Patch Nov 18th - F-14A release - Feedback Thread

IronMike

Will the Sparrow and Phoenix missile issues be hot-patched? Having 2 of our 3 AA weapons bugged makes the Cat basically unusable. Unless I'm doing something wrong, and both missiles are fine?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Will the Sparrow and Phoenix missile issues be hot-patched? Having 2 of our 3 AA weapons bugged makes the Cat basically unusable. Unless I'm doing something wrong, and both missiles are fine?

Check bug reports. AIM-54 is kinda bugged, and the sparrow is pretty bugged in PDSTT.

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Let's see...you want "feedback"....

Well, I'd give you some, but everything I've noticed has already been posted, so instead I'll just say that I'm very enamored with the animation of the TF30's afterburner engaging. The F110 may be a better engine, but there's just something mesmerizing about watching those old motors breathing fire.

• Like 1

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

So instead of good feedback we get skins wishlist, favourite bugs whine, missing features complaints... Please, Karen, read the thread title, patch notes and stickies.

In F-14A Case I IA the bird's fuel is around 6k. Feels like heavy B or underpowered so that it's hard to keep it flying while dirty, meaning its on-speed is close to the throttle edge of MIL.

In external, when looking at the pipes and moving throttle there is some volume drop between MIL and AB.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I really wish that at over a year in, they could explain why this of all things seems to be the hardest thing ever to do in DCS ever.

It's not. but it is still a significant amount of work that simply cuts into the schedule of all other work lined up already. It will have its turn though. It, btw, bugs us, too, that it just takes so long to get to some things that have been a thorn in our eyes just as much... :-)

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

So instead of good feedback we get skins wishlist, favourite bugs whine, missing features complaints... Please, Karen, read the thread title, patch notes and stickies.

In F-14A Case I IA the bird's fuel is around 6k. Feels like heavy B or underpowered so that it's hard to keep it flying while dirty, meaning its on-speed is close to the throttle edge of MIL.

In external, when looking at the pipes and moving throttle there is some volume drop between MIL and AB.

I've set the fuel to 6k so players have time to dick around if they like, unless you mean the one where you are lined up for the break directly, the non SC version? If that is the case I need to lower it, yes. For the SC version one can use fuel dump.

Can you provide a little video of the sound issue pls?

Thanks!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

I've set the fuel to 6k so players have time to dick around if they like, unless you mean the one where you are lined up for the break directly, the non SC version? If that is the case I need to lower it, yes. For the SC version one can use fuel dump.

Can you provide a little video of the sound issue pls?

Yes, it was the one already lined up for overhead a few miles out non-SC version (it was a quick choice, without much thinking, although I use SC normally).

I'll see if I can get a video later. It's really small drop - like a 0,5s slight muffling before higher volume sound's about to kick in.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Can I make a small suggestion to you Heatblur about those afterburner effects? Just make this official and change some parameters in F-14B.lua file and you get much more realistic looking flames, only the color needs bit more tuning. I don't understand why you haven't changed it already since it really doesn't require anything else and the results are far more realistic. Works with both A and B model but currently obviously brokes MP since it's not official.

Just change the diameter = 0.01, to diameter = 1.01, in engine nozzle section.

This is unaltered shot with just changing those parameters. Left engine is the default, right one has been changed to 1.01 and increased the length from 0.01 to 5.01

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tImage2.png Views:\t0 Size:\t1.19 MB ID:\t7144708","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7144708","data-size":"thumb"}[/ATTACH]wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

So I guess this is impossible to do... :ermm:

Are you running mods? This sounds as if one of the VSN mods is installed, or similar.

I have to admit my superficiality. It would have been enough to read the release notes to understand the problem I had. Anyway, I removed the F-35 mod and everything went perfectly. Thanks for your kind attention.

Longer AB is good but the looks are bad imho, not more realistic as you say.

• Like 1

Is this correct?

Yesterday at 20000ft with 2 XT, 4Phoenixs, 2Sparrows and Sidewinders I was unable to reach Mach 1. Just wanted to give the missiles some added speed....

I have similair experience, not correct and its been worked on by HB. There are no issues like that in F-14B so Im sure they will get it right in F-14A too.

Personally I prefer the left one more. Obviously afterburners can look markedly different based on a whole number of factors, but I think when comparing against the first 2 photos in the spoiler below, the left one is basically spot on.

4a49cc3449a531e502ead2c4a17f030f.thumb.jpg.f11e9ad262d16a9a75c9e2ca983de4b6.jpg

an-us-navy-usn-f-14d-tomcat-aircraft-assigned-to-fighter-squadron-four-one-1d29e2-1600.thumb.jpg.dfd19084ed5abf902d0fb04dcc6cdba4.jpg

Whereas the one on the right looks more like this, but is orange instead of this white-ish/turquoise colour:

a-fighter-squadron-2-vf-2-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-its-engines-on-maximum-afterburner-2b6900-1600.thumb.jpg.dfa99afdeb4426f31329afc19f9cbed1.jpg

Of course, all 3 were shot in different lighting conditions, exposure settings and with different cameras.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Personally I prefer the left one more. Obviously afterburners can look markedly different based on a whole number of factors, but I think when comparing against the first 2 photos in the spoiler below, the left one is basically spot on.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t4a49cc3449a531e502ead2c4a17f030f.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t99.5 KB ID:\t7146424","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7146424","data-size":"full","title":"4a49cc3449a531e502ead2c4a17f030f.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tan-us-navy-usn-f-14d-tomcat-aircraft-assigned-to-fighter-squadron-four-one-1d29e2-1600.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t592.1 KB ID:\t7146425","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7146425","data-size":"custom","height":"820","title":"an-us-navy-usn-f-14d-tomcat-aircraft-assigned-to-fighter-squadron-four-one-1d29e2-1600.jpg","width":"1027"}[/ATTACH]

Whereas the one on the right looks more like this, but is orange instead of this white-ish/turquoise colour:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ta-fighter-squadron-2-vf-2-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-its-engines-on-maximum-afterburner-2b6900-1600.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t2.14 MB ID:\t7146426","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7146426","data-size":"custom","height":"801","title":"a-fighter-squadron-2-vf-2-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-its-engines-on-maximum-afterburner-2b6900-1600.jpg","width":"1027"}[/ATTACH]

Of course, all 3 were shot in different lighting conditions, exposure settings and with different cameras.

Wise words. Lightning plays a big role in this and DCS engine can't quite handle it properly right now. Still, I would like it to be more like between those two, the current and the modded one.

One small, pretty minor nitpick: wouldn't it be better to give the HB F-14A a unique name in the unit listing? Especially so that when the early A comes, mission editors will be able to better spot the difference.

For instance instead of F-14A -> F-14A (Late) or F-14A-135GR (Late)

More so for non-module owners making missions for it.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

One small, pretty minor nitpick: wouldn't it be better to give the HB F-14A a unique name in the unit listing? Especially so that when the early A comes, mission editors will be able to better spot the difference.

For instance instead of F-14A -> F-14A (Late) or F-14A-135GR (Late)

More so for non-module owners making missions for it.

This will happen once we put in the other modules most likely.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

I have to admit my superficiality. It would have been enough to read the release notes to understand the problem I had. Anyway, I removed the F-35 mod and everything went perfectly. Thanks for your kind attention.

No worries, that's what we're here for. :-)

Heatblur Simulations

Was playing Refected's Final Countdown mission and admiring the early Jolly Rogers livery and noticed the wingman maintaining same speed had his nozzles wide open while mine were almost closed (about 350 knots at 22k or so), with no burners lit.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

This will happen once we put in the other modules most likely.

That's fair enough, it is minor, all good! :thumbup:

System:

Is this correct?

Yesterday at 20000ft with 2 XT, 4Phoenixs, 2Sparrows and Sidewinders I was unable to reach Mach 1. Just wanted to give the missiles some added speed....

Regarding that configuration, I have no idea if it's working as IRL or not.

But (presently in DCS) in a completely clean F-14A with low internal fuel it's easy to achieve 2.3 + Mach at 35.000 ft altitude.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t4a49cc3449a531e502ead2c4a17f030f.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t99.5 KB ID:\t7146424","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7146424","data-size":"full","title":"4a49cc3449a531e502ead2c4a17f030f.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tan-us-navy-usn-f-14d-tomcat-aircraft-assigned-to-fighter-squadron-four-one-1d29e2-1600.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t592.1 KB ID:\t7146425","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7146425","data-size":"custom","height":"820","title":"an-us-navy-usn-f-14d-tomcat-aircraft-assigned-to-fighter-squadron-four-one-1d29e2-1600.jpg","width":"1027"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ta-fighter-squadron-2-vf-2-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-its-engines-on-maximum-afterburner-2b6900-1600.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t2.14 MB ID:\t7146426","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7146426","data-size":"custom","height":"801","title":"a-fighter-squadron-2-vf-2-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-its-engines-on-maximum-afterburner-2b6900-1600.jpg","width":"1027"}[/ATTACH]

I remember the tuquoise shot of a similar one from Bio's book. Isn't that related to colder ambient temperature or something like that?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I remember the tuquoise shot of a similar one from Bio's book. Isn't that related to colder ambient temperature or something like that?

I honestly have no idea.

If I were to take a guess, (and following Wein's displacement law - okay it's not a blackbody radiator) it makes more sense for a hotter emitter to emit radiation at a higher peak frequency, in this case shifting it blue. But as I said, I've got no idea.

System:

I would like to mention power and fuel flow. One of the first things I noticed with the F-14A is that I need to re-learn my baseline fuel flow settings and that they change opposite to what I expected. My baseline starting-point FF for the overhead break with the F-14B is 4000 lb/h for 350 kts with the wings swept aft. But in the F-14A a fuel flow of 4000 lb/h yields 550 kts in the overhead at the same weight. I have also the impression that the F-14A cruises extremely well with fuel flows down to 1500 lb/h and in the groove you are almost down to idle, especially with DLC disengaged.

Is the is characteristic of the TF30 that is to be expected or is there something off?

Interesting observation. My impression in the groove was that I was dropping super fast compared to F-14B and had the throttle higher than I ordinarily would...

Specs & Wishlist: