George Not Firing

dresoccer4

George has a target lined up and lased, I told him to fire the missile, and he goes "ENGAGING!".... and then nothing happens. 

Anyone able to see why George is lying to me from the screenshot? 😛 

1-engaging.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4
  • Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Weapon Utility page, make sure the Laser is armed. That said; I've had this issue as well after changing a load out on instant action. I'm not sure if it is a bug or an error on my part.

Edited by Funkysak

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*

4 minutes ago, Funkysak said:

Weapon Utility page, make sure the Laser is armed. That said; I've had this issue as well after changing a load out on instant action. I'm not sure if it is a bug or an error on my part.

Laser arming is only done from the CPG seat. The pilot won't have that in their WPN UTIL page. If you're flying with George, he will do that automatically, and you can see that it's on in the screenshot because the "X" is over the crosshair, indicating active lasing.

• Like 1

I've noticed a couple of things causing this....

1) Weapon trigger guard not open

2) trigger not mapped properly. Try spacebar and see if it fires

3) For the Hellfire , is the box that appears  in IHADSS when the missile is set to launch solid or dashed. If dashed, you're not in constraints

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

@dresoccer4

I suspect it has something to do with auto-consent. Your George AI wheel text is green instead of yellow, which means you held the "UP" key of whatever you mapped the George navigation controls to which switches from manual consent for firing to full auto.

I've seen that George will get "stuck" in a zoomed position using TADS, and sometimes he can't see targets in that state. A workaround is to disengage using the George A.I. "DOWN" key to clear targeting and lasing, and start a fresh search using "UP".

I would also avoid auto-consent for now (green text) and keep it on manual (yellow text) and tell him to fire for every target with the consent keybind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, key_stroked said:

@dresoccer4

I suspect it has something to do with auto-consent. Your George AI wheel text is green instead of yellow, which means you held the "UP" key of whatever you mapped the George navigation controls to which switches from manual consent for firing to full auto.

I've seen that George will get "stuck" in a zoomed position using TADS, and sometimes he can't see targets in that state. A workaround is to disengage using the George A.I. "DOWN" key to clear targeting and lasing, and start a fresh search using "UP".

I would also avoid auto-consent for now (green text) and keep it on manual (yellow text) and tell him to fire for every target with the consent keybind.

so yeah I did manual consent first, and that's when George said "engaging" like he's saying in the screenshot. but that didn't work, so I changed to auto-consent to see if that worked, but it didn't. i just took the screenshot after trying to auto consent, but you can see him saying "engaging" in the upper-right of the screen after i gave manual consent. kind of back to back.

very odd. looks like some kinks to work out, especially if they have him say "engaging" but there's something out of constraints 

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

3 hours ago, jayst0r said:

I dont know i Dont see the little Box for Hellfire constraints. Not in your HMD nor in the TADS Vid feed. I suspect you are out of missles?

I think this is because the OP hasn't WAS'd Hellfires on his side, so he doesn't see the constraints box. Not sure if that should cause the CPG not to engage though.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

8 hours ago, jayst0r said:

I dont know i Dont see the little Box for Hellfire constraints. Not in your HMD nor in the TADS Vid feed. I suspect you are out of missles?

full set, beginning of mission

4 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

I think this is because the OP hasn't WAS'd Hellfires on his side, so he doesn't see the constraints box. Not sure if that should cause the CPG not to engage though.

yeah not sure if I can do that as PIC? but the box should be there at some point i think

• ED Team

It is best to attach a short track replay so we can take alook

with that said, are you in range, do you have good line of sight, and have you used the consent to fire to tell George to engage?

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

21 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

It is best to attach a short track replay so we can take alook

with that said, are you in range, do you have good line of sight, and have you used the consent to fire to tell George to engage?

thanks

I have also had this happen many times, where I had to give George more fire orders before he fired, even though he had a green ROE.

here also in a video of me to see from min 2,06.

He targets an Inafantery unit and does not shoot although he says Engaging and is also ready to fire... only after I manually repeated(min 2,26) the fire command he fired.

he fires the other shots independently

https://youtu.be/Sr-0pq4sG4s?t=125

Edited by Oradan1974
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

yeah not sure if I can do that as PIC? but the box should be there at some point i think

What I meant was, in the screenshot, your HMD indicates that you don't have missiles selected. In the bottom right it says which weapon you have selected. That would be why the constraints box isn't showing there.

But anyway, it shouldn't really stop George firing as he has them selected. I think it's because he's extremely sensitive to LOS issues at the moment. I just flew the Kodori Gambit mission and he wouldn't fire at an APC because its rear half was behind a barrier - I moved, then he fired.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

• ED Team
19 minutes ago, Oradan1974 said:

I have also had this happen many times, where I had to give George more fire orders before he fired, even though he had a green ROE.

here also in a video of me to see from min 2,06.

