OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

8 minutes ago, Twwhitey said:

Interesting - did this "on-demand" capability of OXR/WMR motion reprojection change at some point?  I seem to recall months and months back (I took an extended break from DCS a while back) that I couldn't get MR in WMR to do this - it was always on (even in bland scenarios where I could easily maintain 90FPS).  Just curious but either way I see that it does indeed do this now so that's awesome thanks for the explanation!

It's always been like that. As edmuss mentioned, you need to have sufficient headroom at 60/90 for it to stay off. If too close to dropping frames, it will enable itself.

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

14 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Thanks @mbucchia I assumed always on worked like SteamVR all this time!

I would have as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had OpenXR setup as per guide on page 1, and all was working well. Then I installed Steam for another game. Now my DCS always launches in SteamVR and I cannot find where to switch it back to OpenXR. Reinstalling OpenXR Tools did nothing. It shows as active, latest preview On, and the Demo scene works. Sorry if this question was answered, too many pages.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

3 minutes ago, TAW_Impalor said:

I had OpenXR setup as per guide on page 1, and all was working well. Then I installed Steam for another game. Now my DCS always launches in SteamVR and I cannot find where to switch it back to OpenXR. Reinstalling OpenXR Tools did nothing. It shows as active, latest preview On, and the Demo scene works. Sorry if this question was answered, too many pages.

SteamVR may have become your default OpenXR runtime. When you start the WMR Portal is there a prompt at the top to reset the default runtime?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

SteamVR may have become your default OpenXR runtime. When you start the WMR Portal is there a prompt at the top to reset the default runtime?

Nope ((

image.png

Also, SteamVR shows WMR as OpenXR runtime

null

image.png

Edited by TAW_Impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

21 minutes ago, TAW_Impalor said:

Sounds like open composite needs switching back to openxr for DCS. Find where you saved the open composite files and reset the global switcher. Chances are if you've not opened the switcher app in a while it's probably got a whole bunch of updates to do.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

Sounds like open composite needs switching back to openxr for DCS. Find where you saved the open composite files and reset the global switcher. Chances are if you've not opened the switcher app in a while it's probably got a whole bunch of updates to do.

that was it! thanks!

• Like 2

I have been testing PG lately, and with Heat's goal of smooth ground motion, I went spelunking.  Motion Reprojection is most definitely the way to go.  I have been getting excellent results with these settings: WMR set to Best Visual Quality, 90hz, Openxr MR Always On, DCS MSAA x4, SSAA x2, and tune everything else for 30 or 45 fps.  No OpenXRTK features besides FPS counter enabled for this test.  My G2 is loving this setup.  I get a very, very solid 30 or 45 fps with my 3080Ti.

BTW, try this in VR: if you get shot down by a Mig-29, press F2 to find an active Mig, F4 to ride along, spin the camera until you are riding right on top of the Mig.  Best ride in town!

DCS Settings for VR.jpg

1 hour ago, freehand said:

mm interesting setting, for me I like visible range as high as possible so when I am circling an airbase I can see it when I am lost lol.

Yeah, the short View Distance is something to get used to.  It takes a big load off the sim.  Tweak this to your system; if you can go higher, do it.  Throw Foveated Rendering in from the OpenXRTK if your headset supports it.  Just flew the Lebanon Mach Loop at 50 ft with this setup.  Smooooth.

Edited by Glide
  • Like 1

I was wondering how to get my High Visib Range back, and I stumbled on to these settings; basically move Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing to the Nvidia Control Panel.  Seems to me the quality improves considerably with the same sharpness.

Settings for Nvidia AA and AF.jpg

Nvidia AA and AF.png

Edited by Glide
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomeye said:

I think the nvidia cp settings for antialising have no effect. Do you see it working with your above settings?

this

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

this comes up every few months, for the last few years... someone discovers a "big FPS improvement because of this" failing to realise they are not getting the anti-aliasing effect ... it hasn't changed any of the previous times, i view it as unlikely that it has changed this time.

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Let's give it a try. Many things change without notification...
As stated, this theory does the rounds every few months. These settimgs have zero impact on the VR experience. Any perceived improvement is placebo.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

17 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

this comes up every few months, for the last few years... someone discovers a "big FPS improvement because of this" failing to realise they are not getting the anti-aliasing effect ... it hasn't changed any of the previous times, i view it as unlikely that it has changed this time.

It's not even been a month.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dutchili said:

I tried Falcon BMS today and noticed that the 3D effect is much more pronounced, and less aliasing.

Could the 'distance between eyes' be the cause of the aliasing effect in DCS?
(btw:....DCS looks much better)

This is a separate question... and has nothing to do with this thread

On 1/2/2023 at 2:54 AM, Hive said:

Let's give it a try. Many things change without notification...

The fact that it works at all is intriguing.  BTW, I never said "more fps", I said improvement.  I find the colors better with AA and AF set in the NCP.  Try it, see if you like it.

EDIT: I see my testing may have been flawed that time.  Perhaps I was just turning off AA and AF.  Anyway, further testing shows that the least amount of AA possible is the best for sharpness in VR for the G2.  I have it set to MSAA x2.  And, the only setting that matters to me in the Nvidia control panel is Antialiasing Gama Correction OFF to get rid of that shiny halo around things.  Again, motion reprojection always on, and nothing from OpenXRTK required for this test.  That's as smooth as I can get it.

Edited by Glide

On 1/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, Glide said:

The fact that it works at all is intriguing.  BTW, I never said "more fps", I said improvement.  I find the colors better with AA and AF set in the NCP.  Try it, see if you like it.

EDIT: I see my testing may have been flawed that time.  Perhaps I was just turning off AA and AF.  Anyway, further testing shows that the least amount of AA possible is the best for sharpness in VR for the G2.  I have it set to MSAA x2.  And, the only setting that matters to me in the Nvidia control panel is Antialiasing Gama Correction OFF to get rid of that shiny halo around things.  Again, motion reprojection always on, and nothing from OpenXRTK required for this test.  That's as smooth as I can get it.

First, I don't know what's wrong with me... I'm still on Steam VR.

For me, DCS (maxed out for single player) in G2 had only 2 acceptable options:  1. Aniso x16 (in DCS setup), no AA, 200% res. (4472x4364) in SVR.  Mid to low FPS but smooth and... shimmers.  I know, in MP I'd probably have to stay on the ramp and watch the slide show as a spectator.  #2. Aniso x16 in DCS, 100% res. in SVR, AA x 8 in NCP. No super sampling. Looks sharp but shimmering is still there.

Yes, AA set in Nvidia panel always worked for me though I'm not sure how it combines with other types of enhancements. Aniso set in NCP never seemed to have any effect on DCS on my rig. I never had a chance to check how SGSS would work in DCS. I'd have to download NV Inspector to find out, I guess.

As far as MSAA... I love it on a pancake screen but I hate it in G2. It makes everything look too 'soft' or even blurry, in spite of MSAA mask set to 1, in DCS setup.

Currently, I'm on a new rig but the above setup still holds true... everything runs a lot faster though :grin:  .  Still, I'm looking forward to a new graphics engine. Hurry up ED! :bounce:

Edited by oldcrusty