Might grab the UH-1 next sale. Question.

Sr.

Would it be possible to fly/control the Huey with an X-56 throttle and a VKB NXT premium flight stick and no rudder pedals?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

IMO, no.  Really needs a decent rudder pedal.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Technically, you could fly it with only mouse and keyboard if you really wanted. Wouldn't be easy, but you could.
Rudder pedals will help you immensely in helo flying. Not required, but definitely recommended
On top of that, rudder pedals will also improve your flying with other modules

• Like 1

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

I'm just starting out w/the Huey and it's not an easy thing to fly, at least for me.  I have rudder pedals and they do help.  It can be frustrating even with pedals and I personally would likely give up if I didn't have them.

However, I noticed this guy does not have pedals and uses the ministick on his throttle for anti-torque control: 

From what I saw in his vids, his flying is very smooth and consistent.  It's all down to user aptitude and patience.  Pretty much like everything else in life 😄

• Like 1

I fly the huey with no rudder pedals and with no proper rudder axis since the Z axis on my t.16000M stick and the pedal on my TWCS throttle are broken. I actually use the wheel on the throttle for rudder. I use the DCS control indicator to help me recenter my controls.

I can tell you that flying the huey is still very much a blast. Mainly because I got used to it but I feel as if my capacity to fly the huey isn't altered at all in my current setup.

Yes, I believe from personal experience that you don't need rudder pedals at all to enjoy this helo or any helos in DCS currently. 

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 2

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

Would the twist stick rudder be of any use?

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

I've been flying the Huey on and off for four years; the first one just with my sidewinder force feedback 2, the second with the addition of a virpil throttle (it helps as it gives you a lot more precision), and I only got MFG pedals a year ago. The addition of pedals has been a game changer for ww2 warbirds but not as much for flying helicopters (for me coordinated turns were more difficult to achieve with a twist stick). So, yes, you're going to have harder time flying without pedals, your wrist may ache holding a rudder position with the twist stick, and you're not going to be as precise. But you're going to have a lot of fun flying it with just a twist stick.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sr. said:

You can use it, but you'd want to use force trim option so you don't have to hold the twist in the joystick when travelling in a straight line for some time.

Alternatively you could use another rotating axis that you can turn and leave in one spot. (Such as a rotary knob on a throttle, or a analog leaver, etc). 

Each person is different. If I didn't have rudders I would see myself using an axis slider/rotary before using the twist on a joystick for anti-torque, but others (and maybe yourself) may well prefer to use the twist in the joystick. 

But either way - there are a few different options than using pedals. 

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

You can use it, but you'd want to use force trim option so you don't have to hold the twist in the joystick when travelling in a straight line for some time.

Alternatively you could use another rotating axis that you can turn and leave in one spot. (Such as a rotary knob on a throttle, or a analog leaver, etc). 

Each person is different. If I didn't have rudders I would see myself using an axis slider/rotary before using the twist on a joystick for anti-torque, but others (and maybe yourself) may well prefer to use the twist in the joystick. 

But either way - there are a few different options than using pedals. 

Cool. Got plenty of those on the X-56 throttle 

--Arthur C Clark

I fly it with just a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick(and yes in sim mode). It is more than adequate to fly it with just that, but you can certainly use more peripherals to enhance your control/immersion.

Edited by PiratexCore

Purchased: FC3 | CA | M2000C | F-5E | C-101 | Mig-21bis | AV-8B NA | L-39 | F-14 | UH-1H | Mi-24P | F-16C | F/A-18C | F1 | MB-339 | F-4E

Maps: Caucasus | Persian Gulf | Syria | Marianas

Comp Specs: i7 13700k, 32gb 3200mhz DDR4, RTX 2070 Super 8gb, 2tb P5 Plus NVME

Peripherals: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle

UH-1H acquired 

Picked up while I was on my lunch break. Manage my first take off and "landing"  🙂

Pedals arrive tomorrow.

• Like 3

--Arthur C Clark

UH-1H acquired 

Picked up while I was on my lunch break. Manage my first take off and "landing"  🙂

Pedals arrive tomorrow.

Curious: Does my brother have to have module to fly with me as door gunner?

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

I saw this thread was updated and thought you were planning on giving the Huey a go during the free-to-play period.  Instead you just went for it.  🙂

I don't think you'll regret it.  I suck terribly at it and have spent most of my time with the Hornet but something about the Huey is so cool.  Maybe it's the fact that the systems are simple but the operation of it is pretty complex and requires more artistry than anything.

LOL

Oops

Oops.PNG

3 hours ago, Smashy said:

I saw this thread was updated and thought you were planning on giving the Huey a go during the free-to-play period.  Instead you just went for it.  🙂

I don't think you'll regret it.  I suck terribly at it and have spent most of my time with the Hornet but something about the Huey is so cool.  Maybe it's the fact that the systems are simple but the operation of it is pretty complex and requires more artistry than anything.

I'm trying to figure out this "trim" info I saw in a vid. So far, not really the effect portrayed in  the video.

I wonder if ED has changed something since?

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

Curious: Does my brother have to have module to fly with me as door gunner?

Yes. There is a free-to-play period for the next 9 days so during that time he won't have to purchase it, but after that - the way things are at present and for the foreseeable future the whole module is required to be owned in order to sit in one of the gunner seats.

Helicopters are VERY hard to fly with no rudder peddles. When you transfer from forward motion to ground effect to land the pedals make all the difference with fine control and not losing control. I just purchased the MFG Crosswind Pedal and I can FINALLY control Helicopters when before with no rudder I would always crash. So honestly, I feel the rudder pedals GREATLY improve the realistic control and the immersion and will lower the frustration levels.

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*

• 1 month later...

I have mobility issues and have difficulty with precision movements of my feet and legs.

I use the TM T-Flight HOTAS. It has a lockdown screw to eliminate the twist grip and instead I use the rocker lever on the back of the throttle

for my rudder with a 20 to 25 degrees curve . It works real well for helos and planes. A god send for people like me with F'd up legs.

Much, much better than a twist grip. I used to have a Logitech 3D Pro and could never master it.

yk8Nl3I.jpg

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU