What HOTAS are you using?

Good suggestion. Sold my Warthog when I got of DCS for a couple years back, but and now flying again and  ecently picked up a T.1600 system. Not a fan of the stick at all. Was looking at the VKB Gunfighter and completely discounted the NXT. Think a sale has been made 🙂

• Like 1

VKB Gladiator NXT premium w/ Logitech X-56 Throttle

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

22 hours ago, Mower said:

Anybody got a lead on a Warthog?

Add Dell.com to your watch list. I've seen full sets and/or just throttle there recently.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 12/12/2020 at 10:04 PM, Mower said:

My poor old Cougar is on the fritz and I have to start looking for a replacement HOTAS.  What are you guys using and do you have any leads on a good deal?  Cheers.

Hey, I use one of those too! The factory-built TM Cougar is an absolute pile of crap. The stick gimbal is total crap, the buttons are cheap crap, the electronics are crap. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, the stick gimbal is pure unadulterated crap. Did I mention that the stick gimbal is crap?

That's a lot of crappy junk for $600 if you bought it new. I bought mine used for about 200 bucks, acutely aware of the fact that it was mostly a pile of junk, and ripped out the stock electronics and replaced them with Leo Bodnar's excellent USB interface board. The stock gimbal is still crap, but I replaced the cheap potentiometers with Hall effect sensors, and re-worked the gimbal and pivots bearings to eliminate as much of the slop as possible. It was an awful lot of work to put into a pile of junk, but it's now, actually, a pretty decent flight stick & throttle. The total cost of all mods was about $60 including the Leo Bodnar control circuit--plus a hell of a lot of work.

$260 for a decent HOTAS isn't bad. The all-original TM Cougar is atrocious, and I spent more time overhauling it than any sane person should. But, it's decent now, and the cash cost was half-decent.

Terrible, TERRIBLE product, though, and Thrustmaster charged an outrageous price for this pile of garbage with its low-quality components and atrociously shitty design and workmanship--it was ready for the garbage pile when it left the factory. Terrible, low-quality product that even 1980s China would have been ashamed of.

It only becomes decently usable after a lot of work. If you don't have a lathe and a milling machine, you're sh!t outta luck--don't waste your time on the Cougar.

But... That's what I use 🙂

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

6 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

Leo Bodnar's excellent USB interface board.

Which board exactly from his website please.

Does emulation mode work with this board?

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

15 hours ago, Mower said:

Which board exactly from his website please.

Does emulation mode work with this board?

I'm using the BU0836A 12-Bit controller.  8 analog axes, 32 buttons.  I'm pretty sure that's the maximum number of each type of input you can have on one USB port with DirectX, so if you want more than that, you need to use two of these boards.

They have *really* high analog input resolution, great if you want to fly helicopters, but great for everything else too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "emulation mode". The BU0836A just plugs into a USB port, and Windows detects it right away--no driver or anything.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Looks like most sites have had their stocks updated so you should be able to order a WartHog now as they are in stock from what I have just seen..

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

On 12/13/2020 at 12:04 AM, Mower said:

What are you guys using and do you have any leads on a good deal?  Cheers.

I still use my Cougar .. I have several spare parts, so I expect to be able to use it for a few more years:

Dd4yHd2.jpg

I love its programming software, it's so much better than DCS Control Setup:

7nrn8h8.jpg

Pity that it's no longer in production.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 2/4/2021 at 5:20 PM, rapid said:

Looks like most sites have had their stocks updated so you should be able to order a WartHog now as they are in stock from what I have just seen..

I see no evidence of this anywhere, bro.

https://www.amazon.ca/Thrustmaster-2960720-Hotas-Warthog-Joystick/dp/B00371R8P4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=KGRX65G9Z440&dchild=1&keywords=thrustmaster+warthog+hotas&qid=1612833240&sprefix=thrustmaster+wart%2Caps%2C277&sr=8-2

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I use TM Warthog throttle. TM A-10 AND F-18 sticks on a warbird base. This gives me much better fine control. Finally using MFG Crosswind pedals. Love this setup

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

11 hours ago, Mower said:

Sorry, over in the UK they seemed to had stock when I checked.

Rapid

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

If you really want a hog, check on a daily basis for refurbished ones, they are cheaper and just as good as new ones.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, Mower said:

Anybody got a lead on a Warthog?

BHPhotoVideo just had a few in stock at $549.  You can add yourself to be notified when they are back in stock.  

Edited by BigHairyGobbler
Formatting

My guarantee: if my first two bombs don't destroy you, the next one's free

F-16C | FC3 | Persian Gulf

20 minutes ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

BHPhotoVideo just had a few in stock at $549.  You can add yourself to be notified when they are back in stock.  

I was on the email list since early December 2020...no luck for me.  Even spoke with the company and they indicated they did not believe any were coming in.  When were they last stocked?

28 minutes ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

I was just checking but really waiting for VKB throttle release or may just go Virpil.

Sad part is that VKB will be delivering the linear movement throttle as last one. 

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5054

OK, versions? Prices?
1 - ARC STANDARD. Grips like in the picture, but with considerably more controls on the base, with "classic" mechanical detents. However, as electronic detents are now entering the market, we feel unfair to ask anything more than 200 bucks for such construction. Hence, RRP = 200 USD.
- WHY ARC???? We were waiting for RAILS!!! THAT'S WHAT YOU PROMISED!!!
- ARC is what is used in real aviation. We held extensive consultations with active pilots and engineers working for real aviation corporations. Even conservative Russian aircraft makers such as MIG and Sukhoi turned to arc throttles. However, if we promised, we deliver. Read to the end.

2 - ARC PREMIUM. Electronic detents and a couple of outstandingly sweet extras. RRP US$ 350-400.
3 - RAIL. Only offered as PREMIUM. All the same as ARC PREMIUM, except linear move. This version will be released the last due to extra complex detent solution for such layout. RRP US$ 400-450.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

19 hours ago, BigHairyGobbler said:

I was just checking but really waiting for VKB throttle release or may just go Virpil.

I will say the Virpil CM3 throttle is exceptional. Very happy with mine.

I had an issue with the mini stick sticking in one direction. I could have made do with it easily enough but wanted it right, so sent it back to Virpil for repair and had it back in two weeks in perfect order.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, dburne said:

I will say the Virpil CM3 throttle is exceptional. Very happy with mine.

I had an issue with the mini stick sticking in one direction. I could have made do with it easily enough but wanted it right, so sent it back to Virpil for repair and had it back in two weeks in perfect order.

That's what I hear but I feel it best to wait until July (rumored date of VKB TECS throttle) before dropping $1,000 - $1,300 on a stick, a base and a throttle then maybe rudders and a desk, desk mounts, etc.  

My guarantee: if my first two bombs don't destroy you, the next one's free

F-16C | FC3 | Persian Gulf