FPS Lost after DCS 2.7.7.14727 patch

Miro

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Has anyone tried uninstalling ALL mods and doing a slow repair after the update? Maybe something went wrong in the update process itself. Worth a shot, and can't hurt....

Yes, tried, also tried delete C Folder DCS.openbeta, nothing helps. It's openbeta, ant things like this patch will happens, i need revert to last build, but cannot find how to do that.

:pilotfly:

10 minutes ago, Miro said:

Yes, tried, also tried delete C Folder DCS.openbeta, nothing helps. It's openbeta, ant things like this patch will happens, i need revert to last build, but cannot find how to do that.

Revert is explained here ..

use..

DCS_Updater.exe update <version.subversion> (so I assume you'd want "DCS_Updater.exe update 2.7.6.13436")

Edited by ShaunX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

50 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Has anyone tried uninstalling ALL mods and doing a slow repair after the update? Maybe something went wrong in the update process itself. Worth a shot, and can't hurt....

Also done. No difference. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I didn't have any mods in but did do a slow repair along with reinstalling gfx driver and updating windows, clearing caches for gfx driver and the sim etc as some advised but it made no difference. Everything was running OK until the update

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

Are you saying we need to turn ON ground shadows to get MORE performance? I always fly with Terrain Shadows to OFF, since they drastically affect performance in VR. 

Yes, that it is what I am saying. For some reason, shadows are increasing performance. but I can't tell all other conditions. I just saw it because I tried to set the best performance. So i lowered evey setting and the performance was horrible. Worse, than with my normal play settings. Some tests showed that shadows makes it better. See the screenshots below. However:

When I have my normal settings, and I remove the shadows, it does NOT drop so much. So there must be at least a third factor.

I had no time yet to identify other incluences.

(Btw. I corrected my first post in which I assumed the nvidia driver to have big influence)

EDIT: I've tried all combinations of Terrain Schadow and normal schadow settings. Best performance for me was having

Shadows: Low
Terrain Shadows: Default -
-> Getting in 25 seconds an average of 80.5 FPS

Any other setting combination, like any of them "Flat" or "none" gives me an average of ~64 FPS. I've tried all of them

EDIT 2: I made a table of the results. Would be very interesting if other can also check this

ShadowCompare.jpg

Screen_211026_203149.jpg

Screen_211026_203253.jpg

Edited by Limaro
  • Thanks 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

• ED Team
Just now, Enduro14 said:

Ha you mean the best ground shadow setting is best performance now?  Ha maybe its a good thing will try shortly

Well no, cause it doesn't perform better than before. The performance saving options are just bugged now

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, Miro said:

Screen_211026_224935.png

I strongly wish this works, but not for me, terrain shadows flat 45 FPS, and on screenshot terrain shadows default 36 FPS. And I remember with nostalgia that a few days ago I had 60 FPS.

It fixes performance loss in unpopulated areas, it will still tank even worse in populated ones.
For now the only way to recover FPS seems to be setting terrain shadows to standard, and then completely turning them off using shadows option.
Setting shadows to off in both dropdowns also tanks FPS, despite no difference in what is being rendered, which is completely nonsense and suggest something got severely broken this patch.

16 minutes ago, Miro said:

I strongly wish this works, but not for me, terrain shadows flat 45 FPS, and on screenshot terrain shadows default 36 FPS. And I remember with nostalgia that a few days ago I had 60 FPS.

That's really strage. Can you post your whole settings, I'd like to try and compare

EDIT to your edit: dont set shadow below "low". with flat or off, fps drops.

Edited by Limaro

2 minutes ago, Limaro said:

That's really strage. Can you post your whole settings, I'd like to try and compare

Screen_211026_230618.png

My standard settings except for terrain shadows, which i got on flat. Pretty high, but remember that I'm flying on 1080p flatscreen.

:pilotfly:

nope, I cant replicate the data 

I get approximately 75FPS with Default shadows and  80 something without shadows

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

This is all strange.

I've tried your settings Miro, and can confirm that with this, the FLAT shadows seams to perform best. Totally contradictory to my initial tests with all other settings to lowest possible. I guess there is some unexpected interfering. These are my results with you settings, switching through different shadow settings:

grafik.png

Edited by Limaro
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Miro said:

Screen_211026_230618.png

My standard settings except for terrain shadows, which i got on flat. Pretty high, but remember that I'm flying on 1080p flatscreen.

Ah.........fond memories of the word "high" and sliders that went to the right..........

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Just installed 2.7.6 Stable on another drive to test against 2.7.7 Open Beta.

Created a mission without moving units, to make sure everything would be at the same spots during all the tests.

2.7.6 Stable:

Mi-24P Ramp hot start with MIRRORS ON: 36 FPS

Mi-24P Ramp hot start with MIRRORS OFF: 44-46 FPS

2.7.7 Open Beta:

Mi-24P Ramp hot start with MIRRORS ON: 28-29 FPS

Mi-24P Ramp hot start with MIRRORS OFF: 34-36 FPS

Exactly the same graphics/game settings for both versions. Waited at least a minute for the FPS to stabilize!

Specs: GTX 1060 6GB, 32GB 1866Mhz DDR3, Core i5 4670k @4.2ghz

Stable vs OB FPS test.png

Edited by LordLobs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The worse thing for me that I've found since the patch is, motion smoothing has NO effect. I'm showing locked at 45fps GPU with 14 ms GPU frametime, but it is a jittery mess now.

And I can concur, performance dips with shadows OFF.

what the hell?

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

This is where my tests came, I got tired, the update is totally broken, there is no way that the developers do not realize the problem. I will try to go back to the previous standalone version and obviously I will have to stay away from multiplayer until ED fixes the problem, if it recognizes it and decides to do so.

• Like 2

Something strange that is happening to me is also the temperatures, my micro reaches 89 degrees and gpu 80 degrees which with no game has done, it is the first time that it reaches those temperatures. With the rest of the games I maintain temperatures according to 60 degrees micro and 65 degrees gpu.

• Like 1