[REPORTED] catapult broken - Destroys aircraft while trying to "attach"

T-Pap

• ED Team

Can I ask everyone seeing this to attach the shortest track replay they can showing this.

Also is the mission being used have airboss scripted mission?

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Can I ask everyone seeing this to attach the shortest track replay they can showing this.

Also is the mission being used have airboss scripted mission?

thanks

It's hard to do a "short" track when the problem seems to be occurring mostly after landing and taking off, then the subsequent landing. I tried to make a fast test of it using the default F-18 instant action carrier landing mission (so in this case, no scripts, no mods, and definitely no AIRBOSS), as vanilla as I could make it.... and after the first landing onboard had no issues at all hooking up to CAT 3. Took off, landed, tried hooking up to CAT 3 again and I got tossed like a horseshoe.

CatapultCrazinessBug2.trk

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

My situation Update:

Player F-14B can be launched by holding the Nose Strut Compression Switch down, but AI F-14B still won't work.

After that, Catapult launched the first time(from Catapult 3), and then returned to the ship, more bugs triggered as below.

1. Nose wheel unable to hook Catapult 1 and 2.

2. Trying to hook Catapult 3 again, the Aircraft boomed on the deck.

CarrierTestMission.trk

Edited by Sonoda Umi

We ran a lan session yesterday, six pilots on the Stennis with latest Open Beta.

Server Memory issues were definitely fixed :-)

Still saw some CAT problems

If you spawned on the CAT 1-4 it works.

For F-18, if you land and try to hook up on any CAT in the right position, it wouldn’t hookup using the “U” key.

For the F14, pilots they got hooked upjust fine, but going for the launch, they got the salute and were just stuck there, with no launch.

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting thrown off cat 3

Still getting thrown off cat 3 after DCS 2.5.6.44266 Open Beta 2020-03-04 - "Memory leak using stennis - fixed." The attached track is made on a different computer using a different mission than the previous one. Humorously you are charged with fratricide and loose your combat score when you are thrown into other aircraft :)

cat 3 throw and blow 2.5.6.44266.trk

I haven't flown in almost a month due to issues since 2.5.6 and every hotfix and update since. Don't get me wrong i appreciate everything ED is doing but seriously these type of issue should be handled prior to release and there should be a test group that will put everything through its paces prior to release. :(

New hotness: I7 8700k 4.7ghz, Crucial Ballistix 32gb ddr4, EVGA RTX2080 Super, TM Warthog, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 6700 ~3.2GHZ, 32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX1080 TM Warthog. Rift CV1.

Still getting thrown off cat 3 after DCS 2.5.6.44266 Open Beta 2020-03-04 - "Memory leak using stennis - fixed." The attached track is made on a different computer using a different mission than the previous one. Humorously you are charged with fratricide and loose your combat score when you are thrown into other aircraft :)

Memory Leak has nothing to do w/ the catapult issue.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

How is it 3 patches have released that actually don't solve the problem?

Are these patches even getting tested before getting pushed to us?

Some items are easier to track and fix than others,

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I haven't flown in almost a month due to issues since 2.5.6 and every hotfix and update since. Don't get me wrong i appreciate everything ED is doing but seriously these type of issue should be handled prior to release and there should be a test group that will put everything through its paces prior to release. sad.gif

How is it 3 patches have released that actually don't solve the problem?

Are these patches even getting tested before getting pushed to us?

As SkateZilla points out, it's not always that simple to track (and solve) a bug, not even when it worked fine before.

At my work (car factory), cars pass by on the production line things sometimes didn't work as it should have been. Car's location is determined by 2 camera's scanning a band (located under the production platform) with all QR-Codes on it. When it reached a particular location, it sends a telegram saying, hi, i'm car "x" to a tracking computer and then the workers need to put doors, hoods etc... on that car with the use of powertools. These powertools get their command from the computer who follows the cars and it only gives permission to "liberate" the powertools when it's determined which car is at that station and after everything is mounted, all data from the powertools (predicted torque for the bolts used, effective torque per bolt used and graphs and lots of other stuff...) is send back and attached virtually to that car. However, sometimes the powertools didn't receive permission to be used and everything came to a stand still (briefly because there's always a manual backup process to keep the production line going).

Took the programmers more then a few weeks to find out what really happened and when they finaly tracked down the bug the first thing they said was: "how on earth is it possible that it ever worked before"!!!

So they tracked down a bug, solved it but then wondered how it was possible that it worked before without them changing the software.

But it did work before, sometimes hours without a problem so i then wonder... did they really found the correct solution for the initial problem or did they solve it by changing/adding some code to bypass the recurring problem but is the actual bug still present?

Even years after new production lines are constructed, bugs are still surfacing, just depending on who does what at a certain configuration the production is in or what happens on certain rare conditions. With todays complexity, it's simply not possible to test everything.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

i appreciate the work ED has put into DCS, it looks great, and VR got a big bumf in the last major release, colours pop, the night lighting (ok, the heavy clouds still glow up from underside) but all in all the game looks a lot better. Certain aircraft - especially the F14, went from being a bit laggy in VR, to as smooth as the rest. We also we treated to a ton of modules in the last 18 months, probably doubled the game in around that time...

and here's the but...

more and more simple bugs are getting through every release (by simple, i mean show stoppers that crop up within 10 minutes, like steam client not starting, like carriers not launching, like crash to desktop when you try to start an engine, like p51 engines popping, like your throttle and smoke controlling everyone else's thrust exhaust and smoke in MP...

I understand the more complex issue take longer to figure out and correct, the "if you press this, then this, then do that, then press the other, X happens" but i'm on about the simple stuff.

Please ease off on the "new module announced" NOTAMs and make 2020 live up to its name and reflect on hindsight for all these bugs that everyone is going on about more than ever. As with a lot of people here, I'm invested into DCS and its not just the money, but the time put into learning it all, practicing everything, especially the community built up around the various servers and such like. These are all assets that many enjoy and if I already see numbers dwindling since the last few weeks and the sad thing was, until then, numbers were some of the highest i'd seen across the board.

Please take the money you made with all the modules and sales from last year, and invest into the long-term core sim and stability etc. judging by what people fly now, vs a year ago, I know Waggs wasn't joking when he said it had been a fantastic year. Thanks, we will appreciate it, and in the end the people at ED will depend on it.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

• ED Team

Memory leak on stennis is fixed.

We are still working on CAT issues, when we have a fix we will let you all know

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Did some testing on CAT 3 tonight. I have my log file and I can get the replay if you want them.

This is what I did and what I observed.

Flying F18 Hornet

On the first two tests - I did not dial in or contact the Stennis Tower. But taxied direct to CAT 3. On the way I would recieve the f10 menu - items Request Take off & Abort Takeoff. I did not enter either.

Once over CAT 3, lowered launch bar, single tap of 'U' key (My keyboard bind for connect to Catapult). Deck Toss both times.

Test 3 - Dialed in Stennis ATC - requested Launch, taxied to CAT 3, single tap of 'U' to connect, Deck Toss.

This occured on the VUSN multiplayer server. I then shifted to single player mission for aircraft with hotstart to reduce start up time in the event of deck toss.

Test 4 - Stennis - Hornet Hot Start. Dialed in an contacted Stennis Tower requesting take off. Taxied to CAT 3 from Elevator 2. Lowered Launch Bar, Double Tapped 'u', message saying take off aborted taxi to parking. Double Tapped again, message saying take off aborted taxi to parking, Then single tap 'u', blast shield up and hornet connected to catapult. I, selected abort take off from f10 menu, and went to raise the launch bar. This did not happen visually, the hornet had the launch bar down, but the cockpit toggle showed up. The blast shield was down. I ran up the engines to 60% no movement, still connected. Went to full power and cat launch.

Test 5 Same as test 4 but did not attempt to abort launch once connected to catapult, launched as per normal, but crashed into a static aircraft during bolter - my fault.

Let me know if you want my log file

Welcome to Crash Test Chronicles.

I have a youtube clip demonstrating the different issues with CAT 3 and a potential work around until it is fixed.

To sum up. It appears that when you first connect to the mission you can single tap 'u' to connect to the CAT and you may not get thrown off the deck. This video showed that you you could connect and all was good.

If you have trapped and are taxiing to a CAT for a new Launch, I would recommend that you dial in the tower frequency request parking, you will then, probably, be given approval to take off from runway.....". When you get to the CAT, Lower the launch bar and double tap 'u', If you get a message saying taxi to parking, all is good, single tap 'u' and connect to the CAT. If you don't get any message or movement, do not attempt to connect to the CAT you are most likely to be tossed across the deck. Taxi around and try again.

I can "absorb" glitches like not being able to hook up to the cat or effects of pitching and rolling decks on alignment with the cat or constant sliding (which I haven't seen recently) but this one's a bit weird... sort of like the "bubble" around the newly introduced (and cancelled) cows:smilewink: