HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

I keep hearing how simple it is to run WMR with Steam VR, yet I keep seeing post after post after post of people trying to come to grasp with how to get it all to work together to their liking...

LOL.

Anyways, I will be looking forward to hearing reports from you folks that have got them on order, when you do finally get them. I will decide then at that time if it is for me. Assuming I don't get too eager and take the plunge beforehand.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

problem with G1 and shooter game is, I can't run because I cannot lower my rifle. even if I manage to lower it and run picking it up to my sight makes a funny appearance like it was coming from behind, upside down, or was pointing backwards because the controller was coming back from out of view. side camera will help with throwing nades but an angled down camera would have made tracking perfect

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

I keep hearing how simple it is to run WMR with Steam VR, yet I keep seeing post after post after post of people trying to come to grasp with how to get it all to work together to their liking...

LOL.

I just write that off as being similar to what happens quite often in my line of work. There are always going to be people who tend toward over-thinking a problem. Hours are spent researching and discussing a squawk before the plane even shows up. Then the plane shows up and it turns out the pilot just had a switch in the wrong position. :doh::lol:

I do wish they'd stop messing with the defaultvrsettings file, which they seem to do now with every update. But, its almost expected now, so most of the time I remember to fix it to get motion reprojection turned back on.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I do wish they'd stop messing with the defaultvrsettings file, which they seem to do now with every update. But, its almost expected now, so most of the time I remember to fix it to get motion reprojection turned back on.

Have you considered using SteamVR to manage your motion reprojection? One of the advantages is that you don't need to have the same setting for all apps.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Have you considered using SteamVR to manage your motion reprojection? One of the advantages is that you don't need to have the same setting for all apps.

Does that stay set after an update? I've dabbled in it a little bit, but with every update (or so it seems) they rearrange the user interface and you have to go through a whole new routine to get to those settings. The contents of the config file may get changed when an update happens, but at least it can always be found in the same location. If the settings in the user interface get retained, it would be worth trying.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Does that stay set after an update? I've dabbled in it a little bit, but with every update (or so it seems) they rearrange the user interface and you have to go through a whole new routine to get to those settings. The contents of the config file may get changed when an update happens, but at least it can always be found in the same location. If the settings in the user interface get retained, it would be worth trying.

The default.vrsettings file does sometimes change, but certainly not with every WMR for Steam update. Certainly needs checking though. To use SteamVR for mp, you need to comment out the relevant line in defaultsetting file.

This may (or may not!) be helpful https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4251157&postcount=5176

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The default.vrsettings file does sometimes change, but certainly not with every WMR for Steam update. Certainly needs checking though. To use SteamVR for mp, you need to comment out the relevant line in defaultsetting file.

This may (or may not!) be helpful https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4251157&postcount=5176

I'll just keep doing this by checking/editing the config file if the setting isn't retained after changing it in the SteamVR user interface. Much simpler solution, because I always know where the config file is. :D

So I went to the HP site to try and preorder despite telling myself I won't. Did any of you purchase the warranty?

An HP employee on Reddit here is saying they separated the warranty to 1 year and 2 years to make it easier to understand and that before, the 1 year warranty was built into the price.

I'm curious if this means it comes with no standard warranty but that can't be can it?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Reading the announced V2 description, calling this new headset "Gen 2" seems a stretch. Video enhancement confined to better lenses and audio phones. No change in resolution or FOV, the main features than need improvement. Unless the new lenses are truly revolutionary, doubt I will upgrade from current Reverb.

Reading the announced V2 description, calling this new headset "Gen 2" seems a stretch. Video enhancement confined to better lenses and audio phones. No change in resolution or FOV, the main features than need improvement. Unless the new lenses are truly revolutionary, doubt I will upgrade from current Reverb.

...add to that the long pre-order availability issue!

That is kind of the way I have been looking at it.

Will not be pre-ordering, will take a wait and see how folks like it when received.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So I went to the HP site to try and preorder despite telling myself I won't. Did any of you purchase the warranty?

An HP employee on Reddit here is saying they separated the warranty to 1 year and 2 years to make it easier to understand and that before, the 1 year warranty was built into the price.

I'm curious if this means it comes with no standard warranty but that can't be can it?

If you click on the specifications tab on the pre-order page, it shows that the standard warranty is 1 year parts and labor.

If you click on the specifications tab on the pre-order page, it shows that the standard warranty is 1 year parts and labor.
Hmm ok that connection site is weird. Now I see what you mean. Im considering preordering but trying to talk myself out of it. If I knew when the 3080ti would release I would want that first.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Resolution is a main feature for improvement? Excuse me if I disagree. Resolution on the Reverb is great, and any more would cause serious GPU issues.

Confined to better lenses and audio? My list so far is:

- Better clarity

- Better visual quality with increased brightness, contrast, etc.

- hugely improved off-ear audio (as per Index)

- Mechanical IPD

- No mura

- lighter and longer cable (Yes!)

- 4 cameras

- hugely improved controllers, etc. etc.

Apart from an improved FOV, what else were you expecting?

Edited by imacken

Resolution is a main feature for improvement? Excuse me if I disagree. Resolution on the Reverb is great, and any more would cause serious GPU issues.

- Better clarity

- Mechanical IPD

- No mura

- 4 cameras

- hugley improved controllers, etc. etc.

Martini, what else? Sorry for the joke :) I agree with you, and all this at the same price.

Higher resolution would require more powerful gpu's which we don't have (yet). I'm actually interested in reviews though as much as I want to be one of the first few to get it.

Now that the cable is attached to the headset, there shouldn't be any more black screen issues. I was also reading that they designed the G2 to have more space for folks that wear glasses.

I was about to order the prescription lens inserts for my reverb but I guess now I may as well wait until I get this model to order the inserts. I do want to know more about the new lenses and how they differ. Soon we should probably have more preview/reviews.

I agree with you. G2 is great in spec but in my opinion is for people who don't already have VR or have 1st Gen VR like Vive or Oculus CV1. I wouldn't recommend someone who already has Reverb G1 to spend $600 for G2.

Personally, I would still get Index over Reverb G2. Reverb is great from DCS point of view but there are other sims and games out there. While I do love flight sims, my original passion is racing sims. And I will gladly trade off higher resolution for faster refresh rate, wider field of view, and better tracking.

Edited by Taz1004

I agree with you. G2 is great in spec but in my opinion is for people who don't already have VR or have 1st Gen VR like Vive or Oculus CV1. I wouldn't recommend someone who already has Reverb G1 to spend $600 for G2.

Personally, I would still get Index over Reverb G2. Reverb is great from DCS point of view but there are other sims and games out there. While I do love flight sims, my original passion is racing sims. And I will gladly trade off higher resolution for faster refresh rate, wider field of view, and better tracking.

I agree. If Index had inside/out tracking like Oculus I would probably already have one.

Don B

Higher resolution would require more powerful gpu's which we don't have (yet). I'm actually interested in reviews though as much as I want to be one of the first few to get it.

Now that the cable is attached to the headset, there shouldn't be any more black screen issues. I was also reading that they designed the G2 to have more space for folks that wear glasses.

I was about to order the prescription lens inserts for my reverb but I guess now I may as well wait until I get this model to order the inserts. I do want to know more about the new lenses and how they differ. Soon we should probably have more preview/reviews.

I don't know about you but my glasses cost more that a reverb... so i will likely still get the prescription lenses for the v2 when it becomes available; thats assuming that the current ones don't just fit, they look to be the same shape?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I don't know about you but my glasses cost more that a reverb... so i will likely still get the prescription lenses for the v2 when it becomes available; thats assuming that the current ones don't just fit, they look to be the same shape?
Seeing as they are new lenses I wonder if the shape changed slightly. If you already have the inserts, it would be nice if they just fit.

My company has pretty good eye care coverage so I get a new pair of glasses every year and I only pay about $60. Mainly because the rest of the budget goes towards my contact lenses. Right now I don't have the inserts so I will wear my contacts when I want to use the headset.

I decided to preorder the G2. I am currently using a Rift S and would like better resolution.

Are there any Reverb owners who have used a Rift S, how does it compare? I'm currently running a 1080ti but will probably upgrade to the newer Nvidia when it comes out .

- Better clarity

- Mechanical IPD

- No mura

- 4 cameras

- hugely improved controllers, etc. etc.

I'm gonna agree here.

In terms of actual rendering, anything more than 2kx2k is nonsense. Its killing current 2080ti's it will be hard for the next gen 3080ti to do. Pixel res is FINE.

However as other manufacturers have shown (starVR/others) OPTICS MATTER. mechanical IPD matters, MURA matters, etc etc.

Frankly some of the improvements wont matter for DCS, I have minimal tracking issues, and don't use the hand controllers (GET POINT CONTROL NOW). But better clarity with the optics +1. Better color +2, better brightness/clarity +1. Better cable +3 (I'm on my second headset, and 3rd cable).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I hear ya. I have a gen 1 reverb. But OTOH this is basically what the original reverb should have been all along IMO. And as various other manufacturers have shown time and time again, optics matter. ALOT.

IDK if it will be "worth it", maybe not. Or in 3-4 months some other headset will be king. Maybe even Pimax...

But right now Reverb is #1 for DCS IMO in the areas that matter, and this fixes most of the problems with the gen1 reverb.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In terms of actual rendering, anything more than 2kx2k is nonsense. Its killing current 2080ti's it will be hard for the next gen 3080ti to do. Pixel res is FINE.

I dont think the reverb is killing the best hardware. Its a hard load in DCS, but it is manageble and I can work with the settings to have very good flow when gaming.

Foir other games, I mostly have all settings on max and 90fps all the time.

Waiting for the Pimax 8KX, having hopes.....

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe