Cold War MANPADS

Northstar98

• 2 months later...

SA-7 is so prolific it can't be ignored. It's was pretty much present in every conflict during the Cold War and is still present today.

With all the Cold War and helicopter modules coming, we need a "SAM with a low pk". The SA-7. A modern SA-18 is more or less a sniper unit in DCS, head on. Instant kill
I want to be able to create missions that are exciting. Seeing a sneaky MANPAD come whizzeling by without bringing down me or my buddies every single time. It will fit a large range of missions, from Cold War to Modern Day insurgents.  An interim solution might be for ED to reuse current 3D assets and just input the SA-7 data. Make it bad, make it fun.

• Like 11

On 7/12/2023 at 5:38 AM, Xeno426 said:

Are there any mods adding them in? I know the High Digit SAM mod has the Strela-3, but it doesn't look like that mod has had any further activity for over a year.

Realistically we need a low digit sam mod. There were like 3-4 major variants of the SA-2 for example. 

• Like 5

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

4 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Realistically we need a low digit sam mod. There were like 3-4 major variants of the SA-2 for example. 

Yeah, that would be nice, luckily there should be many to do and hopefully it would be at least slightly easier to do other low-digit SAMs (the only one missing outright is the SA-4 and SA-1 (though that was only used around Moscow if I'm not mistaken). Past that, what else is there? A few versions of the SA-2? Maybe the SA-6?

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Yeah, that would be nice, luckily there should be many to do and hopefully it would be at least slightly easier to do other low-digit SAMs (the only one missing outright is the SA-4 and SA-1 (though that was only used around Moscow if I'm not mistaken). Past that, what else is there? A few versions of the SA-2? Maybe the SA-6?

SA-3 had a few versions. SA-4 wasn't exported AFAIK, IDK if there are docs. But yes jesus we need an SA-7 and an actually accurately modeled SA-9. 

• Like 3

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 minute ago, Harlikwin said:

SA-3 had a few versions.

It does and some of them would be pretty good fits for our maps. Though, at least for the Cold War there's only the base S-125 and S-125M1 (us having the S-125M already).

Though there it would be good if it got its guidance profile (command guidance with either lead or 3-point, as opposed to SARH, same for the SA-2).

3 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

SA-4 wasn't exported AFAIK

Wiki seems to think it was exported to Warsaw Pact members (and successor states to the Soviet Union) and a couple of others.

Even so, we're getting 2 maps which had the USSR on them, so not totally out there.

4 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

IDK if there are docs.

Only thing I've come across so far is this, which, yeah probably not what developers have in mind. Unfortunately my usual points of call (ausairpower and Vestnik PVO) don't seem to have much at all, if anything on it.

• Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:30 PM, Xeno426 said:

I put together a slapdash mod putting in the FIM-43 and Strela-2M using the Stinger and Igla models, respectively. Seem to work fine, but I don't know enough about the internals of the game to know if they are accurate.

Do they only track rear aspect and have like 0 CM resistance?

• 1 month later...

this thread should be bumped every few month.

ok, i'll do it: *bump*

Now with the new AI aircrafts being released, it's maybe a good time to revisit this low hanging fruit: Lots of return in game value for relatively low development effort!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, twistking said:

this thread should be bumped every few month.

ok, i'll do it: *bump*

Now with the new AI aircrafts being released, it's maybe a good time to revisit this low hanging fruit: Lots of return in game value for relatively low development effort!

Yup, exactly.

Gimme my SA-7, 14 and redeye

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2023 at 9:50 PM, Harlikwin said:

Do they only track rear aspect and have like 0 CM resistance?

Pretty much. Head-on shots almost never hit, and usually goes for flares. It'll get the occasional hit in, but testing with Hinds had them spoofing a good dozen missiles before they take one.

I've considered using the code that the GWS-22 uses to make a Blowpipe MANPAD, since it has a very erratic flight path and the GWS-22 likes to miss enough on its own. I'm sure it can be used to make a MANPAD that almost never hits *anything*.

As an aside, the SA-14 is part of the High Digit SAMs mods. Unfortunately, that mod needs editing to work with the most recent patches. Notably, the SON-9 and KS-19 need to be disabled, and the 5V55R model needs to be renamed (and the unit lua that references that shape needs to be edited to reflect the changed name).

Probably a good example of why mods and models should have some identifier in their name to make them unique. Kinda like HeatBlur added "HB" at the start or end of their missile names to ensure they don't conflict with anything.

Edited by Xeno426

2 minutes ago, Xeno426 said:

Pretty much. Head-on shots almost never hit, and usually goes for flares. It'll get the occasional hit in, but testing with Hinds had them spoofing a good dozen missiles before they take one.

Cool, be nice if ED would get around to doing the same so we have some early missiles for MP. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, twistking said:

Hooray!

Coming 2024 and BEYOND

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hooray!

Though personally I will be believing it when I see it. Still, definitely better than nothing!

• Like 1

System:

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

Hooray!

Though personally I will be believing it when I see it. Still, definitely better than nothing!

We'll initially only get the manpads themselves and then we'll have to be very patient until ED eventually adds the crew.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 5:20 PM, Xeno426 said:

I've considered using the code that the GWS-22 uses to make a Blowpipe MANPAD, since it has a very erratic flight path and the GWS-22 likes to miss enough on its own. I'm sure it can be used to make a MANPAD that almost never hits *anything*.

As an aside, the SA-14 is part of the High Digit SAMs mods. Unfortunately, that mod needs editing to work with the most recent patches. Notably, the SON-9 and KS-19 need to be disabled, and the 5V55R model needs to be renamed (and the unit lua that references that shape needs to be edited to reflect the changed name).

Probably a good example of why mods and models should have some identifier in their name to make them unique. Kinda like HeatBlur added "HB" at the start or end of their missile names to ensure they don't conflict with anything.

Looking for an Sa7 for my mission. Any chance of sharing, either user files or just as a DM if you don't mind?

On 3/24/2024 at 10:19 AM, obsidianuk said:

Looking for an Sa7 for my mission. Any chance of sharing, either user files or just as a DM if you don't mind?

Sure, here you go. This is based off 2.01 version of High Digit SAM mod.

It's kind of a hack job, but if you flare the FIM-43 and 9M38M will almost always miss. Without flaring, they still tend to miss.

The Blowpipe just almost always misses, but it's immune to countermeasures. So that's nice, I guess.

Extra HDS Units.7z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1