liked Virpil throttles as the throttle grip has a short throw and is mounted way too forward (it should be mounted centrally like e.g. TM Warthog). Also, it has too many rotary analog controls at the bottom row that I wouldn't have use for.

Each to their own but the throttle placement is excellent actually. It would be really difficult to access any buttons or other controls in front of the throttle. I'm glad it's all in the back where the hand easily reaches everything. The throttle handles are in perfect position ergonomically.

Only two of the knobs on the bottom are analogue. I haven't mapped them to anything yet but the possibilities seem awesome especially for multiplayer comms.

The three other knobs are fantastic for all sorts of brightness, contrast or anything that requires such adjustment. I'd take yet another row of those if I had the choice! Right now I'm too limited with three and they perform six different functions with shift modes.

Each to their own but the throttle placement is excellent actually. It would be really difficult to access any buttons or other controls in front of the throttle. I'm glad it's all in the back where the hand easily reaches everything. The throttle handles are in perfect position ergonomically.

I can understand that if you use mounts, but if you have it on the desktop or some stand in front of you or something, it's somewhat too far forward.

The three other knobs are fantastic for all sorts of brightness, contrast or anything that requires such adjustment. I'd take yet another row of those if I had the choice! Right now I'm too limited with three and they perform six different functions with shift modes.

It's perfectly understandable what they can be used for, but I don't really need to adjust those that often (e.g. in those rare occasions, a look towards the panel and a mouse wheel adjustment is enough). I'd prefer some more used controls to be at the front row, but that's subjective, of course.

Though, I'm really curious to see what sorts of extra panels they have in plan for the new throttle.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Though, I'm really curious to see what sorts of extra panels they have in plan for the new throttle.

They are running a competition between players for ideas, the best - for jet, propeller and spaceships, will be put in production and the guy receive a voucher for VirPil store.

Sample of suggestions presented - the box size is defined by VirPil:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_2019_08/AZS-panel.thumb.jpg.5c8785df36ffc4987dbff55e97422220.jpg

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_2019_09/1624111610_.thumb.jpg.cfde7469f8f1e28ccce71a9f7f62fcae.jpg

User made: https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_2019_10/001.thumb.jpg.2189e3784c3217b77dd4cc604ad6a4de.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br

This seems like a bit of a downgrade from the V3. While I was quite frustrated by the lack of documentation I am glad I have the V3 especially if it is being discontinued and replaced by this version. The V3 fitted to my desk with the Monstertech assembly feels just right. I would not want to go back to a throttle on the desk surface.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

EGJCudgUwAEfmuW?format=jpg&name=large

The first stage of the community design competition (panel) is completed. Thank you to everyone who participated!

The VIRPIL Controls team are now preparing the publication of submitted entries! Due to the heavy load, this will be completed in the next 2-3 days.

Stay tuned!

Edited by Sokol1_br