Motion Sickness - No hope for me?

dooom

Hey all,

So i bought my son an Oculus Go for the holidays and had some opportunity to try it out. Now I recognize that the go differs greatly from HTC and even the rift S technical specs but i was looking forward to checking out what the experience might be like for flying.

I was always interested in upgrading my system for DCS VR so this seemed like an easy test before jumping into the expense.

That said, I downloaded a couple games for him - one being a low graphical fidelity arcade flight game called "ultrawings" - see below:

man o man ... did i ever get sick.

I have never had motion sickness beyong a bit of a yuck factor on spinning fair rides... this was FAR worse. Here is my questions:

1 - I presume the Frame rate on the Oculus Go is likely abysmally low compared to a dedicated VR rig... would this help the sickness?

2 - has anyone pushed through the sickness and adjusted to VR with no future issues?

3 - is the Go a fair test? I am not wanting to upgrade multiple K worth just to go green again.

4 - is there a different app you would recommend for the go that I should test to approximate dcs? are there any youtube videos you can point me to that would let me see dcs in VR on the GO?

5 - Does resolution matter for sickness?

6 - am I farked?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Many people experience that at first - key is to take breaks when first feel it coming on.

Took me a couple of weeks to get acclimated to it, does not bother at all now.

And yes, the Go could also be a contributing factor along with how the game does.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I felt dizzy for like three days, seriously nauseated for those time but these feeling kind of wore off as the days goes by with use. It was so bad for me I had to sleep afternoons to get some relief.

It is not generally advisable to use VR for long hours but your brain would get used to it.

I have seen my vertigo reduced overtime, really enjoyed those high sense of height from the initial time of use when descending, ascending and during rolls.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I believe the Go is 3 DOF only. It only tracks rotation of your head but not your head's position in space. This would definitely cause nausea in any flight sim environment.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I'm sure you've already done this but you may try moving the headset to different positions on you face. When I first received the CV1 I was wearing it too high and it was making me slightly ill. I then actually read the directions, moved it farther down my face and all was well. I'm a sailor and boat captain, crossed the Gulf of Mexico, sailed the Atlantic and do not get seasick so it was really odd to get sick in the Rift. However if the lenses aren't lined up right with your pupils you will get sick; you'll at least get headaches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I think the Go is fine, I don't believe that would be the issue.

I felt really bad the first time I tried VR, nauseous for many hours and convinced VR wouldn't be for me. I tried again but stopped the moment I started to feel bad and repeated this increasing the time until I got my VR legs.

You can't push through motion sickness. Your brain believes you have been poisoned which is why it is trying to make you sick as it deals with the mismatch between vision and inner ear inputs. Over time you can train your brain to deal with the disparity.

A few will find they never can just like some never get over motion sickness when travelling but there are many that have the same story of feeling nauseous with VR who become VR veterans.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yeah riding in a car makes me sick as can be, always has. And now especially as I can no longer drive a car it is really rough. Needless to say I do not travel much at all any more. Far cry from when I use to travel all the time for my work.

But now I can use VR many hours a day without a problem, and use it pretty much daily now as it is. Many hours a week. Yep I am obsessed with it. Need help I reckon lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For me i got adapted to the motion sickness quite quickly but last weekend i tried a racing sim (an old one, GTR2 because all others are Steam only except Live For Speed) and i had to stop after a while. The bumping of the car on certain tracks made me feel very uncomfortable.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This is not a matter of weeks but more a matter of months to get used to VR without motion sickness. It is an organic adaptation process so the time scale is different.

seems I'm a guy with superpowers I had no idea I have - for me it took some two hours to get over that strange VR feeling and it never came back :huh:

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Had a real-life pilot here a little while ago, showcasing some DCS modules for him, so he was using VR for the first time in his life. It got to the point where he felt so sick he actually had to use the bathroom to throw up... and call it quits.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It really depends on the game. The perspective matters a lot. If it's even off by an imperceptible amount, it can cause motion sickness. I've had a few games that no matter how you tried to center yourself, they'd cause motion sickness (Ground Runner Trials was perhaps the worst offender in my experience). But DCS world does not seem to suffer from this issue at all. I know next to nothing about your headset, but I'm currently using a Rift S for DCS. It's great.

[...]

That said, I downloaded a couple games for him - one being a low graphical fidelity arcade flight game called "ultrawings" - see below:

man o man ... did i ever get sick.

I have never had motion sickness beyong a bit of a yuck factor on spinning fair rides... this was FAR worse. Here is my questions:

1 - I presume the Frame rate on the Oculus Go is likely abysmally low compared to a dedicated VR rig... would this help the sickness?

2 - has anyone pushed through the sickness and adjusted to VR with no future issues?

3 - is the Go a fair test? I am not wanting to upgrade multiple K worth just to go green again.

4 - is there a different app you would recommend for the go that I should test to approximate dcs? are there any youtube videos you can point me to that would let me see dcs in VR on the GO?

5 - Does resolution matter for sickness?

6 - am I farked?

Since I am still waiting for Oculus Link I also bought Ultra Wings to get my feet wet with VR flying.

You can change the comfort level in the game - maybe for the beginning you could try with the most comfortable option.

I´ve only done a few sessions myself but it does get better with time.

Just take it slow and if you feel sick then take a break.

How long will it take? No idea - my guess is that its different for everyone.

I never had big issues with VR, but my GF tried it once and had a bad time.

If you are seriously trying to get into VR, then get a VR Headset that has solid tracking.

Rift S or Valve Index. WMR devices could be also a good choice, but I've no experience with those.

Smooth solid believable tracking is the key to not overload the brain.

Some recommend ginger chewing gum to occupy the brain. Short sessions. Take many breaks while flying.

Don't do acrobatics or fly helicopter the first couple weeks. Those actions can trigger motion sickness rather quickly.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard