My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

21 minutes ago, Vitallini said:

I use 3dmigimoto, but the only thing I I’ve activated (knowingly) is the shader fix that helps a lot with massive fps drops when bombs and explosions go off. 

by default its all off, so you need to switch things on. This fix really works in that circumstance

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

with the vrperftoolkit one of the things that is cool about it is support for Fovated rendering in GTX16x and RTX series graphics cards, but it doesnt seem to work in DCS, however, Cedric Menard has created a fork for which fixes the issue, I was testing it last night and got some good frame time improvements, 5-10% over vrperfkit.

it can be found here:

Release Fixed Foveated Rendering for DCS (workaround) · cedriclmenard/vrperfkit (github.com)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

10 minutes ago, tomeye said:

crashes with my 3060

thanks for letting us know, i would normally suggest letting the author know 

no answer for that, i have no direct contact with the author , but it seems to work well on my 3090.

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

with the vrperftoolkit one of the things that is cool about it is support for Fovated rendering in GTX16x and RTX series graphics cards, but it doesnt seem to work in DCS, however, Cedric Menard has created a fork for which fixes the issue, I was testing it last night and got some good frame time improvements, 5-10% over vrperfkit.

it can be found here:

Release Fixed Foveated Rendering for DCS (workaround) · cedriclmenard/vrperfkit (github.com)

I got it to work this time around. (checked by enabling debug). 

Did you only swap out the dll and use the vrperfkit.yml as you already had it configured with vrperfkit? I switched off Reshade and with the fresh .yml the performance is fantastic, but it looks horrid if I use the sharpness settings in that yml.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

it can be found here:

Just ran a quick and dirty test using my existing Reshade 5 settings (VR_CAS etc) and the same vrperfkit.yml settings from the "non foveated" build but of course with fixedFoveated:enable. I too see an increase in performance around .5 to 1.0ms decrease in GPU  Frametime. There is some "fuzziness" in the outer area of the FOV but this is basically how this works. Either way it's not noticeable (to me at least) and I'll take the perf increase.

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

my current yml

Upscaling: render the game at a lower resolution (thus saving performance),
# then upscale the image to the target resolution to regain some of the lost
# visual fidelity.
upscaling:
  # enable (true) or disable (false) upscaling
  enabled: true
  # method to use for upscaling. Available options (all of them work on all GPUs):
  # - fsr (AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution)
  # - nis (NVIDIA Image Scaling)
  # - cas (AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening)
  method: nis
  # control how much the render resolution is lowered. The renderScale factor is
  # applied to both width and height. So if renderScale is set to 0.5 and you
  # have a resolution of 2000x2000 configured in SteamVR, the resulting render
  # resolution is 1000x1000.
  # NOTE: this is different from how render scale works in SteamVR! A SteamVR
  # render scale of 0.5 would be equivalent to renderScale 0.707 in this mod!
  renderScale: 0.8
  # configure how much the image is sharpened during upscaling.
  # This parameter works differently for each of the upscaling methods, so you
  # will have to tweak it after you have chosen your preferred upscaling method.
  sharpness: 0.2
  # Performance optimization: only apply the (more expensive) upscaling method
  # to an inner area of the rendered image and use cheaper bilinear sampling on
  # the rest of the image. The radius parameter determines how large the area
  # with the more expensive upscaling is. Upscaling happens within a circle
  # centered at the projection centre of the eyes. You can use debugMode (below)
  # to visualize the size of the circle.
  # Note: to disable this optimization entirely, choose an arbitrary high value
  # (e.g. 100) for the radius.
  radius: 0.7
  # when enables, applies a MIP bias to texture sampling in the game. This will
  # make the game treat texture lookups as if it were rendering at the higher
  # target resolution, which can improve image quality a little bit. However,
  # it can also cause render artifacts in rare circumstances. So if you experience
  # issues, you may want to turn this off.
  applyMipBias: true

# Fixed foveated rendering: continue rendering the center of the image at full
# resolution, but drop the resolution when going to the edges of the image.
# There are four rings whose radii you can configure below. The inner ring/circle
# is the area that's rendered at full resolution and reaches from the center to innerRadius.
# The second ring reaches from innerRadius to midRadius and is rendered at half resolution.
# The third ring reaches from midRadius to outerRadius and is rendered at 1/4th resolution.
# The final fourth ring reaches from outerRadius to the edges of the image and is rendered
# at 1/16th resolution.
# Fixed foveated rendering is achieved with Variable Rate Shading. This technique is only
# available on NVIDIA RTX and GTX 16xx cards.
fixedFoveated:
  # enable (true) or disable (false) fixed foveated rendering
  # configure the end of the inner circle, which is the area that will be rendered at full resolution
  innerRadius: 0.6
  # configure the end of the second ring, which will be rendered at half resolution
  midRadius: 0.7
  # configure the end of the third ring, which will be rendered at 1/4th resolution
  outerRadius: 1.0
  # the remainder of the image will be rendered at 1/16th resolution

# Enabling debugMode will visualize the radius to which upscaling is applied (see above).
# It will also output additional log messages and regularly report how much GPU frame time
# the post-processing costs.
debugMode: false

# Hotkeys allow you to modify certain settings of the mod on the fly, which is useful
# for direct comparsions inside the headset. Note that any changes you make via hotkeys
# are not currently persisted in the config file and will reset to the values in the
# config file when you next launch the game.
hotkeys:
  # enable or disable hotkeys; if they cause conflicts with ingame hotkeys, you can either
  # configure them to different keys or just turn them off
  enabled: false
  # toggles debugMode
  toggleDebugMode: ["ctrl", "f1"]
  # cycle through the available upscaling methods
  cycleUpscalingMethod: ["ctrl", "f2"]
  # increase the upscaling circle's radius (see above) by 0.05
  increaseUpscalingRadius: ["ctrl", "f3"]
  # decrease the upscaling circle's radius (see above) by 0.05
  decreaseUpscalingRadius: ["ctrl", "f4"]
  # increase the upscaling sharpness (see above) by 0.05
  increaseUpscalingSharpness: ["ctrl", "f5"]
  # decrease the upscaling sharpness (see above) by 0.05
  decreaseUpscalingSharpness: ["ctrl", "f6"]
  # toggle the application of MIP bias (see above)
  toggleUpscalingApplyMipBias: ["ctrl", "f7"]
  # take a screen grab of the final (post-processed, upscaled) image.
  # The screen grab is stored as a dds file next to the DLL.
  captureOutput: ["ctrl", "f8"]
  # toggle fixed foveated rendering
  toggleFixedFoveated: ["alt", "f1"]

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

correct though i could use 3dmigoto to sharpen as well 

Gotcha, thanks 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

my current yml

Upscaling: render the game at a lower resolution (thus saving performance),
# then upscale the image to the target resolution to regain some of the lost
# visual fidelity.
upscaling:
  # enable (true) or disable (false) upscaling
  # method to use for upscaling. Available options (all of them work on all GPUs):
  # - fsr (AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution)
  # - nis (NVIDIA Image Scaling)
  # - cas (AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening)
  method: nis
  # control how much the render resolution is lowered. The renderScale factor is
  # applied to both width and height. So if renderScale is set to 0.5 and you
  # have a resolution of 2000x2000 configured in SteamVR, the resulting render
  # resolution is 1000x1000.
  # NOTE: this is different from how render scale works in SteamVR! A SteamVR
  # render scale of 0.5 would be equivalent to renderScale 0.707 in this mod!
  renderScale: 0.8
  # configure how much the image is sharpened during upscaling.
  # This parameter works differently for each of the upscaling methods, so you
  # will have to tweak it after you have chosen your preferred upscaling method.
  sharpness: 0.2
  # Performance optimization: only apply the (more expensive) upscaling method
  # to an inner area of the rendered image and use cheaper bilinear sampling on
  # the rest of the image. The radius parameter determines how large the area
  # with the more expensive upscaling is. Upscaling happens within a circle
  # centered at the projection centre of the eyes. You can use debugMode (below)
  # to visualize the size of the circle.
  # Note: to disable this optimization entirely, choose an arbitrary high value
  # (e.g. 100) for the radius.
  radius: 0.7
  # when enables, applies a MIP bias to texture sampling in the game. This will
  # make the game treat texture lookups as if it were rendering at the higher
  # target resolution, which can improve image quality a little bit. However,
  # it can also cause render artifacts in rare circumstances. So if you experience
  # issues, you may want to turn this off.
  applyMipBias: true

# Fixed foveated rendering: continue rendering the center of the image at full
# resolution, but drop the resolution when going to the edges of the image.
# There are four rings whose radii you can configure below. The inner ring/circle
# is the area that's rendered at full resolution and reaches from the center to innerRadius.
# The second ring reaches from innerRadius to midRadius and is rendered at half resolution.
# The third ring reaches from midRadius to outerRadius and is rendered at 1/4th resolution.
# The final fourth ring reaches from outerRadius to the edges of the image and is rendered
# at 1/16th resolution.
# Fixed foveated rendering is achieved with Variable Rate Shading. This technique is only
# available on NVIDIA RTX and GTX 16xx cards.
fixedFoveated:
  # configure the end of the inner circle, which is the area that will be rendered at full resolution
  # configure the end of the second ring, which will be rendered at half resolution
  midRadius: 0.7
  # configure the end of the third ring, which will be rendered at 1/4th resolution

# Enabling debugMode will visualize the radius to which upscaling is applied (see above).
# It will also output additional log messages and regularly report how much GPU frame time
# the post-processing costs.
debugMode: false

# Hotkeys allow you to modify certain settings of the mod on the fly, which is useful
# for direct comparsions inside the headset. Note that any changes you make via hotkeys
# are not currently persisted in the config file and will reset to the values in the
# config file when you next launch the game.
hotkeys:
  # enable or disable hotkeys; if they cause conflicts with ingame hotkeys, you can either
  # configure them to different keys or just turn them off
  enabled: false
  # toggles debugMode
  toggleDebugMode: ["ctrl", "f1"]
  # cycle through the available upscaling methods
  cycleUpscalingMethod: ["ctrl", "f2"]
  # increase the upscaling circle's radius (see above) by 0.05
  increaseUpscalingRadius: ["ctrl", "f3"]
  # decrease the upscaling circle's radius (see above) by 0.05
  decreaseUpscalingRadius: ["ctrl", "f4"]
  # increase the upscaling sharpness (see above) by 0.05
  increaseUpscalingSharpness: ["ctrl", "f5"]
  # decrease the upscaling sharpness (see above) by 0.05
  decreaseUpscalingSharpness: ["ctrl", "f6"]
  # toggle the application of MIP bias (see above)
  toggleUpscalingApplyMipBias: ["ctrl", "f7"]
  # take a screen grab of the final (post-processed, upscaled) image.
  # The screen grab is stored as a dds file next to the DLL.
  captureOutput: ["ctrl", "f8"]
  # toggle fixed foveated rendering
  toggleFixedFoveated: ["alt", "f1"]

Thanks man! Definite performance improvement with Foveated rendering enabled in this version

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Foveated is giving some nice extra performance kick, but definately not for straight-to-Youtube videos. The visual quality gets really bad in the corners of the screen.

See example, especially the bottom left corner of the screen when it is moving over the instrument panel (am using a small offset). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hS6ga_WtM&ab_channel=DCSWorld%3AA-10FlightTraining

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Having played some more between "work" I have noticed that in certain lighting conditions the interference pattern that seems to be generated as a result of the render quality ring radius settings is quite off-putting. I also have an after market face gasket for my G2 which may be making the issue worse as my eyes are slightly closer to the lenses. I have cranked up the values for inner middle and outer and it's better but I'm not sure if I can live with the "jiggle" in my peripheral vision. Perhaps I'll tune it out automatically after some time, will see how it goes.

These are my increased settings, but the effect is still noticeable. Any higher and I may as well just not use the feature tbh. But i get that's how the process works.

fixedFoveated:
  midRadius: 0.8

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ready said:

Foveated is giving some nice extra performance kick, but definately not for straight-to-Youtube videos. The visual quality gets really bad in the corners of the screen.

See example, especially the bottom left corner of the screen when it is moving over the instrument panel (am using a small offset). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hS6ga_WtM&ab_channel=DCSWorld%3AA-10FlightTraining

yep no argument... its a compromise on the 2d

24 minutes ago, zildac said:

Having played some more between "work" I have noticed that in certain lighting conditions the interference pattern that seems to be generated as a result of the render quality ring radius settings is quite off-putting. I also have an after market face gasket for my G2 which may be making the issue worse as my eyes are slightly closer to the lenses. I have cranked up the values for inner middle and outer and it's better but I'm not sure if I can live with the "jiggle" in my peripheral vision. Perhaps I'll tune it out automatically after some time, will see how it goes.

These are my increased settings, but the effect is still noticeable. Any higher and I may as well just not use the feature tbh. But i get that's how the process works.

fixedFoveated:
  midRadius: 0.8

yep its a compromise, i have the VR Cover which brings my eyes closer , and i dont notice unless i'm watch the 2d , that said, if i had a wider FOV with clarity it would get old pretty fast, but the G2's Fresnel lenses and narrowish FOV  mean i'm always moving my head anyway...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomeye said:

I cannot see him in the forums and there is no issues on his github fork, any ideas how to inform him?

Maybe try him on Reddit?

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

yep no argument... its a compromise on the 2d

yep its a compromise, i have the VR Cover which brings my eyes closer , and i dont notice unless i'm watch the 2d , that said, if i had a wider FOV with clarity it would get old pretty fast, but the G2's Fresnel lenses and narrowish FOV  mean i'm always moving my head anyway...

Yes and because of the small sweet spot it really is quite tiring to watch these recordings in 2d, because the camera goes all over the place all the time, following the eyes. Well for me it's the VR experience that is most important anyways, so every little bit of extra performance we can get is very welcome.

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

3 hours ago, Ready said:

Yes and because of the small sweet spot it really is quite tiring to watch these recordings in 2d, because the camera goes all over the place all the time, following the eyes. Well for me it's the VR experience that is most important anyways, so every little bit of extra performance we can get is very welcome.

..so why not save the flight as a track file then replay it in 2D with vrperfkit off and record that for your Youtube ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Playing around some more; cas 0.9 with sharpness to 0 looks pretty solid some frametime impact though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaunX said:

..so why not save the flight as a track file then replay it in 2D with vrperfkit off and record that for your Youtube ?

I did that once and will not do it again for long flights. It takes me so much extra time. The track replay I still have to move the camera around in 2d, and then I start tinkering with external camera's etc. Then I put it into Resolve and the upload. An hour video of a simple training becomes 4 hours of work. So easier is just to upload the raw recording to Youtube. (Sorry SOH for going a bit off topic here in your thread)

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 2/3/2022 at 8:19 AM, speed-of-heat said:

it can be found here:

This dropped 1-1.5ms off my frametimes and the lower resolution it's practically invisible in the G2.

23 hours ago, tomeye said:

in my case with both fixedFoveated and upscaling enabled, it crashes.

I was having lot's of crashes with both upscaling and fixed foveated as well, it would load into the menu fine but would then crash when loading a mission.  I loaded a different mission and it loaded to cockpit fine but crashed a couple of minutes later, out of sheer bloody mindedness I went back to the original mission, it did load up and was stable until I accidentally flew into a couple of sams 😄

Nothing I did different, it just seemed to cure itself...

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.