Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

I was curious if anyone can get this to work in VR. I understand that you need to lift your headset to see the desktop but when I do, obviously the VR mirror moves around. When I get the map positioned in the mirror and get the way's designator over where I want it and tell it to set a point there, the co-ordinates never match the game. I assume I am doing something wrong here.

If someone has managed to get this working with VR could you please share how you do it? Thanks!

Yes i use this in VR just fine. There is a 'hack' of sorts though:

I use this mod for that:

I dont actually use any shader adjustments at all in this mod. The only reason i use it is the scratchpad in VR for copy pasting coordinates. Before i used 'the way' i was using this for coordinates in VR. Now this mod has another small benefit. It puts a small white dot in the center of the map when you check the checkbox under the scratchpad. And that is what you need.

Center the dot on the map where you want it. Make sure you have shortcut keys set for 'the way', as described in the github readme.ctr shift s, ctr shift t, cts shift d.

now, using the dot from the first mod, you can use 'the way' to setup multiple points acurrately with the shortcuts, and then transfer them to the cockpit. 

On 6/12/2023 at 1:43 AM, Comrade Doge said:

Hi, the problem is that you have pasted that line in the wrong file, it should be placed in the Export.lua file, not at the end of TheWay.lua file. If you remove it from there, and paste it at the end of the Export.lua, it should work correctly.

Hi, this is interesting, it might be a problem i haven't detected until now... i hope i can find a fix for it

I bit the bullet and stopped fighting it. Did a total uninstall of TheWay erasing any trace of it. Reinstalled.... seems to work fine now. From watching the animation of minimizing and restoring window it probably had something to do with it... *shrug*

On 6/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, nighteyes2017 said:

Yes i use this in VR just fine. There is a 'hack' of sorts though:

I use this mod for that:

I dont actually use any shader adjustments at all in this mod. The only reason i use it is the scratchpad in VR for copy pasting coordinates. Before i used 'the way' i was using this for coordinates in VR. Now this mod has another small benefit. It puts a small white dot in the center of the map when you check the checkbox under the scratchpad. And that is what you need.

Center the dot on the map where you want it. Make sure you have shortcut keys set for 'the way', as described in the github readme.ctr shift s, ctr shift t, cts shift d.

now, using the dot from the first mod, you can use 'the way' to setup multiple points acurrately with the shortcuts, and then transfer them to the cockpit. 

I use scratchpad already but I never thought of doing it this way! That's ingenious! Thanks! It is actually awesome because I don't have to lift my visor any more using this method! I can't wait to try it!

Didn't go through every page of the thread but am wondering if the F15E will be ready any time soon ... I notice on the github it does say "in development" 🙂

This app is a game changer for me, thank you so much!

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

On 7/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, lefty1117 said:

Didn't go through every page of the thread but am wondering if the F15E will be ready any time soon ... I notice on the github it does say "in development" 🙂

This app is a game changer for me, thank you so much!

Someone forked the original version and added F-15E support. You can snag it at this link... https://github.com/blueberrypi-studio/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/V2.1.3

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 12:07 AM, Comrade Doge said:

Correct, it is coming soon to the official version as well, together with some bug fixes.

I'm also wondering, could support for waypoint types in the apache be added?  Such as setting the IDENT for waypoints, so we can set control measures?  Example: buildings a preset that loads all airfields on the Caucasus map using the IDENT 'AG' (airfield general)

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

32 minutes ago, Magic Zach said:

I'm also wondering, could support for waypoint types in the apache be added?  Such as setting the IDENT for waypoints, so we can set control measures?  Example: buildings a preset that loads all airfields on the Caucasus map using the IDENT 'AG' (airfield general)

I'm thinking about this for the future, however, this would require a more advanced user interface. Stay tuned

• Thanks 1

staying tuned!

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

8 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

I'm thinking about this for the future, however, this would require a more advanced user interface. Stay tuned

So I’m assuming this is the same for the F15E and not being able to set target points? It only can make waypoints right now?

Ryzen 7 5800x w/ PBO on, RTX 3070ti w/ OC, 32 GB RAM @3000 | Quest 2, Virpil Joystick, Throttle, and Rudder

In VR, I can not seem to get the green circle to show up on the F-10 map. If i look on my monitor the circle is in the middle of the VR mirror window but it's not in the VR headset view. It is interacting with dcs because if i hit the save waypoint it will make one. 
Any tips to get this to work?

Thanks.

@Comrade Doge?

Edited by thekow

@Comrade Doge So I used The Way in conjunction with Scratch Pad in VR (thanks @nighteyes2017!) and it works perfectly.. except for one minor issue. The confirmation box on The Way still requires me to pop out of VR to click on it (unless I missed some option somewhere?). Could you please add an option to disable the confirmation? Perhaps a check box on the main The Way screen for VR users. Have it list the requirements for Precise setting etc. with a check box so it will just enter the waypoints once I tell it to? Otherwise, it's amazing! Thanks! I was finally able to spam out 8 JSOW's against an airbase on a 4YA server. It was pretty fun!

4 hours ago, Str][ker said:

@Comrade Doge So I used The Way in conjunction with Scratch Pad in VR (thanks @nighteyes2017!) and it works perfectly.. except for one minor issue. The confirmation box on The Way still requires me to pop out of VR to click on it (unless I missed some option somewhere?). Could you please add an option to disable the confirmation? Perhaps a check box on the main The Way screen for VR users. Have it list the requirements for Precise setting etc. with a check box so it will just enter the waypoints once I tell it to? Otherwise, it's amazing! Thanks! I was finally able to spam out 8 JSOW's against an airbase on a 4YA server. It was pretty fun!

Yes, this will be available in the next release

• Like 2

Hello everyone, work on the project is still going, and F15E support is finally here.

The latest version of TheWay brings the following features:

• Added support for F15E waypoints in B route format, special thanks to @blueberrypi-studio
  • Added support for Superbug Hornets mod and all IDF F-16s
  • Added possibility to never show confirmation dialogs again
  • Fixed crosshair sometimes becoming a black box
  • Fixed issue where multiple instances could be launched
  • Fixed A10 max waypoint name error
  • Fixed some coordinate errors for the BlackShark
  • UI elements bug fixes

Download the latest version from here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v2.1.0

Just run the installer and it should update fine. If you spot any issues or problems, PM me on this forum and I'll have a look.

For the next release, big plans... Stay tuned

Edited by Comrade Doge
  • Like 4

@Comrade Doge Thanks for the great update! I noticed that for the transfer to DCS press, I am still being prompted to confirm even though I clicked the do not ask me again box the last time I used it. Should this not be persistent each time the app is started or are you only setting this per session? If per session, can you please set this as permanent (or at least include a variable which we can manually set in the config file?) As it is, I still need to hop out of VR to the desktop in order to transfer the waypoints to the jet in DCS which defeats the potential of this option for VR users.

Thanks!

Edited by Str][ker

45 minutes ago, Str][ker said:

@Comrade Doge Thanks for the great update! I noticed that for the transfer to DCS press, I am still being prompted to confirm even though I clicked the do not ask me again box the last time I used it. Should this not be persistent each time the app is started or are you only setting this per session? If per session, can you please set this as permanent (or at least include a variable which we can manually set in the config file?) As it is, I still need to hop out of VR to the desktop in order to transfer the waypoints to the jet in DCS which defeats the potential of this option for VR users.

Thanks!

Hi, please download the latest hotfix release, it should solve the issue and the checkbox will be persisted throughout

• Thanks 1

I wanted to share a video I made demonstrating your excellent program. It shows its use from a VR user's perspective. I utilized the great suggestion from @nighteyes2017 to include using scratchpad to get around the problems of figuring out where The Way is going to grab the map co-ordinates from. I'll include the link below for your reference. Please let me know if I missed anything or made errors.