A-10C GBU-38 MIss

MelonatorPL

Hello since the latest update I have been some trouble using the GBU38 and gps bombs in general. When I drop the bomb within the MAN REL release cue it misses by a few hundred feet. The bomb doest guide properly and sometimes overflies the target and then attempts to turn around. Are there any fixes for this and is anyone else experiencing this problem?

This has been happening for a long time. GBU-54 does the same.

The best you can do is release them at about the half point of the release window, if it still falls long them release them a bit earlier, but if you release it too early the bomb will fall short.

Its really annoying getting a good JDAM hit is like rolling a dice, and ED is not fixing it.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Is this still an issue or has ED responded with "Working as Intended"?

I have been using the GBU-38's lately practicing mark point multiple drop runs.  I know from my previous testing that a 500 lbm bomb has to hit with in a radius less than about 25 feet for a T-55 to go boom.  My aim could be be off some.  But today I went 2 for 8.  I went 0 for 3 in one pass.  Yesterday and the day before better but not much better.  Luckily, today I aimed with the TGP much more carefully. 

The bombs are hitting on the porch but they are not ringing the door bell.

Seems to me GBU-38's are basically useless against tanks.  It does not make sense to carry GBU-31's for the same purpose.  Is this accurate to the real world?

Caldera

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Nealius,

Do you use the laser for more accurate range?

Foka,

Yeah thanks, but they seem miss by enough that tanks will survive.

Caldera

I've considered it, but given the laser's hard-coded limit of 8nm I don't find it particularly practical. At 8nm I'm able to position the cursor well enough to not need the laser.

Hey,

I have attached a short mission track of my weapons test range.  The varied targets are space at 25 feet near the center and 50 feet farther out.  The bombs I am testing are GBU-38's.

The first pass I layed down mark points on each of the 6 tanks.  The second pass I tried to release 6 bombs, but maybe only got 4 off the rails.  I forget to check DSMS after this run.  But you can see me stepping through the targets one at a time, trying to release one JDAM on each tank.

Notice the dispersion of the craters for the initial bomb strikes in the TGP.  There are two that missed completely. 

This is what I got:

image.gif

null

The numbers in the vehicle names are distance from center.  So TNK-75 is the third one out or 75 feet from center.

Caldera

MSN1-02 GBU-38.trk

Edited by Caldera

OK So more testing...

Each drop is from the the exact same profile.  The mission starts with the aircraft at 10000ft.  I turn on the the autopilot and select a GBU-38, then I wait to drop.  The range window is from 4.1 to 1.0 miles.  I made one run at various ranges.  Only one range drop actually shacked the target that at 1.1 range.  The rest were just good misses.  Often missing by about 25ft.  If all the bombs were hitting in the same spot then the same vehicles would be killed each time.

Target

TGP TGT 01.gif

Range 1.1  SHACK!

GBU-38 11.gif

Range 1.8

GBU-38 18.gif

Range 2.5  Very near miss!

Range 3.3

GBU-38 33.gif

Range 4.0  What the Heck!

GBU-38 40.gif

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

The bug report topic (https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/252217-reporteda-10c-ii-jdamljdam-range-staple-and-cep-issues-dcs-25657264/) I put in was marked as "reported" and locked several months ago. I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not it was fixed: Some people say it's fixed, some people say it's fixed if you drop below an altitude of 20,000ft, and others say that it's simply not fixed. Now that I'm no longer working at home and don't have to clear desk space to play DCS, I'll have to hop on and run my test mission again (the test mission uses an invincible T-90 as the target, which has a steerpoint set at its centerpoint at the ground elevation).

edit: Just noticed that this is for the original A-10C module, and not the A-10C II, but the issue should be the same between them. Another thing to test, I suppose.

edit: Forgot to save the track, but the verdict is the same: GBU-38/54/31 all let you drop from too far away. When within the actual DLZ, though, they seem much more consistent than before.

Edited by SJBMX

If you still haven't solved the JDAM bomb problem, try typing 1000 in the DSMS profile for these bombs in the ALT option,wait for the moment when Man Rel appears on the HUD, at that moment hold the button to release the bomb,I hope I'm helpful...

Edited by Dragan

Dragan,

Thanks for the advice.  I will try that out.

For my part I have come to the conclusion not to drop them near the upper end of their range. These days I try to drop them 2/3 to the center as my first pickle.  I have way fewer misses when I do that.  Dropping from the upper end they still miss even with the laser on.  I believe that they just fall short.  The CCRP calculation must be off.

Caldera

They also can't be activated until they go green on the DSMS screen on the carriers with marked attack bombs, I just had a problem and gave up the mission because they didn't update, or I made a mistake, it's just important to make SPI towards the target of the attack, and that will be enough, I don't even make target markers, I just make SPI,go straight to the target, and try to keep the best possible direction and straight, do not go below the set height due to CCRP INVALID.  Good luck...

Edited by Dragan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Hey Guys,

I tested this today after installing 2.7.1.6430 and the hit rate is 100%.  I used laser slant and optical slant range drops same results.

Caldera

I'm still missing fired from Hornet.  Haven't tried from A10C yet.

Last time I was using GBU-12s I ripple fired 2 at the same time and both hit perfectly. My only beef with them at the time was that I could ONLY launch 2 or more at a time, but they all hit. OF course that was 3-4 days ago and a new patch dropped. Ill give it a shot today.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Hammer,

I have not had issues with the GBU-12's, it is the GBU-38's that had/have issues missing.

Taz,

I will test this some more.  I did 8 for 8 on tank kills and called it good.  Before I was killing them about 50% of the time due to close misses that were out of the blast radius kill zone.

A squadron mission a few days ago, 2 ship flight, 0 for 4 on oil drilling rigs using GBU-31 -> 3B??? (penetrator).  Both those that I dropped missed left or right with the correct ranging.

Caldera

Ok, Ill test this here shortly myself.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins