Mighty P_47 vs lone JU-88

gdotts

So pissed at a certain self created one plane mission lone JU-88 rear gunner (on average setting) kicking my P-47’s butt when I zoom down from 2000 feet above and behind... thinking I am all that! Maybe… I am zooming down from too far back and gives that little @#%** time to find me before I settle down to shoot close up. All know is as I close in to shoot the light show is on my canopy I can’t see anything but his hits and the next thing I know I’m going down….DAMN!!!!!!! Over and over and over. Guess I need to join the Coast Guard! Any advise on shooting what should be easy foe?

One of my favorite scenarios, but yeah, those guys are shooting guided rounds and will rip you to shreds.

Whether from on high, or coming in even on tail, you need to be hauling, and I "porpoise" a bit inbound, but make your pass quick and unload for as long as can, no "saving ammo".

However, I have noticed with the last couple of updates, you can dish out a whole lot of hurt on them, and they don't really take too much of a performance hit.

Best way to deal with them? Fire up your A-10C, switch to A-A mode, switch to gun funnel. You still have to be careful as they will fill your engines full of lead and bring you down; however, the mighty GAU on a good burst will remove a wing, and other sections.

That is about the only way to bring a JU down quick!

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Wait till we get the Mossie. JU-88 are favorite Mosquito food and quad hispanos + quad 303 in the nose is as close as you can get to a WWII’s brrrrrrrrt.

(OK the laser turrets may still get me but I’ll be damned if I do not evaporate that 88 before going down).

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Wait till we get the Mossie. JU-88 are favorite Mosquito food and quad hispanos + quad 303 in the nose is as close as you can get to a WWII’s brrrrrrrrt.

(OK the laser turrets may still get me but I’ll be damned if I do not evaporate that 88 before going down).

Sigh, I have been so happy and content with the P-47.

Then you just painted this scenario in my mind of the Mossie - so when do we get it?? :D:D:D:lol:

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I can only surmise all you guys struggling with this are doing it wrong, considering I attacked the Tu-95s in the Bf-109 free flight and shot down two, damaged a third, and took only one or two hits from their 23mm tail guns, flew back to base and landed.

The AI in DCS is not ''guided'' they aren't ''aim bots'', if anything they're the worst aiming AI I've seen in years: they aim directly at you. Period. That's it, no thought to prediction, leading or anything. You can fly over a Shilka until it runs out of ammo as long as you barrel roll the whole the time, it's ridiculous.

In order for the DCS AI to hit you AT ALL requires you to fly in a straight line, and relatively close to them. Yes, you have to line out at least momentarily to aim, but you should only be on them for 1-2 seconds before breaking away...

Also, how can a Ju-88 (among the most poorly armed bombers of the war) with a single or dual .30 outlast you when you've got 8x .50s? Are you doing body shots? Shoot at something important like the cockpit or engines. A bomber is a large cavernous, empty shell, firing into the fuselage may be cathartic, but you're not going to hit any critical systems in their cargo hold.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I found the same thing. Any attack from the rear is suicide unless you attack from a long distance and break away quick. I have been practicing attacking the JU88's but have to do it with their weapons at 0 otherwise I just see constant flashes from being hit then my hud goes dead and worse. I Know I am working on my accuracy but I can never take down a bomber in one pass, the plane is too unstable with my setup. Getting better getting hits but I couldn't imagine going up against one shooting back LOL. I watched them in slow motion a few times and they are deadly accurate, the top gunner and especially the bottom. At close range they do not miss. Still will keep practicing and ramp up the realism eventually.

Problem solved!

Problem fixed guns in mission editor set to 0% and no shots fired at me and I downed the JU-88...KILLED that rear gunner!! Now I will adjust up from 0% to get a little fight back, I don't want a pitty kill. Thanks for the help!!!

ju-88 gunners are basically 1940 Phalanx CIWS :lol:

CIWS was never quite that accurate; I'd rather be buck nekkid & armed with a flint knife facing a Terminator than flying an F-35 and dealing with the AI gunners on an early Blenheim in any WWII flight sim.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Ya no wonder the Germans came up with crazy solutions like huge rocket grenade to launch into formations. Bomber gunners fix or tweak is one of my top 5 things i wish would get adjusted asap

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

It just amazes me that ED can put this massive effort in to creating such great planes like the P47 and also the AI JU88 in great detail only to totally ruin the WW2 part of the game by simply making it so hard to fly against these assets because of the Ai rountines, the gunners in them and how they are programmed, then really just forget about it for ages and seem never to fix it.

But we still buy the new stuff every time they put it out.

Edited by Hotdognz

For now you can do the following on home-made scenarios: reduce the gun ammo on the JU-88s to 5% or 3% in the scenario editor. Then make dummy runs at them until they unwisely hose off all of their bullets in one very long barrel-melting burst. After that they have no guns, and only avoidance maneuvers (which they're pretty good at) to save themselves. The JU-88 was a formidable, fast aircraft for its' time.

Edited by fencible

CIWS was never quite that accurate; I'd rather be buck nekkid & armed with a flint knife facing a Terminator than flying an F-35 and dealing with the AI gunners on an early Blenheim in any WWII flight sim.

cheers

horseback

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha ha . . . agreed!

Maybe there will be some inspiration for you, in the video at this link:-

Taught by the great John S 'Jimmy' Thach.

I think I have that video from a Disney Classics DVD and tried it on a flight of Betties in the original Il 2 '46; the AI gunners ate me alive for the first 50-60 repetitions of each approach until I got my approaches right, and continued to nail me from unconscionably long ranges in the rear approaches, especially when I was flying the F4F-4.

The fact still remains that when the ai routine allows the 'gunner' to have absolutely accurate instantaneous range and vector data for his own and the attacking aircraft, he can (and will) hit you any time at almost any distance when you don't have time to vary your position angle between the time he fires and the time the bullets reach you; it's a simple geometry problem that your own traitorous computer uses against you in far, far less time than a real human doing the math in his head without the precise range/vector data while muscling a machine gun into position could ever be capable of.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Being a knucklehead, I figured I'd give the JU88 attack a whirl as well... Sure as heck, he roasted me with that rear sniper.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Glad it's not just me then.... I thought it was because I was crap at dogfighting and gunnery.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I seem to have come up with a reliable method then.

Pull up out of gun range along the side of the Ju at the same altitude.

From a parallel course, bank in slightly so that the target begins to slide forward in the canopy. Judge this so you will strafe across his tail at a fairly significant tracking rate.

He'll come through your cross hairs and all you need to do is manage the elevation and ensure you are trigger down before he arives.

He'll end up with a raking 1 second burst and your lateral tracking rate is too much for the AI.

Often that full burst will be enough, they just often take their time to bail out.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *