Corsair update

Gunfreak

12 minutes ago, GUFA said:

So is this the tease🤭

Man feel like I'm being edged😝

Yeah my brain says at least 6 months. My "heart" says. Its coming now.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I forgot about that video. After re-watching...

Wow, what a difference in the 3D model. Perhaps some of it I'm seeing is the new lighting.

The old one wasn't "bad" per se - perfectly fine for a shoot 'em up simulator.

Really appreciate the redo that M3 has done.

Can't wait to get my hands on this aircraft.

• Like 2

I like the "hurry up and wait" method in the USMC. 💀

• Like 2

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

On 6/3/2023 at 6:08 AM, MLGSwagPilot said:

They're really taking their time...

I think the plane is mostly done.  They only have the damage model to finish.  Also, I believe there is supposed to be an asset pack releasing with this and WW2 Marianas as this is the first Pacific Front plane we are getting for WW2.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PD919 said:

I think the plane is mostly done.  They only have the damage model to finish.  Also, I believe there is supposed to be an asset pack releasing with this and WW2 Marianas as this is the first Pacific Front plane we are getting for WW2.

ED has stated that the release of WW2 marinas does not depend or is coordinated with the Corsair.

But yes the damage modeling is the last part, and they've been doing it for about half a year

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 6:33 PM, -Rudel- said:

I like the "hurry up and wait" method in the USMC. 💀

TWO WEEKS! tm 😁

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 6/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, GUFA said:

So is this the tease🤭

No, the tease is what they've been doing with the Corsair since it was first announced in 2015.  Eight years of "almost ready."  

Now they are literally teasing about a tease....ridiculous.

Edited by billythebassman
  • Like 3

Just for you Billy

image.png

Edited by -Rudel-
  • Like 25

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

If it is actually close to be ready.  It would be nice with some full working vidoe. Give us a 20 minute video of cold start and takeoff and landing on a carrier. That is if it's actually close to done.

• Like 1

Btw, Vultures Row Aviation has been working in a F4U-1 restoration with the original R-2800-8 engine with the original supercharger, I think this would be the only F4U-1 in the world to run the original engine.

The original engine makes a unique sound due to the two stage supercharger, there is any chance that in the future we might get the sound from this plane into the DCS module?

You can hear the unique sc sound from 0:16:

https://www.facebook.com/100063481271820/videos/4764662333552379/?__so__=watchlist&__rv__=video_home_www_playlist_video_list

More info:
https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/vought-f4u-1-birdcage-corsair-restoration-update-october-2021.html

I guess it wasn't called the "Whispering Death" by chance. Not that unique, just a whistling like any other charger, but of course we want it 😁 .

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

While I greatly appreciate the update and transparency with the community, I was a bit disappointed to see pretty much the same news we got from the last update. All the photos and videos released in this update have already surfaced multiple times on the forums and I feel like this was just a reassurance they were polishing some stuff off, but I felt the same way last time we go a sitrep like this.  Asking for a release date is unrealistic but if you were only working on the damage model and some taxi behavior, a few teasers of the carrier with the corsair would have been nice. Not really complaining per say, but I got nothing out of the update that has not been said on the road map or in the forums already. 

Also, as a Mig-21 module owner, I greatly appreciate the call made to update and stay true to the module, but I would not want to see it take precedence over the Crusader.  Sounds like a ton of work is going into remodeling the textures and flight model.  I hate to hear the crusader being on the backburner for a second maybe even a third year in a row.  

This is not a bash session by any stretch. just hope some reprioritizing takes place and maybe some more flare on the next update, or better yet, a very loose time frame on when we can expect anything. 

• Like 4

Yep, maybe a little frustrating all the wait and all, but I'm sure they have their reasons, and internal affairs, issues, whatever it is is only their concern, not ours. I guess the small team keeps going on as best as they can but Corsair is not just Corsair, it's all the assets it comes with and that's a hell of a lot work for a small team on their own. Yorktown, Japanese ground assets, don't recall but maybe there were also sea assets, everything. Yes, there was already a delay not long ago and it was due to redoing all the 3D model, with regard to Corsair itself, now DM with all the internal detail we've seen previously I guess is something on the like, or more probably even more time consuming since it's not only the 3D DM model it's also all the damage possible and all. And assets DM, I'm not sure how that hinders them either.

In any case, even without being inside and knowing their internal stuff, I see Corsair is a really big project, not just the aeroplane module itself, and that kind of big goals for small teams take time, lots of time. I'm sure, and hope, it'll be worth the while if they have being taking that much care in details as we've already seen.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

1 hour ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I guess it wasn't called the "Whispering Death" by chance. Not that unique, just a whistling like any other charger, but of course we want it

Yes, not that unique but ''modern'' R-2800s used in restorations only have the single stage sc and do not produce this sound. That is what I was trying to refer to 😀
There is also a F4U-5 that still runs the original engine and what a sound!

This engine is a bit more special, the second stage consists of a variable speed mirror sc:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.jpeg

P&W R-2800

unknown.png

Edited by Metrallaroja

6 hours ago, Metrallaroja said:

Nice! 
Great detail, I did not know that michelin did the tyres for the F4U-1. I expected Goodyear to be the tyre manufacturer, maybe this is just in early F4U-1s?

Any history behind that?

So off DCS topic but interesting story; a few years ago, pre-virus, my best friend (retired Green Beret) was diving in Saipan with U.S. Joint POW-MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) documenting wreckages and searching for US personal.  He dove on a  great amount of Japanese planes but finally he radio up to the surface that he found US wreckage.  Topside doubted him and asked for confirmation.  His response "I'm staring at the white letters on the tires that spell GOODYEAR"... topside responded "Copy we will take that as confirmation"... I know a lot more about that wreckage than I can share on open channels but thought you would like that little snippet of the story.

Edited by Rodeo
my head is in my backside today and I can't type correctly
  • Like 5

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

4 hours ago, Metrallaroja said:

Yes, not that unique but ''modern'' R-2800s used in restorations only have the single stage sc and do not produce this sound. That is what I was trying to refer to 😀
There is also a F4U-5 that still runs the original engine and what a sound!

Yeah, I got you. It's like P-47s not having a working turbocharger, Sea Furys not even wearing a Centaurus but an R-2800 instead, P-51s not running max. manifold almost ever, or most warbirds for the sake of conservation. But that whistling should be present since it's a distinct Corsair's feature, that's for sure. I believe M3 said something about it time ago, perhaps they were recording sounds and they told that distinct whistling sound will be there. Hope so, of course.

• Like 1

Set of screenies.

• Like 7

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

A couple of extra notes if I may ;).

1) @Ala13_ManOWar a bit of an accidental typo here maybe? "Whispering death" moniker applied to Bristol Beaufighter (which I'd love to see made to DCS standards by the way!). Corsair was indeed the "whistling" one, which in all versions before -4 was related more to the air going through wing radiators at high speeds rather than by supercharger. Thus the sound can be heard on videos of various restored Corsairs if only they fly by fast enough, no matter the engine variant;

2) Any Double Wasps apart from very rare variants like -18, 30, 32 W had all-mechanical drive for their internal supercharging stages, so I'd say this awesome birdcage mentioned above isn't really going to sound any different than other -1s flying during airshows. Even if they had proper, original engines fitted, we wouldn't hear their extra stages kicking in is because outside of ground tests these would not be used in typical low altitude airshow flights. The birdcage probably won't use it often at airshows either. Kudos to owner and restorers, however, for sticking to factory spec! It's going to be a great and rare plane to see in the sky again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

4 minutes ago, Art-J said:

A couple of extra notes if I may ;).

1) @Ala13_ManOWar a bit of an accidental typo here maybe? "Whispering death" moniker applied to Bristol Beaufighter (which I'd love to see made to DCS standards by the way!). Corsair was indeed the "whistling" one, which in all versions before -4 was related more to the air going through wing radiators at high speeds rather than by supercharger. Thus the sound can be heard on videos of various restored Corsairs if only they fly by fast enough, no matter the engine variant;

Yeah, more of a "brain typo" since I'm no English native and probably mixed at some point the whisper with the whistle 🤣 . Quite interesting to know about the radiators. Thanks for the quote :thumbup: .