My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

Hey speed, I've got some thoughts about your benchmarking, but I can't send you a PM as it looks like you've disabled private messaging on these forums. Are you able to message me so that I may send you my thoughts? I worked as a PC benchmarker for almost 20 years, so have a bit of experience that I think could help with your incredible guide. No worries if you'd rather not though.

• Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hey Speed, are you doing anything with the new SteamVr setting " Override World Scale " . 

Thanks !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

its already there ...  under Steam VR 1.17.8 New Settings 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

its already there ...  under Steam VR 1.17.8 New Settings 

Yeah I saw the Feild of View setting info. as I have mine set the same way, but I guess you just have the Override World Scale disabled and not using it. Going back to triple check. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I did test them both and share the results i leave them both off

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

On 5/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, GunSlingerAUS said:

And that's exactly why I stopped using VR in DCS. I spent more time flying the options screen than in the cockpit. Every six months I buy the latest and greatest PC hardware to see if I can get good VR performance in DCS (currently running a Silicon Lottery 11900K @ 5.2GHz, along with an RTX 3090 overclocked by 10%, and a Reverb G2), and it's still not good enough for *me*. I also try it out every few months if there's a major update to WMR, or DCS, to see if the software has solved the issue. But until I can get 60fps minimum with graphics quality settings that I like, I won't use VR. However, as we've seen different people have different preferences. Many are already happy with VR, and can't go back to 2D. Personally, I find my TrackIR + 55" LG C9 a much better experience, but I do look forward to the day when the DCS VR experience is perfect. I think it's within five years. 

2D and VR in DCS... It's like comparing playing a video game on a screen, and almost like being inside the real warplane (without the massive G-force). so yeah not going back to 2D... But I get your frustration with VR as it's not perfect yet, but it's totally worth the pain for a lot of us, and no matter the size of your screen or any quality headtracker, nothing else can achieve the immersion that VR provides. Even the piece of art  that "The Warthog project" is, it's a joke in comparison. For the record I got a G9 and trackiR aswell. Let's just hope a proper Vulkan integration can achieve your standards and we'll all be happy puppies 😉

• Like 3

i7-9700K / 64Gb / 3080 FE / OS on 500GB M2 / Games on 1000GB M2 / LG C1 48" / Reverb G2 / Warthog Hotas & Monstertech / TrackiR 5 Clip / Tobii 5 / ButtKicker & JetPad / Os: Win11 Pro Dev / SimShaker / VoiceA. / VIaCom Pro / Srs

Well, no flame, but I have the same opinion as @GunSlingerAUS. I have 3080 and bought G2 two month ago. Since then I spent countless hours (actually weeks) to find optimum settings for VR in DCS. I finally gave up a returned back to 2D & TrackIR and I am quite happy to tell the truth. For me the difference between 2D and 3D is not so big as it seems at first (the WOW effect disappears after few days and what remains are mainly many drawbacks). The difference of image quality between 2D and 3D is huge for me. From time to time I still play offline misson in VR but much more often I use 2D. I plan to buy Alder Lake CPU and DDR5 RAM at the and of this year but I do not think it brings any substantial change to get me switch to VR entirely. Do not get me wrong, I am a great fan of VR and I think it has a big potential but unfortunately we are not there yet (at least for some of us).

Edited by tapi
  • Like 3

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

@tapi and others, everyone is entitled to their own opinion; and with VR for their own tolerance of what they are willing to accept, is an additional factor, the latter is entirely subjective which makes it functionally impossible to  baseline, for an individual.

It's not unimportant, its just difficult for anyone person to measure objectively. And so it falls into the NMCNM camp for me. My point here is not to "dis" your opinion rather to embrace it and move on... technology will always improve... In honesty this is not the thread for that debate... If you want a debate about opinions on your preferences to use VR or not I suggest you have it in your own thread and gather opinions there. I'm sure it will be lively.

@GunSlingerAUS I had you muted and turned off.  I'm always pleased to get ideas... I have turned you back on.  I kind of work in a related field but happy for people to provide ideas...

That said... this is really about providing "good enough" information rather than absolutely perfect test conditions... I can think of dozens of ways of improving the tests that I do, complicating them and loading them with different factors etc...however the test matrix they produce is hideous and frankly more than I can run in a morning while I'm eating my cornflakes.

The problem I saw that forced me down this route was there was literally no methodology and it was all subjective... I wanted to bring a little science to the process.  It needs to be minimal workload , because I actually kind of enjoy playing the game more than I do tuning it.  I do this so others can get some actual ideas on impact and not have to do it for themselves and also for myself so I can get the best experience for me in a structured way, with minimal effort.

HTH

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@speed-of-heat Sorry for OT. I really appreciate this thread, it is a big help for everyone trying to cope with VR settings!

• Like 1

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

Looking forward to multi-core and Vulkan!! I wonder how that's going ...?

Edited by C3PO

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, C3PO said:

Looking forward to multi-core and Vulkan!! I wonder how that's going ...?

again a worthy topic for it's own thread. 

• Like 2

• speed-of-heat changed the title to My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.1)

Once again thanks for this superb thread …. so useful. I have been flip-flopping between various settings starting with 80% in steam - then 90, then 100, and now settled on 80% - with motion smoothing - as per this thread’s suggestions. Seems v clear to my eyes and performance excellent. I raised AF to x16 and that has been a big visual improvement but kept MSAA to x2. After dozens of missions now over Syria, it still feels breathtaking heading out of Beirut, over the hills and along the Bekaa Valley. The ascent north east out of Incirlik is equally gorgeous. Tend to stick to MP servers to they can take the load of objects. Great job everyone!

Edited by C3PO
  • Like 2

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

OP updated with some new cloud testing. The tests were conducted by editing the normal track i use, and adding in the cloud type, and then rerunning the tests, after establishing a new version baseline 

I run the clouds in latest patch at Ultra - and the jitter fix is great. The performance for me is fine, the issue is the quality and they are nowhere near where they are in 2D (where they are amazing at Ultra setting).

Sorry if it's been asked, I skimmed over 16 pages of stuff and didn't see it explicitly asked. @speed-of-heatAs you know, SSAA and MSAA are two different AA techs, and whilst they can be combined, my understanding is, generally speaking, they don't really play well together and you should generally stick to one or the other, with SSAA being nicer but more taxing. My understanding is that SteamSS is effectively a SSAA type technology, so my question is, what is your opinion and decision regarding the use of SteamSS + MSAA vs boosting SteamSS higher and leaving MSAA off.

5 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

@C3POare you running MSAA?

X2

5 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Sorry if it's been asked, I skimmed over 16 pages of stuff and didn't see it explicitly asked. @speed-of-heatAs you know, SSAA and MSAA are two different AA techs, and whilst they can be combined, my understanding is, generally speaking, they don't really play well together and you should generally stick to one or the other, with SSAA being nicer but more taxing. My understanding is that SteamSS is effectively a SSAA type technology, so my question is, what is your opinion and decision regarding the use of SteamSS + MSAA vs boosting SteamSS higher and leaving MSAA off.

they achieve different things, when i use MSAA it reduces the jaggies and the shimmer, when increase the resolution per eye or Custom Resolution Modifier, i can reduce the jaggies but it doesnt seem to effect the shimmer, you will not there is only perception used, i have no data to support it as a position.  I have never seen any particular visual improvement from Steams Adavanced SuperSample Filtering.

I agree with your findings, we have all been battling the shimmers, most notably buildings and white needles in the cockpit, and I've noticed MSAA seems to do a better job than SteamSS at minimizing it, so I've also gone for a 70% SS to make room for MSAA. There are a lot of AA options available via nvidiaInspector, I just wish I had the time to test them all IRT specifically shimmering. I'll try a few this weekend and report back.

@BIGNEWY Any idea if VRSS is being looked into and getting supported?

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-vrss-a-zero-effort-way-to-improve-your-vr-image-quality/

Perhaps we should vote for a wishlist item that would be a separate benchmark .exe that would run a preset mission for 30 seconds and report back CPU/GPU average/max FPS etc... Then we can all compare apples to apples, even in our own tests.

Edited by Vanguard
  • Like 1

• ED Team

At the moment the team need to focus on getting vulkan and multicore support finished, but I have been feeding back to the team about user requests. 

thanks

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

TBH I just downgraded my driver to 442.92 and used nVidia Inspector to force VRSS on, and maybe I did something wrong but... it was the worst shimmering I've ever seen. Perhaps look before you leap when it comes to requests.

That said, while messing about, I re-tried 457.30, and like many have reported, feels so much smoother, right from cliff house and SteamVR mountains all the way to the cockpit. Placebo? Dunno, but I'll stick with it for awhile. I also went SteamVR beta and Steam for WMR non-beta and it feels more solid / hasn't crashed on me yet. If anyone else hasn't tried it and noticed anything, lemme know.

Edit: And perhaps off-topic but... are the tree shadows popping in and out of existence the most immersion breaking and distracting thing in the world, or is it just me. Just turned terrain shadows off and whilst it's less realistic, feels far more enjoyable and likely provides a few frames too.

Edited by Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...

Well with 2.7.2. and the Hind, my performance has been all over the place. I have not tried ALT + ENTER, but will do so next time i fire up the sim. Also need to think about dropping cloud quality from Ultra and enabling MSAA x2 because the shimmer is just killing me without MSAA. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

31 minutes ago, corb said:

Hello guys!

Any tips on what to set the NVIDIA 3D Settings to? Or just leave everything at default?

Just got my Asus 3090 OC a couple of days ago. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

my recommended settings are in post 1, it includes nvidia

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Well with 2.7.2. and the Hind, my performance has been all over the place. I have not tried ALT + ENTER, but will do so next time i fire up the sim. Also need to think about dropping cloud quality from Ultra and enabling MSAA x2 because the shimmer is just killing me with. 

i'm in a vert similar place right now cloud quality standard (if you are not in ultra you want all the perf you can get) and msaa x2

• Like 1