He targets an Inafantery unit and does not shoot although he says Engaging and is also ready to fire... only after I manually repeated(min 2,26) the fire command he fired.

he fires the other shots independently

https://youtu.be/Sr-0pq4sG4s?t=125

thanks for the video, its important to give george a stable platform for engaging, I think on this occasion he was just waiting for a stable shot. 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I agree. This is the exact reason why I like the consent to fire. When I’m ready, I tell George, especially when I’m attempting to fire from a hover or like in the video at a slow speed. Stability really helps in the success of a kill. Even with the gun I’ve noticed this. Reduce the oscillations and drifts and watch George really shine.

Edit: of course this will be a bit less of an issue when the auto flight modes become functional, but still learning to get really stable helps so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

i'll try and get a video of mine, but as you can see in the screenshot I'm at almost a perfect hover, so the platform was very stable. 

if I had to guess it may be a LoS issue. As you can see the target is indeed locked and lased, but at a steep angle and with obstacles around it. after this screenshot was taken I tried to pop-up to get a better angle but was shot down, thus re-emphasizing the need to stay very low with high attack angles. 

16 hours ago, Airwolf466 said:

I've noticed a couple of things causing this....

1) Weapon trigger guard not open

2) trigger not mapped properly. Try spacebar and see if it fires

3) For the Hellfire , is the box that appears  in IHADSS when the missile is set to launch solid or dashed. If dashed, you're not in constraints

The big box often does not appear for me when I have this issue and I am in pilot's seat.  It is as if George isn't doing something right with his controls.  I'll be within range, master arm on, trigger guard off--everything is correct, and he still won't fire, even when I am in stable, level flight, despite giving him consent over and over.  Sometimes even cycling master arm on and off won't even fix this.

Edited by Mr_Blastman

In LOBL George takes a minute to get setup, lase the target and only then will he fire when you grant consent. Easiest way to check if this has happened is to wait for the solid box on the IHADSS. Usually takes George about 10 - 15secs so be patient.

You can get him to fire faster by switching him into LOAL mode. This will skip past his pre-setup and lase phase. I also think when in LOAL mode he'll still fire when outside of max range, 8000ft (need to double check that...). I tend to always switch George into LOAL for faster refire.

Another quick tip, when a target is destroyed just hit George up to quickly select the next target if there's a few grouped in the general area. You don't need to deslave (George down) then reslave (George up) to move to the next target. That's said, if you're looking to target a new group I will then George down, George up as he seems to get tunnel vision (struggles to see new groups) if you just keep hitting up.

32 minutes ago, Kifter1983 said:

In LOBL George takes a minute to get setup, lase the target and only then will he fire when you grant consent. Easiest way to check if this has happened is to wait for the solid box on the IHADSS. Usually takes George about 10 - 15secs so be patient.

You can get him to fire faster by switching him into LOAL mode. This will skip past his pre-setup and lase phase. I also think when in LOAL mode he'll still fire when outside of max range, 8000ft (need to double check that...). I tend to always switch George into LOAL for faster refire.

Another quick tip, when a target is destroyed just hit George up to quickly select the next target if there's a few grouped in the general area. You don't need to deslave (George down) then reslave (George up) to move to the next target. That's said, if you're looking to target a new group I will then George down, George up as he seems to get tunnel vision (struggles to see new groups) if you just keep hitting up.

ill try some of these tips.

as for selecting the next target in a group, I do George down long to get the group list back up without having to de-slave.  

You don't make it easy. The screenshot is shrunk that one can almost not read anything, and the TADS page is cutoff at the bottom where the range is shown 🙄

If I'm reading the TSD on the left correctly, the grid size is 5.0M--five miles per grid. This would make the range at least 10 miles, which is outside the Hellfire's range.

From my experience, if the range is too long by a lot, George will say so, but I've had the same situation, where I though I was in range and George said "engaging" every time I hit [Consent], but refused to fire until I got closer, but never said that I wasn't in range. It was VERY frustrating, because the target was in an open field with nothing to interfere with the view and I was going crazy.

Unfortunately, by the time I slid into range and George finally got the shot off, the target had fired a wire guided missile, and guess which one hit first... 😑

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• ED Team

Please note we have some LOAL tweaks coming in the next patch 

thanks

I only ever seem to have George AI Issues on multiplayer servers, if I play my own basic missions he fires every time. Is there a chance that multiple use of the same laser codes are causing issues? (especially on servers with Drone JTAC constantly lasing 1688)

If I change the laser code via code option on the weapons page to say B would it change for George too? 

• ED Team

laser code changes when you change it, code and channel can be changed and george will continue. 

We have our first patch soon, hopefully those seeing issues will see improvement. 

thank you

• Like 1

It seems like George has problems firing at targets that have slight cover especially when it comes to buildings. I often find myself in situations where George simply refuses to shoot a missile at targets that are not standing in an open field. And it doesn't really matter if sp or mp. So when looking at the OP's picture you can see the target is behind or at least close to a building. So that matches exactly what I'm experiencing myself quite often.

Edited by Emme
  • Like 1

I had the same issues,, George would not fire after the patch,,, meanwhile if you are in a fight, being shot at, or getting older as the time ticks by..... I have to fly a lot more after yesterdays patch to see if was just that flight... but expected no issues, and it still didn't fire.. the Helo is wonderful, don't get me wrong, just wish George would pay attention...

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR