Performance (FPS) loss from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7

Limaro
Go to solution Solved by Limaro,

Updating from 2.7.6 to 2.7.7, first in Open Beta, then in stable, my frames per seconds decreased significantly - arround 10 to 15 %.

As wished from the other thread, this one is specific to me, for my settings and not meant for discussion.

I also posted all my things here and here

My attached zip contains
- Two Trackfiles, flying in Beirut and Caucasus
- Screenshots of in-game settings
- Report Summary Excel
- For all versions (2.7.6, 2.7.7, 2.7.7 cleared)
    - Verbose NVidia reports
    - Logfiles

Easiest way I found to reproduce:
- Create new mission in caucasus and start directly (camera is over Anapa, and the frames are 145 vs 119 FPS)

My PC in short: Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 2080 Super, Windows 10

Some prosa from all my testings:

- I first have compared freshly installed stable (before patch) with OB. After stable was also changed to 2.7.7, the loss also occured there. I then downgraded stable back to 2.7.6, and the nicer performance came back.
- I have tested with deactivation of all modues on both sides
- I removed all Scripts and cleaned the metashader2 and fxo
- I run cleanup and repair
- I have tested many many settings combinations. But the loss seems to maintain the 10 - 15% drop rate.
-> from 60 to 52 or from 145 to 119...
- I also tried the last 3 NVidia drivers.
- I have tested many different nVidia graphic settings
- I have tried deactivation of Geforce Experiance
- I did not observe hugh differences for GPU in voltage, temperature or usage

- I have tested with and without using multiple screens. Most tests were with only one screen.
- At the beginning I had issues using different nvidia driver, but was not able to reproduce. I guess I also changed settings doing so.

I will update this post when finding something new.

@ED team: Feel free to ask me to test specific settings, track different logs, or what ever could help you to identify the root cause.

nvidia settings.png

DxDiag.txt 2.7.6_vs_2.7.7_Analysis.zip NVIDIA System Information 10-29-2021 15-11-31.txt

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

Hi Flappie, you should find the exact versions and many oder informations in the attached zip, as they contain the dcs Log files. I believe 2.7.7.15038 and 2.7.6.13436

27 minutes ago, Flappie said:

@LimaroMany thanks for your thorough test. I can reproduce the issue. I used your tracks and made my own tracks as well, and I get the same FPS loss: between -10% and -15%.

I'll report the issue internally.

Hi @Flappie, wow this is really great news to read, thanks for givin this update 🥰!
I will share this answer to the other - more frequented - thread, this will lead to many reliefs 😊

Edited by Limaro

Thanks Limaro and Flappie. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• ED Team

Thank you for the useful information, the team will investigate, a report has been made. 

Please note not everyone is seeing this loss, I still can not reproduce. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am adding "new" information.

I have tried everything again, but that time on my wifes computer. And I am getting the same results, resp. same drop of FPS.
2.7.6.13436:   74.0 FPS
2.7.7.15038:    61.5 FPS

She has a totally different PC than I do. Only common thing are the windows language, and the nvidia driver version.
In a nutshell: Win 10 Pro, i5-4670, 16 GB Ram, GTX 980

So again, attached you will find:

- trackfile and a mission
- two geforce performance logs
- two dcs logs
- dxdiag
- screenshot of settings (different to mine, as pc is slower)

Some prosa to the installed situation:

- I have first installed DCS open beta
- I created the track file and mission
- Then I measured
- switched to 2.7.6 and measured again. And it was better!
- then I switched back to 2.7.7 and it was bad again.

dcs performance drop.zip DxDiag.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'd like to share one last but very important information, thats why I just not updated my previous reply:

On my wifes computer, there are
- no modules.
- It's a very blank installation
- with its own DCS account, and there are
- no devices beside mouse and keyboard.

I still cannot understand, how it can be, that this does not happen to all.

What I consider a big problem, is, that not all people may have noticed the issue - and/or they don't take the effort to really compare different versions, making rollbacks  and dedicated comparisons - espacially now that stable is also on that version. So the real number of affected people could be underestimated easily.
And: People not having the problem, shared not much data so far.
So I beg ED to not give it up, finding a solution!

And in that spirit, I repeat my offer to make more verbose test, when I am getting asked. I have two different computers available. Just give us intermediate build versions, zipped shaders, special configs files, or whatever could lead to valuable knowledge.
..as software developer I am used to debugging 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I delivered the requested files and posted some comparison screenshots so that should be enough from my side.
I didn't notice a problem at first since i cap my FPS and on 2.7.7 it didn't go below that capped value so there was nothing negative to see.
After uncapping the FPS, the difference is what i posted.

I'll keep stable at 2.7.6.13436 as a reference because once updated, there is nothing to compare anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi, ive just experienced a very strange behavior in VR an would like to report. Maybe it could help...

Ive launched a mission and could see the fps loss. Then i quit and relaunch. Same thing. Unable to recover fps even after waiting time to be sure everything is loaded. Even after several minutes flying.

But. After a relaunch, ive done alt+tab (so window is out of focus) to launch system monitor or anything else and immediately i see fps recover and stable...

Ive tried to reproduce with several missions and conditions without change settings and each time i see the same. First loss of fps and then Alt+tab (windows out of focus) and fps increase after 2 or 3 seconds. It is like system suddenly could allow more ressources doing the alt+tab...

Ive a intel core i5 9400F, with 24gb RAM and rtx 3060ti gaming x trio 8gb on win10. All updated. Usually 50-60fps stable in VR with lot of settings on high or ultra. Since last dcs update between 20-40 fps unstable. And here, after that weird thing, between 45-55fps stable.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:45 PM, zb2oby said:

Hi, ive just experienced a very strange behavior in VR an would like to report. Maybe it could help...

Ive launched a mission and could see the fps loss. Then i quit and relaunch. Same thing. Unable to recover fps even after waiting time to be sure everything is loaded. Even after several minutes flying.

But. After a relaunch, ive done alt+tab (so window is out of focus) to launch system monitor or anything else and immediately i see fps recover and stable...

Ive tried to reproduce with several missions and conditions without change settings and each time i see the same. First loss of fps and then Alt+tab (windows out of focus) and fps increase after 2 or 3 seconds. It is like system suddenly could allow more ressources doing the alt+tab...

Ive a intel core i5 9400F, with 24gb RAM and rtx 3060ti gaming x trio 8gb on win10. All updated. Usually 50-60fps stable in VR with lot of settings on high or ultra. Since last dcs update between 20-40 fps unstable. And here, after that weird thing, between 45-55fps stable.

I ve tried what you described. But i have no moment where fps reaches more than when not pressing alt+tab 😞

2.7.8 OB - zero difference. As expected. 

Not submitting further info unless specifically asked to. Whatever was hitting performance with the last 2 beta continues in this one. I have run comparisons between OB and 2.7.6 on 3 different machines now. Limaro has done the same on 2 of his.  Five machines, five different builds running the same control missions with idenical settings on clean installs with new save game folders. all showing consistent and demonstratable downturns in performance. Not one shows performance on par to 2.7.6 let alone an improvement..

I am very surprised that this has been unable to be reproduced across any ED machine save for flappie's.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

2.7.8. is about the same as 2.7.7., e.g. worse than 2.7.6.

VR preset at ss100/1.0 runs absolutely smoothly but looks awful. In 2.6. it ran smoothly even at almost highest settings. Now I need to downgrade this and that and it is still worse than before. 

Win 10, 5600x, 32GB, 3070

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1