[INVESTIGATING]DDI, UFC, HUD, Cockpit lighting brightness

KLaFaille

No...

Just tried the: INSTANT ACTION -> F/A-18 -> Nevada -> Ready at the ramp

Left DDI is unreadable. The green background of the CRT is too pronounced in my opinion.

The right DDI has some glare due to sun but looks more true to life.

I've flown for years on aircraft with CRTs in the cockpit (granted, not with a bubble canopy) but never had the screens being completely unreadable due to the sun...

Regards,

Sylvain

Corsair 600T - Intel i7 2600k - Asus Geforce GTX1660 Super - 4 x 4Gb Corsair DDR3 Ram - Asus P8P67 revB3 - Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog #11615

2019 Acer Predator Helios 300

The MFD's are still broken in the sun. That's TGP on the right one, good luck finding anything.

Also note how the text on the right TGP (but not the cross) goes darker than sun reflection. That's not how real life works.

7TaU0zx.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Ever since they F@#$ed with the Opacity of the Nav lights couple months ago it's been porked. Remember when the EPU light on the F18 was super bright? And just last week the nav lights on aircraft in the air made them look like UFO's? Obviously there is someone who doesn't know how to rectify one issue without creating another...

Hi pilots and ED team. I don't know if it could help you but i just try to install this mod (with proper zip correction for textures file) and the problem is solved (for MFD). It seams to come from cockpit texture files. If it can help ED to fix it and all players to fly while... hope so!

file: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/096/FA-18C_LCD_MDIs.zip

Edited by thechaps16

Win10-64 / MAG Z-790 Tomahawk Wifi / Intel i7-13700 KF / MSI MAG Coreliquid 360R V2 / MSI RTX-4080 SuprimX / Kingston SK Hynix 64Go DDR5-6400-C32 / 1*Nvme Crucial CT2000P3 2.0Tb / 5*SSD Samsung 860QVO 1Tb / 3*Samsung S27E330 Monitors / HP-Reverb G2 / Track-Ir 5 / Thrustmaster: Warthog Throttle + Warthog Stick + F/A-18 Stick + T.Flight Rudders / Home Cinema LG HT503TH / Home-Cockpit F/A-18C (currently only right console, others being build) / Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ as a Flypad and Sim control

No...

Just tried the: INSTANT ACTION -> F/A-18 -> Nevada -> Ready at the ramp

Left DDI is unreadable. The green background of the CRT is too pronounced in my opinion.

The right DDI has some glare due to sun but looks more true to life.

I've flown for years on aircraft with CRTs in the cockpit (granted, not with a bubble canopy) but never had the screens being completely unreadable due to the sun...

Regards,

Sylvain

Same here. You use the same scenario I do to test new upgrades. INSTANT ACTION->F/A-18->Nevada-> Ready at the ramp.

Left DDI is read bad, trying to read. Right DDI the same as you describe.

This all happened when updating OB from 2.5.6.49798 to OB 2.5.6.50979. I wish others would report the version/patch revision number when posting like this, not "just did an update... and..." or just the date of the update.

Hope it gets fixed as the F/A-18 is my only fighter I use for now. Now no daytime missions.

Here is my sitting on the ramp screenshot left is after update, right prior to update.

---

Screen_200629_143011-crop.thumb.jpg.4722dd939f9ae4c21a457a3c2639a8b7.jpg

Screen_200322_212059_Ramp-Nellis-Main-Panel.thumb.png.a0d892752fa1bac61d76765e0d203653.png

Edited by Noluck

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

Hi pilots and ED team. I don't know if it could help you but i just try to install this mod (with proper zip correction for textures file) and the problem is solved (for MFD). It seams to come from cockpit texture files. If it can help ED to fix it and all players to fly while... hope so!

file: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/096/FA-18C_LCD_MDIs.zip

appreciate the link but its a pain replacing a texture parameter when you cant then pass the multiplayer integrity check :( This is stated in the read-me.

appreciate the link but its a pain replacing a texture parameter when you cant then pass the multiplayer integrity check :( This is stated in the read-me.

Absolutely true. The frustrating thing about this "feature" is that I can't imagine any reason modifications to the lighting parameters couldn't be passed thru the IC. I really like DCS, as evidenced from the fact that I started buying this product when it first started, and have virtually every combat mod, but sometimes there really is some amateurish coding going on. Just looking at the way lighting is assigned for the MFDs shows that this resource should have been rewritten a decade ago. It's just a case of old code not keeping up with new tech.

Is there a way to make the HMD less bright for night time? The default dimmer just doesn't go low enough

Not that I can think of. You can reduce the max alpha in the materials.lua file, but then it'll be less visible during daytime as well.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Same here. You use the same scenario I do to test new upgrades. INSTANT ACTION->F/A-18->Nevada-> Ready at the ramp.

Left DDI is read bad, trying to read. Right DDI the same as you describe.

This all happened when updating OB from 2.5.6.49798 to OB 2.5.6.50979. I wish others would report the version/patch revision number when posting like this, not "just did an update... and..." or just the date of the update.

Hope it gets fixed as the F/A-18 is my only fighter I use for now. Now no daytime missions.

Here is my sitting on the ramp screenshot left is after update, right prior to update.

---

Yeah I agree, this really has significant impact on gameplay (in a bad way) and needs to be fixed ASAP.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

They've released a bug correction list today. Not a single mention about this issue. I am afraid to have waited one month to continue with the same annoying bug. It is really keeping me out of flying some times. Some times I just get tired of squinting my eye, getting closer to the monitor or whatever just to see what is on the screen.

202 G. "Irish" Machado - AO

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STRIKE FIGHTER SQUADRON 83

http://www.vfa-83.com

To 'fix' this for now, I rolled back to 2.5.6.49798 STABLE from OB 2.5.6.50979 and the DDI's and HUD are back to normal. I'll wait until the next update. No ground radar now but no big deal. Yes, I hope they fix it, it's a definite bug.

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

I keep trying to shield the on-screen DDI from the daylight with my hand over the monitor. Not very effective and the kids think Ive gone soft in the head :)

LOL I keep moving my head using trackIR like its going to make a difference! I feel your pain :)

Please fix this in the next patch. Really makes the screens useless in most scenarios. In a way i feel like IRL i can see how glare like this can be a problem but since this is a game and we have no way to shield the glare/light from the DDI's this really needs to be addressed whether people see it as a bug or glare feature...

Wouldn't it be great if we had virtual hands and head in DCS, then we could shield the sun as IRL!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team
Still the same.

Patch is planned for the 15th, until we have a patch there wont be any changes.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Patch is planned for the 15th, until we have a patch there wont be any changes.

thanks

Does that mean there's some work on this planned to be included this week?

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Great news. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall the scratches, fingerprints, reflections can and some do look great but I always will turn them off given a choice.Yes IRL the sun will bleach out your displays and at night internal light will project but reproducing these visuals in sim seem to always cause more problems than enhancing the sim. Make them all optional across all modules.