Announcing the F-4 Phantom for DCS World!

Cobra847

52 minutes ago, Gianky said:

Care to elaborate?

Made me wonder too. For a first post - quite a way to announce yourself. :shocking:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

6 minutes ago, ben_der said:

Happy last Phantom Phriday of 2023!
The Team is heads down on the Phantom to squash bugs and square things up!

image.png

We would lend you a hand!* 😜 

(to find those bugs at least)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

15 hours ago, ben_der said:

image.png

Can we see some images of the HB product please, showing us images of actual F-4’s is misleading . . . 😉😁

Looking good guys. VERY good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 12/29/2023 at 2:25 PM, ben_der said:

image.png

that image legit confused my eyes , this is incredible  the f4 is looking AMAIZING GJ HeatBlur.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sBinnala64 said:

phantom will be so phun

and phantastic... phor real!

• Like 2

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

On 12/28/2023 at 7:16 AM, Manhorne said:

Well , It wont make this "Winter" either. There are too many factors why it wont make a March release I see . Which is only 4 months away. Everyone keeps speculating and believing the "Winter" release but a lot of statements made by the team working on it throw even that in doubt so I do not believe it will make it. I have said maybe a June or July release but I would not at all be surprised if it is this time next year before it comes out. HB has given zero confidence in their divination abilities and they should have just said it will be out when its done and they should have made no claims of a date until they where actually done with almost zero chance of a delay...Just my opinion on the subject. They actually made 3 predictions of a release before the "This Winter" release announcement but in a statement I saw last night they seem not confident in that.

The biggest difference between every other prediction and "winter '23” is money has now changed hands.

People have now paid money in the expectation of a release by March. So it has a release window now whether they like it or not. It will likely follow the tomcat release: preorder in October with a winter release that ended up releasing in March.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcsil2pilot said:

The biggest difference between every other prediction and "winter '23” is money has now changed hands.

People have now paid money in the expectation of a release by March. So it has a release window now whether they like it or not. It will likely follow the tomcat release: preorder in October with a winter release that ended up releasing in March.

That is a probable possibility but the next few weeks will tell. We will see....

On 12/16/2023 at 5:45 AM, ben_der said:

screen_231215_185058.png

screen_231215_184154.png

Assuming these pictures are sneak-peeks from in-game DCS of the HB F-4E in development, is there an "issue" illustrated in these two pictures?  The low drag bombs fall and retain the aircraft's speed pretty well...low drag.  However, the high drag bombs seem to be either extremely high drag or not falling under force of 1 G.  Also, are these low-drag fins opening too soon after being kicked off the MER racks?  Isn't there a near-one-second delay before the retard-fins deploy?  Or is that "issue" with the DCS bombs and beyond the control of Heatblur?  Or maybe the delivery speed of the aircraft is too high?  Or am I wrong and there is no issue?  I do appreciate seeing the pictures, though!  It's going to be cool!

Edited by Andrew8604
accidental multiple posts

1 hour ago, Andrew8604 said:

Assuming these pictures are sneak-peeks from in-game DCS of the HB F-4E in development, is there an "issue" illustrated in these two pictures?  The low drag bombs fall and retain the aircraft's speed pretty well...low drag.  However, the high drag bombs seem to be either extremely high drag or not falling under force of 1 G.  Also, are these low-drag fins opening too soon after being kicked off the MER racks?  Isn't there a near-one-second delay before the retard-fins deploy?  Or is that "issue" with the DCS bombs and beyond the control of Heatblur?  Or maybe the delivery speed of the aircraft is too high?  Or am I wrong and there is no issue?  I do appreciate seeing the pictures, though!  It's going to be cool!

The retarded bombs are not at all correct. They deploy their drag-arms too early and too slowly

That being said, it is a WIP, so...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

3 hours ago, ben_der said:

We can't control ED Munitions after they leave the Rail/Mer/Ter. So that would be something for ED to fix.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to make a video with some snake eyes dropping off an ED aircraft, like the F/A-18C and post it as a bug. I'm sure they'll get right on it. They always listen closely to my feedback.... 🤣🤣🤣

Hhhhhaaa yes, Happy New Year anyway 🙂

• Like 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

On 1/1/2024 at 8:25 AM, Captain Orso said:

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to make a video with some snake eyes dropping off an ED aircraft, like the F/A-18C and post it as a bug. I'm sure they'll get right on it. They always listen closely to my feedback.... 🤣🤣🤣

Hhhhhaaa yes, Happy New Year anyway 🙂

That video being slow motion, those fins snap out fast!  I was watching like:  ...and their goes the bomb and...WHOA!!  🤣  ED might as well dispense with the animation of the fins opening and just go instantly from stowed to deployed.  All they might have to do is add a half-second delay to fin deployment and make sure drag isn't changed from low to high until after deployment.  I realize "fin" may not be the correct term for those drag things.  They might also want to add just a bit of "kick" force vector away from the ejector rack, no?  Like on the MER and TER, the side bomb racks are angled near 45 degrees to left and right.  I think the ejector rack doesn't just drop the munition straight down (which would probably give it a slight rolling motion) but gives it a slight kick of force in line with the rack.  You can see the whole MER yaw left and right a bit in recoil as the side bombs release.  That would help separate them at release, too, for clean drag-fin deployment...and probably just a tad bit of dispersion at impact.  The bottom rack, of course, being straight down in reference to the aircraft's vertical axis.  I remember watching live Mk-82s, -83s and -84s released from A-4s, A-6s and A-7s at China Lake NWC in about 1980.  They all seemed to let off a small puff of smoke as they kicked of the racks, and an audible "pop" with a couple-second delay to reach my ears several thousand feet slant range away, on the ground...impact zone being a few miles or so away.  They don't seem to have airshows like that anymore!

• Like 1

The complaint is that currently the shovels pop out far too soon. Look at how far each bomb has fallen before the shovels pop out. The shovels are well clear of the aircraft.

Now look at how DCS does it

Edit: also the shovels in the Real-World™ pop out much quicker.

Edited by Captain Orso
  • Like 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

The complaint is that currently the shovels pop out far too soon. Look at how far each bomb has fallen before the shovels pop out. The shovels are well clear of the aircraft.

Now look at how DCS does it

Edit: also the shovels in the Real-World™ pop out much quicker.

You need publish them them here:

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/540-weapon-bugs/

The weapons funtionality, has on ED side, no 3rd Parties.

• Thanks 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

As a 6531 Marine Aviation Ordnanceman (USMC '80-'88) I have loaded my share of MK 82's equipped with snakeye fins.  There is a small steel band the holds the fins closed. A Brass arming wire runs thru a clasp on this band and to an arming solenoid on the bomb rack that is mounted on the MER/TER. This was to give the Aircrew the choice of dropping it retarded or unretarded. The ejector racks on the MER/TER released when a CAD (Cartridge Actuating Device) was fired, opening the hooks and extending  a piston (about 5") that  ejected the bomb away from the rack. The arming wire was not pulled out of the retention clasp until the bomb was 2 to 2.5 feet from the rack.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

36 minutes ago, Lobo LXII said:

As a 6531 Marine Aviation Ordnanceman (USMC '80-'88) I have loaded my share of MK 82's equipped with snakeye fins.  There is a small steel band the holds the fins closed. A Brass arming wire runs thru a clasp on this band and to an arming solenoid on the bomb rack that is mounted on the MER/TER. This was to give the Aircrew the choice of dropping it retarded or unretarded. The ejector racks on the MER/TER released when a CAD (Cartridge Actuating Device) was fired, opening the hooks and extending  a piston (about 5") that  ejected the bomb away from the rack. The arming wire was not pulled out of the retention clasp until the bomb was 2 to 2.5 feet from the rack.

I did the same job in the Air Force. We didn't use brass arming wire, it looked like steel to me but could have been something else. Funny how the Marines and the Air Force used different terms for the cartridges that went into the racks. We called them impulse cartridges and you guys called them Cartridge Actuating Devices. In the Air Force I was a 462X0 (the X was replaced by your skill level 3/5/7/9).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Elf1606688794 said:

Funny how the Marines and the Air Force used different terms for the cartridges that went into the racks. We called them impulse cartridges and you guys called them Cartridge Actuating Devices.

This little tidbit alone makes designing planes for the DOD a nightmare. Every branch calls the exact same thing something a little different then act like you are crazy for calling it something else. Some of the liaisons are pretty chill if you call something by another services name, others will get ticked off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo LXII said:

All too true. What I called Mk-76 practice bomb I believe you called BDU-33,lol

Exactly. One time we (a friend and I) found a BDU-33 minus the spotting charge in a dumpster, so we snagged it and used it as a boat anchor. 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elf1606688794 said:

Exactly. One time we (a friend and I) found a BDU-33 minus the spotting charge in a dumpster, so we snagged it and used it as a boat anchor. 🤣

How dare you sir, that would have made the perfect paper weight 😅

• Like 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler