Patch notes discussion thread 2022

BIGNEWY

As someone who has color blindness, I would retexture some colors in cockpits to make them easier for me to read/see. This required editing of the many cockpit script files. Now I cannot do that AND be allowed to fly on MP servers.

That also being said I understand how some of the files in there could have been used to 'cheat' but I seem to think, couldn't there have been another way to solve this. IE maybe grep all the files for certain strings that are associated with cheating and IC just those files as they tend not to be associated with custom cockpit textures, rather than the entire directory?

This truly saddens me that this happened and was part of the alure of being able to play DCS in the first place.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

I dont see that arrow in VR

The small arrow is at the LEFT from the counter at the top row (the header of the counter window). Actually there're two different windows: one for the counter and graph and the other with the detailed info (if you clicked CTRL+Break two times), both can be minimized.

Note however that that triangles can be clicked ONLY with DOT CURSOR in VR, and the blue cross will not switch to dot automatically if you hover it on the window.

So the easiest way is to switch to the menu (to stop the game), then the dot cursor can be used to collapse the counter, then go back to game.

Edited by St4rgun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

Help! Added a symbol at the bottom of the mission editor that looks like this... 6M+X.Xº. The X.X would be a value that changes according to the coordinates. Would that be the magnetic variation? It appears on top of the compass inside the F-10 map in Persian Gulf. Thank You!

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

3 hours ago, JSArcher said:

Click the arrow ▶️, it's actually smaller than the old one.

It's a real shame that clicking on that arrow doesn't show frame times.  Even in expanded mode, those graphs are not really helpful. Why not pt it in numbers like fpsVR, for example?

Also, the info screen - 2nd ctrl-break - is still bugged with 0.00Gb VRAM showing at all times.

• Like 4

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

8 hours ago, M1Combat said:

Well...  just because YOU don't use something in a clearly exploitative way (although...  this would give you a very small advantage...) doesn't mean others don't.  Try to look at the big picture eh?

Could you explain to me how does it give you an advantage over someone? As in real life, you can program your CMS programs using DTC and DCS doesn't give you the option to do that. The guy has a valid point - IC exact files which do make problems, not the whole folder, until ED implements a simple in game DTC.

• Like 1

So, some more testing this morning. Shadows to Flat, OFF or Default make zero difference to me. I’ve gone from 86FPS when looking straight out through the HUD in Hornet ready on the ramp Caucasus to 60 ish. No MODS other than Open composite and OXRTK. No other in game settings changed. And it is ALL CPU frametime. My CPU FT pre 2.8 in the same scenario was 9, it's now 16. Something is very, very wrong.

Specs are in my sig.

@BIGNEWY happy to provide more info if it helps track down the culprit.

Update: rolled back and performance is back to where it was

Edited by zildac
  • Like 5

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

10 minutes ago, ZZZZ said:

I was planning to spend around 1500-2000 bucks on new sim equipment, HOTAS, pedals and such in the near future. But looking how legit simmers get sticks thrown between their feet because of some PvP kids cheat changed my mind. I apparently can't thrust if i can still make use of that investment in a month or not. So i'll spend it on something reliable (not DCS related). Just to show consequences of such silly decisions.

For your "biG PicTUre eH?" Mr. clever: think everyone including you should be banned from entering stores because people steal. Not saying YOU steal, but... you know, the bad apples 🤡

Public places(airplanes for example) can have rules about what you allowed to carry and what you not. Similar, there is an option for server owners. They, not ED, can decide if players allowed to modify cockpit scripts.

Discussion would be more constructive if we knew exactly what changes are "illegal". Obviously, It is not about CMS programs, which I used to keep modified.

• Like 3

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

13 hours ago, sirrah said:

Wow! the new raindrops look amazing in VR!! Great job ED!

Finally you can now properly see drops washing down the canopy and also the view outside is much more blurred and jagged, like it is in real life during heavy rain.

(too bad the cripple my low-end-ish system, but it still looks great 😅)

The rain drop effect transition from stand still to high speed (during tak-off) does need some more attention though 😏. Right now, just before the rain effect fades away, it looks like little artifacts

The artifacts, to my eyes, if we're talking about the same thing, are correct, as your taxi/takeoff speed increases the big droplets tear into tiny ones which streak. Eventually you get fast enough they all get blown off, but before you get thin streaks and tiny droplets. This looks real to my ATPL eyes.

11 minutes ago, Elphaba said:

The artifacts, to my eyes, if we're talking about the same thing, are correct, as your taxi/takeoff speed increases the big droplets tear into tiny ones which streak. Eventually you get fast enough they all get blown off, but before you get thin streaks and tiny droplets. This looks real to my ATPL eyes.

Allright, I'll take from your ATPL experience that it looks realistic :thumbup:

I've never seen this sort of "stripey" droplet effect on my windscreen/visor when driving my car/bike in the rain. But (although I come close on my bike 😈) I probably never reached these kind of speeds (in the rain 😈)

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

9 minutes ago, ZZZZ said:

True, it's optional. Yet legit players will be locked from a lot of servers. Probably the most populated servers as they tend to also attract malicious people. They'll make use of this feature sooner or later.

This is only your assumption for the time being. Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, ZZZZ said:

ED is known for using the big hammer first, see locking/encrypting whole folders and single files and similar incidents in the past. Later stuff got softened when people started to riot over it. Dead sure there was a more granular solution in this case too but this one was the easy route.

To my mind, similar riot may happen at a particular server. I'm not so sure there is a more granular solution. Again, we do not know how exactly those cheats work. Lua scripts is a code, therefore we can write here virtually anything. May be something like infamous SQL-injection is possible. I think, there are better solutions but they require substantially more work. For example, ED could create a new environment for cockpit scripts, like it is done for export, mission, and hooks scripts.

• Like 1

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

When even a thing as basic as adjusting cockpit FOV requires script editing.. yeah..

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

16 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Not anymore, there's a slider now.

Yeah, for external fov.. not cockpit.

• Like 1

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

I spent a few hours yesterday testing performance and I'm seeing a 8-10 fps average framerate loss between 2.7.18 and 2.8.0 on the benchmark tracks I've run. This is on Windows 11 22H2 with latest updates running a 3090 @ 4k resolution. I also tried nvidia drivers 516.94 and 526.47 early on when I was trying to nail down the culprit. The performance hit is NOT related only to VR. I still get a heavy FPS hit in and around rain clouds as well.

I'm happy to provide benchmark results and tracks to help if needed.

• Like 3

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

22 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Cockpit, too. Check out Spudknocker's latest dogfighting video.

It resets as soon as you touch zoom function and it doesn´t save per plane so as good as useless.

EDIT:It doesn´t save at all.. just tested. 

Edited by Tenebrae Aeternae
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

I’ve tried submitting bug reports, with tracks and logs, but they usually go unanswered to be honest. And it’s not as if “2, ejecting” isn’t already a well known joke around these parts…

The last straw for me today has been Raven One. I’ve been trying to work through it for the last few weeks but it’s been mostly unplayable due to crashes (I’ve been very active providing bug reports and logs on the F14 AI bug issue), then just when that issue may be solved, the campaign is broken by triggers. It’s just frustrating to purchase a campaign, then wait for the next patch to actually play it, only to find that patch breaks it in a different way. 

I agree, your arguments are very valid.

"2 ejecting". 

10 hours ago, SomethingAncient said:

Anyone know why my PC had to restart? I didn't think DCS World ran at the kernel level and, quite frankly, I'd like to know what needed this to be done.

C++ redis update I think

Edited by Convexrook
  • Like 3

zprwsp-6.png

1 hour ago, Tenebrae Aeternae said:

It resets as soon as you touch zoom function and it doesn´t save per plane so as good as useless.

EDIT:It doesn´t save at all.. just tested. 

Write up a bug report, this doesn't sound like the way it should work. Wouldn't be the first feature that started out glitchy.

Anyway, my point was that the feature is there, even if it doesn't currently work right. Once fixed, this should be the correct way to change the cockpit FOV.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Write up a bug report, this doesn't sound like the way it should work. Wouldn't be the first feature that started out glitchy.

Anyway, my point was that the feature is there, even if it doesn't currently work right. Once fixed, this should be the correct way to change the cockpit FOV.

If ED doesn't know how a cockpit fov adjustment should work what hope there is? 🤪

I'm pretty sure it works as intended, it's just not meant to be a proper fov adjustment. It does say "current fov" in the setting description after all.

The resetting behaviour when you touch your zoom control was also present pre 2.8 - in 2.7 it was a LUA file edit but still reset like it does now upon touching zoom control.

No big deal though. Easy enough to get it back where it was. Question is - what is the correct FOV for each module so it replicates a real pilots perspective from each pit? - particulary the Harrier (asking for a friend!)

Edited by Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Probably redundant at this point, but I figured I'd just to the voices noting the VR issues. I've been running a super-simple mission all week (just the Caucasus with one wingman) while I learn the Apache and setup Voiceattack. It was running beautifully in VR (i7-7700k, RTX 3090, Rift S) until the update, but it's now a laggy, stuttering, micro-pause-filled, headache-inducing mess. Not fun.

• Like 3

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S