Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

Am 20.4.2023 um 13:10 schrieb SgtPappy:

Yea, what other jet can carry 4 sparrows, 4 sidewinders, two drop tanks AND 12 Mk 82s at the same time? I dont even think the Strike Eagle could since the outer two hard points were deleted from the F-15 until just recently.

I think the F-15E can carry 8x Aim-120, then 4x GBU-39 (small diameter bomb?) under each wing, and then something on the central pylon?

I wonder how the GBU-39 will work though, I read somewhere the under wing pylons arent wired for JDAM and guided ammo. So maybe limited to laser guided or pre-programmed?

@Kalasnkova74 Thank you for the writeup, its always fun to read stories like that! With fighter planes and their gear, many people will just throw around claims that get taken on face value, but the reality is often so much more complicated than that. 

Doubly so when even the politics inside and outside of the military affect decisions in a sometimes nonsensical way. The Aim-4 history certainly reads like a story from a time when even militaries sometimes didnt understood missiles, as long as they werent directly connected with the projects.

Especially the Sidewinder is a fun story though. An actual underdog, yet to become so much more. So good it even created a proud tradition of soviet heatseeking A2A-missiles (dang it xD).

Edited by Temetre

Will we only see the F-4 at the end of the year?

• Like 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

1 hour ago, ThorBrasil said:

Will we only see the F-4 at the end of the year?

No, it won't. There is not even a cockpit done, if there was, some pictures would have already leaked. Still a long way to go...

• Like 3

:pilotfly:

1 hour ago, Miro said:

No, it won't. There is not even a cockpit done, if there was, some pictures would have already leaked. Still a long way to go...

They could just be avoiding sharing that right now until they can show everything off in a video or something. Chances are, it's done but with how HB operates, it won't be shown off until the end.

• Like 3

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

8 hours ago, Miro said:

I'm not convinced of that. Just because "many" would leak, isn't proof that "all" will leak. Some people and groups are able to maintain very high opsec. Just because they aren't showing, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some are just quiet.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, RevampedGrunt said:

They could just be avoiding sharing that right now until they can show everything off in a video or something. Chances are, it's done but with how HB operates, it won't be shown off until the end.

4 hours ago, Rick50 said:

I'm not convinced of that. Just because "many" would leak, isn't proof that "all" will leak. Some people and groups are able to maintain very high opsec. Just because they aren't showing, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some are just quiet.

In one of the last newsletters we saw the creator ticking photos of the cockpit, so they are just doing it. BTW, I hope I'm wrong.

:pilotfly:

7 minutes ago, Miro said:

In one of the last newsletters we saw the creator ticking photos of the cockpit, so they are just doing it. BTW, I hope I'm wrong.

Those pictures are very old. They posted them quite some time ago on their Facebook. Those pictures may not of even been posted immediately after they were captured.

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito

In my opinion HB's PR strategy is very good - to publish only a few updates, but of high quality.
However, I also have to say that I misjudged the release date. After it became clear that it would no longer be released in 2022, I expected an early Q1 release. Now it's Q2 and we're still waiting for the big announcement. I don't even want to talk about the release.
I don't mean that in a judgmental way

• Like 4

Am 30.4.2023 um 18:32 schrieb Germane:

In my opinion HB's PR strategy is very good - to publish only a few updates, but of high quality.
However, I also have to say that I misjudged the release date. After it became clear that it would no longer be released in 2022, I expected an early Q1 release. Now it's Q2 and we're still waiting for the big announcement. I don't even want to talk about the release.
I don't mean that in a judgmental way

Idk why devs are so reluctant to give info tho. The current silence created more false expectations than a vague date or announced delay.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Temetre said:

Idk why devs are so reluctant to give info tho. The current silence created more false expectations than a vague date or announced delay.

The forums are packed with people with expectations and being upset when something is not done according to an update. Patience is a virtue. 

• Like 3

vor 16 Minuten schrieb 104th_Crunch:

The forums are packed with people with expectations and being upset when something is not done according to an update. Patience is a virtue. 

Oh I agree, its a sad truth that developers cant be fully honest without some people getting angry. How devs cant give estimates, because theyre taken by a tiny but loud/angry minority as promises, and who treat delays like betrayals. No matter how much the dev presses that hes just giving internal estimates. 

But on the other hand, not everyone is that immature, and there is also giving too little information. I feel with the F4 Phantom its the other direction, we know so little that the few tidbits we got only create more confusion. We dont know whats going on with the project.

Eg it would be nice to know if they think a release in the next 3 month is realistic, or if its at least 6 months, something in that fashion.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Temetre said:

Oh I agree, its a sad truth that developers cant be fully honest without some people getting angry. How devs cant give estimates, because theyre taken by a tiny but loud/angry minority as promises, and who treat delays like betrayals. No matter how much the dev presses that hes just giving internal estimates. 

But on the other hand, not everyone is that immature, and there is also giving too little information. I feel with the F4 Phantom its the other direction, we know so little that the few tidbits we got only create more confusion. We dont know whats going on with the project.

Eg it would be nice to know if they think a release in the next 3 month is realistic, or if its at least 6 months, something in that fashion.

Even better maybe, instead of estimates of release dates, how about progress updates? That's all I'd really like to see.

• Like 2

Thought it was at the beginning of the year where Cobra mentioned that we'd see more info on it before we get to 6 months. Now whether that meant pictures of it from time to time or outright new info on systems, weaponry, cockpit pics, etc. Is beyond me. 

• Like 2

vor 50 Minuten schrieb RevampedGrunt:

Thought it was at the beginning of the year where Cobra mentioned that we'd see more info on it before we get to 6 months. Now whether that meant pictures of it from time to time or outright new info on systems, weaponry, cockpit pics, etc. Is beyond me. 

Huh, thats interesting. From a lot of peoples talk I wouldve expected it to be planned for first half of the year or so. Now that almost makes me wonder if the module will even come this year. Or maybe just as as pre-christmas date.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

Just thinking.....

Maybe the Phantom is planned to be the first Module fully using the multi Threading Tec.

If this is right it NEEDS the Tec to be running smoothly in the Main Programm....

Maybe Heatblur is ready to release the Phantom but got to wait for ED to implement MTT into DCS?

PS.: Sorry for my bad English 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Temetre said:

Huh, thats interesting. From a lot of peoples talk I wouldve expected it to be planned for first half of the year or so. Now that almost makes me wonder if the module will even come this year. Or maybe just as as pre-christmas date.

It will most likely come in Q4 if at all this year for sure. If we end up seeing a pre-order during this summer though, could see a late Q3 release... That may be a bit optimistic though. 

1 hour ago, AzraelKurita said:

Just thinking.....

Maybe the Phantom is planned to be the first Module fully using the multi Threading Tec.

If this is right it NEEDS the Tec to be running smoothly in the Main Programm....

Maybe Heatblur is ready to release the Phantom but got to wait for ED to implement MTT into DCS?

PS.: Sorry for my bad English 🙂

I imagine they'd be working on making the aircraft work as well as it can with MT but I doubt that MT development will cause any delays for the Phantom. If anything, they'd continue to update the Phantom alongside MT if needed. 

• Like 1

vor 38 Minuten schrieb RevampedGrunt:

It will most likely come in Q4 if at all this year for sure. If we end up seeing a pre-order during this summer though, could see a late Q3 release... That may be a bit optimistic though. 

Yeh, for now it seems likes it best not to make assumptions or get hyped for potential release. Looks like 4-6 months away even with optimistic estimates. Just weird because it sounded like early this year was the original plan? Maybe that was a misunderstanding tho.

Either way I hope HB deliver a good product from the getgo, like theyve apparently done with the F-14. If that means delays, its perfectly alright with me.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Temetre said:

Just weird because it sounded like early this year was the original plan?

The original plan was 2022.  We're definitely still months out.

• Like 3

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Honestly for me it depends on what exactly is missing still. There are some things I could certainly live without in order to fly it but obviously Cobra and the guys (and girls?) wouldn't want to do that.