F/A-18 grip is $140.82 before tax and free ship for prime but is it worth it?

neoshi

Posted this in hardware sub originally because i forgot we have a TM sub.

Saw the TM F/A-18 grip show up on woot here: https://computers.woot.com/offers/gaming-thrustmast-f-a-18-grip-add-on-1?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

$140.82 before tax and free shipping for Amazon Prime members. 

Think it's worth it at this price? I do have the Hornet module... But I've seen a lot of posts about issues with switches.

I’ve had mine for a couple of years now and really like it.  Have tried the TM F16 grip and didn’t really rate it in comparison 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have had mine for around 2.5 years and still prefer it to the original A-10 grip.

• Extra weight provides more accuracy
  • Prefer layout and types of buttons and switches
  • Ability to fly (cruise/formation) with hand resting on top of the stick

Issues

• Grip had mechanical y-axis movement (slight wobble), I rejected TM's RMA request - solved: tightened screws, added wooden wedge
  • Trigger switch second detent is "sticky" on release - unresolved
  • Castle switch "push" action lacks feedback - unresolved
  • Paint degrading under where palm rests to reveal grey metal - unresolved: I like the look and feel
  • Red weapon release button out of reach - unresolved (currently desk mounted, needs proper mount)

The TM base is not so good. It has approximately 4 degrees of mechanical rotational movement which I have not been able to resolve. Will replace with Virpil base when I build simpit.

I paid £189.00 (approximately $260.00).

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

As usual you only read issues on forums, none starts a thread saying "I'm happy with this stick". 😉

I like the stick, it's also the replica for Harrier, F15C and f15e. 

It also fits quite well the f14. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

No issue with mine.  At that price it is really a great deal.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It depends on what plane you fly. It's a Hornet stick and it's perfect for flying the Hornet. It's one switch short for flying the Viper or Hog.

Going the other way the Hog grip work perfect for the Hog and Viper and I like it for the Hornet too because it has the extra switch which works perfect for zoom.

So, it's a personal choice. If all I flew was the Hornet i'd want the Hornet grip. Although the WinWing Orion is a much better choice than the Warthog HOTAS with Hornet grip.

Buzz

7 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

I hear that it is not good for desktop flying due to the angle of the stick, bit great if mounted between the legs.

It’s not that bad. I even used it for mining in Elite Dangerous, that tedious bit of grind, placed on my desk. You just have hold your stick lightly instead of death grip like a lot of noobs would. Death grip would indeed make you “feel” the wrong angle.  But I have to admit that I bought two sets of TM flying clamps for it in a side stick configuration (for both F16 and F18, and no the center is occupied by Boeing yoke).

Another one returned due to a sticking WSS here.

I didn’t feel it was as well constructed as the A10/F16 grip and found the switches a bit too “clacky”

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

On 1/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, Baldrick33 said:

Another one returned due to a sticking WSS here.

I didn’t feel it was as well constructed as the A10/F16 grip and found the switches a bit too “clacky”

In my case the second stage trigger feels clacky, other than that, very happy. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Was wondering if anybody get one of these and if it’s legit.

Thx

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:56 AM, Steel Jaw said:

I hear that it is not good for desktop flying due to the angle of the stick, bit great if mounted between the legs.

Exactly this.

I have one and love it, but I have it mounted as a center stick on my chair, low enough that my right arm lightly rests on my leg. I would not use it mounted too high such as on a desk, or as a side stick. 

No issues with mine. Love it.  Very very tactile 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Mine has been excellent, and is the grip I like the best of those I own (the Warthog grip, two Virpil grips and the RS Viper grip). The buttons and switches feel fantastic. The grip is great for the Hornet, Harrier and the upcoming Mudhen, and works well with all the older aircrafts. For the Viper and the Hog an F-16 style grip is better suited though. It does deserve a better base than the WH, and upgrading the base to a Virpil is something I would recommend doing first (assuming you have a WH grip), as that will make a much bigger difference. 

13 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I thought about it when flying the Hornet. However, I like the extra 4 way switch on the Viper stick. It's perfect for zoom.

They have the same number of switches, the small up,down,push switch is a pretty good alternative for zoom.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yeah I’m one of them guys and sent 2 back. It’s a hit and miss I guess. The TM warthog/viper grip buttons are pure solid.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

52 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I thought about it when flying the Hornet. However, I like the extra 4 way switch on the Viper stick. It's perfect for zoom.

Yes, there is that.

Mine is paired with a Virpil CM3 throttle so plenty of switches there.

24 minutes ago, Cab said:

Yes, there is that.

Mine is paired with a Virpil CM3 throttle so plenty of switches there.

Because of an advanced cataract I have to zoom in on everything in the cockpit to see what i'm doing. The TMS switch is perfect for zooming. I can use without a modifier in the Hornet. My left hand is usually busy doing something else to use the throttle. Like freezing Trackir. I use an easy to reach keyboard press for that.

In the Viper/Hog I use the paddle as a modifier and then still use TMS switch for zoom.

We're all different and that's what works best for me. I really like the Hornet the best because no modifier is needed.

I know someone will say to have the cataract operated on. Not so easy in my case. I'm blind in my right eye. Doctors won't operate on my left eye to remove the cataract because they say if something goes wrong I could end up blind. They tell me to just live with the cataract but it's getting pretty hard to do now. It looks like it's always foggy to me and i'm wearing the wrong prescription glasses. Zoom is the only way I can still fly. Not very well but better than nothing.

Buzz