CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

Some notes from me...

• The props should be spinning when the ship is in motion (some have noted this)
  • The doors on the island seem a bit short compared to a person. I'm not sure if this was the case on the real ship or not, but it is something I noticed.
  • I've noticed that the S-3 and E-2 tend to play bumper cars when taxing to the cats.
  • And when placing static objects, there are cases where they'll levitate in places they shouldn't, especially around the Island.
  • Like 1

Just had some more time with the ship, here's my take:

Too many Forklifts on the flight deck. I get that it supposed to be the "junk yard" effect though.

The "meatball is not very visible although the Datums are VERY visible! 

The flight Deck has a nice old and natural grime and feel to it. But it is too dark. I cannot see the LA until in close. 

And I have to say it: I miss the deck crew from the SC. Having a Director line you up is worth millions! JK, but I'm saying! 

Overall, I like it! Just little things need ATD.

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

That brings up a different point, need to either have the carriers be skinable or some other way to show accumulated wear of deployments. Bright and fresh after an RCOH, beginning of cruise, mid cruise, and on return... 

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I'm willing to bet that there were CAT 3 restrictions here back in the day. The CAT 3 JBD is way too small (not a criticism). I looked up some pics and cant find any of tomcats going off of CV-59's CAT 3. CAT 4 seemed to be the go to. At least that is how it appears. Makes sense for that era when they had different aircraft and not just Rhino's everywhere.

Missing: Barricade Stanchions (Flush with the deck of course)

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Forgive the stupid question but I haven't had time to actually fly the Tomcat off the Forrestal, and might not for a little bit, but:

Since it's "on par" with the Stennis, will we get launched off at 100% RPM without a chance for a proper controls wipeout, or can we control launch via salute/master lights like we can on the Supercarrier?

Forgive the stupid question but I haven't had time to actually fly the Tomcat off the Forrestal, and might not for a little bit, but:
Since it's "on par" with the Stennis, will we get launched off at 100% RPM without a chance for a proper controls wipeout, or can we control launch via salute/master lights like we can on the Supercarrier?
I just tried it, and I was able to run the engines up to 100% and AB without launch. Launch was activated with the usual Salute/lights.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Yesterday evening we spent about 3 hours doing just rounds around the boat. Unfortunately I have to say that I have severe problems with lineup. I simply cannot see any deck markings until in-close. For most of the groove, the carrier just is a black hole. ICLS can be used as crutch, but it cannot replace seeing the orientation of the landing area for rolling out in the groove precisely.

I understand that the deck weathering is realistic and it certainly looks awesome. But I suspect that this is a hardware problem, as VR displays do not yet have the clarity and brightness to emulate true human vision. As such I wonder if it is possible to make a technical compromise. Perhaps the lower LODs could be adjusted to make deck markings more visible from a distance, while preserving the great weathered look up close.

• Like 3

vor 3 Minuten schrieb MBot:

Yesterday evening we spent about 3 hours doing just rounds around the boat. Unfortunately I have to say that I have severe problems with lineup. I simply cannot see any deck markings until in-close. For most of the groove, the carrier just is a black hole. ICLS can be used as crutch, but it cannot replace seeing the orientation of the landing area for rolling out in the groove precisely.

I understand that the deck weathering is realistic and it certainly looks awesome. But I suspect that this is a hardware problem, as VR displays do not yet have the clarity and brightness to emulate true human vision. As such I wonder if it is possible to make a technical compromise. Perhaps the lower LODs could be adjusted to make deck markings more visible from a distance, while preserving the great weathered look up close.

Check your Alpha settings, for me the Forrestal looks alright 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

I'm willing to bet that there were CAT 3 restrictions here back in the day. The CAT 3 JBD is way too small (not a criticism). I looked up some pics and cant find any of tomcats going off of CV-59's CAT 3. CAT 4 seemed to be the go to. At least that is how it appears. Makes sense for that era when they had different aircraft and not just Rhino's everywhere.

Missing: Barricade Stanchions (Flush with the deck of course)

I was able to launch off cat 3 yesterday. You have to taxi up right to the shuttle to hook up. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb MBot:

I was experiencing the same problem in VR: the Forrestal's flight deck was a dark gray blob until late in the groove, which made lineup rather difficult, especially since the smaller flight deck takes getting used to as well. Not to mention the (for my pathetic system specs) severe drop in fps which made it harder still. 

1 hour ago, Airhunter said:

I was able to launch off cat 3 yesterday. You have to taxi up right to the shuttle to hook up. 

The concern would be without a proper JBD that you could be blowing men and aircraft around, causing death & destruction,  not that it wouldn't work for the launching aircraft. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mobista:

Check your Alpha settings, for me the Forrestal looks alright 😄

Subjectively speaking, at least for me it was more a texture issue rather than a brightness issue. The low contrast between "deck coating" and "weathered" markings make it harder to discern details when rolling out, at least in VR with the Vive. Generally a LOD problem, I suppose.

Edited by Jayhawk1971

Supercarrier needs to have deck crew running from explosions and towards chutes in the water (separately lol) instead of just standing there.

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

34 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Subjectively speaking, at least for me it was more a texture issue rather than a brightness issue. The low contrast between "deck coating" and "weathered" markings make it harder to discern details when rolling out, at least in VR with the Vive. Generally a LOD problem, I suppose.

Seems fine once in the groove to me. Use the wake and BRC radial as a reference.

Screen_211021_191849.png

Edited by Airhunter
  • Like 1

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Airhunter:

Seems fine once in the groove to me. Use the wake and BRC radial as a reference.

Screen_211021_191849.png

I wish this were what I was seeing when playing in VR. 😐

It's not nearly as crisp and clear in my headset, unfortunately. Still managed to trap (3 wire, even, according to Jester), but it wasn't pretty. 🙂 Then again, if the AI LSO is suffering from the same aliasing as me, he probably didn't notice. 🙂

This detailed recreation of the CV-59 USS Forrestal represents some of the capabilities from DCS: Supercarrier including and not limited to; defence systems, night lighting, and catapult/arrestor systems.

@IronMike Will the USS Forrestal be compatible with DCS Supercarrier deck crew, etc.? Or will be like Stennis?

Best regards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

I wish this were what I was seeing when playing in VR. 😐

It's not nearly as crisp and clear in my headset, unfortunately. Still managed to trap (3 wire, even, according to Jester), but it wasn't pretty. 🙂 Then again, if the AI LSO is suffering from the same aliasing as me, he probably didn't notice. 🙂

Well VR will always be VR and depend highly only your settings and headset. 

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Airhunter:

Well VR will always be VR and depend highly only your settings and headset. 

No argument there. Was just sharing my experience as it was similar to what MBot experienced. 

Should Heatblur or ED find a solution that most can live with - without breaking immersion for the majority of users (those playing flatscreen or with better headsets/GPUs) - it would be great. If not, well, I'll adapt, as always. (echo sounding out the carrier by making clicking noises with my tongue, like a bat? Should look into that......  🤪 😄)

Adam West Dancing GIF

I noticed that I tend to spawn in the Tomcat with the Nose Wheel Strut DOWN - dunno why that's the case.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

7 minutes ago, Airhunter said:

On the cat or on a deck position?

On a deck slot. 

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR