Alt-Enter does not work anymore since 2.7.18.30348 update

Lange_666

Since the latest update (OB 2.7.18.30348) Alt-Enter doesn't work anymore for switching between windowed and full screen mode.

Also:

• Like 6

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Apart from the VR-mirror problem, it seems to me that it actually works better now.

There are no FPS penalties anymore for being windowed and when deactivating the fullscreen option in game you can switch to another task (on a second monitor for example) without DCS minimizing. Want go back to fullscreen, simply click into the DCS windows.

Now DCS pretty much operates like any other game. To me it seems fixed if anything. 

Edit: Regarding the title. Alt-Enter doesn’t work anymore, because you now are in real Fullscreen by default. You can now Alt-tab out of DCS either with it minimizing (fullscreen option) or with it getting windowed (borderless).

Edited by Hiob
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

29 minutes ago, Hiob said:

There are no FPS penalties anymore for being windowed

This may be, but I've got some significant terrain stuttering that seems more pronounced (which was greatly alleviated with the AltEnter option)... maybe it's just placebo?

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Guys it IS fullscreen by default now.

6 minutes ago, audiodistortion said:

fullscreen has always been smoother for me.

Yes, for everybody.

But it is Fullscreen now.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

27 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Guys it IS fullscreen by default now.

Yes, for everybody.

I'm not sure about that. Simple test: When I was in full screen in the past, if I played with the system volume, the volume slider was hidden/could not be seen...when it was windowed, it could, right up in the top left corner of the screen. Now, you can always see the volume slider at top left when I play with it...this was always my little test to see if I'd Alt-entered yet.

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

8 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

I'm not sure about that. Simple test: When I was in full screen in the past, if I played with the system volume, the volume slider was hidden/could not be seen...when it was windowed, it could, right up in the top left corner of the screen. Now, you can always see the volume slider at top left when I play with it...this was always my little test to see if I'd Alt-entered yet.

Here‘s a better test: Put g-sync in fullscreen-only mode and activate the g-sync active overlay.

Also, the fps performance is the same as formerly in fullscreen.

Edited by Hiob

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Really? Then why is this Full Screen as you name it different from the way it was before the 2.7 series bugged it?
And why is it now so called Full Screen when the Full Screen option is not ticked?
And why does it behave differently then before?

Stating that Full Screen now works as in all other games is wrong because on none of the games i have currently installed full screen behaves like it does now in DCS (IL-2, XPlane-11 and Elite Dangerous).

And then i don't want to bring the 2nd monitor problem up...

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

12 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Really? Then why is this Full Screen as you name it different from the way it was before the 2.7 series bugged it?
And why is it now so called Full Screen when the Full Screen option is not ticked?
And why does it behave differently then before?

Stating that Full Screen now works as in all other games is wrong because on none of the games i have currently installed full screen behaves like it does now in DCS (IL-2, XPlane-11 and Elite Dangerous).

And then i don't want to bring the 2nd monitor problem up...

Before, DCS didn’t reliable enter fullscreen, regardless if the option was ticked or not. The only way was to force it into fullscreen with alt+enter. (and there was a very obvious fps penalty when it wasn’t in exclusive fullscreen but only a borderless window)

Now the behavior is, from what I was able to figure from testing, that when you tick „fullscreen“ and alt+tab out of it, it minimizes to the taskbar, whereas when you untick the option it converts into a borderless window and stays up. Regardless, as soon as you click into it (or maximize again) it is in exclusive fullscreen again.

From experiences in the past with tons of benchmarking, the g-sync indicator is a reliable indicator wether you are in fullscreen or not. Also the fps suggests the same.

This is where I draw my conclusions from. I can’t see the code obviously.

I see the problem with the VR-mirror, and I‘m not commenting on that in any way. But for 2D I can’t see any problem. The need for alt-enter is simply gone.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Hiob said:

Here‘s a better test: Put g-sync in fullscreen-only mode and activate the g-sync active overlay.

Also, the fps performance is the same as formerly in fullscreen.

Why is that a better test? How is an application running full screen when the volume function overlays on top of said full screen? As far as the G-sync indicator, I see nothing functionally different - the indicator was always there, for me.

Edited by Livers
Additional info.

Just now, Livers said:

Why is that a better test? How is an application running full screen when the volume function overlays on top of said full screen?

Because it's an "overlay"....

Whenever I adjust the volume on my headphones I get an overlay from windows, regardless what is on the screen. It's a funktion of the operating system. That has nothing to do with the application running in the foreground.

+1

MIss the ALT+Enter (VR user) and it´s very useful.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• ED Team

In VR you can set " use dcs resolution" in the VR tab and set your dcs resolution to the desktop resolution and tick full screen. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Because it's an "overlay"....

Whenever I adjust the volume on my headphones I get an overlay from windows, regardless what is on the screen. It's a funktion of the operating system. That has nothing to do with the application running in the foreground.

And that is the difference we are talking about. What changed, Windows or DCS?

1 hour ago, Livers said:

And that is the difference we are talking about. What changed, Windows or DCS?

What I'm trying to tell you is, that your volume overlay thing has nothing to do with fullscreen or not in the first place. TF do I know (or care) what is going on there. But it is NOT a reliable indicator wether an application is running in fullscreen or not.

19 hours ago, Hiob said:

What I'm trying to tell you is, that your volume overlay thing has nothing to do with fullscreen or not in the first place. TF do I know (or care) what is going on there. But it is NOT a reliable indicator wether an application is running in fullscreen or not.

It is for me 🤔, have they acknowledged it's a bug yet?

Have gone back to 2.7.17.29493 Open Beta, ALT-ENTER fullscreen is working fine. So please fix it / change it back.

Edited by audiodistortion
  • Like 5

On 9/28/2022 at 12:07 PM, WillisRz8 said:

I really hope they will fix it, its just not smooth at all, tried gsync vsync whatever sync, its soo grindy, ground level with lower fps head starts to hurt 😞 

Are you talking about VR or Pancake? It is really weird, because I don't experience any problems at all. I get the exact same fps I always did in Fullscreen.

Maybe try to change some Graphics-/Fullscreen related settings in windows. Hardware-GPU-Scheduling and Fullscreen optimization comes to my mind. Somewhere in the forum somebody reported fps problems with the latest Nvidia-Drivers as well.

Edit:

In another Thread, somebody solved his issue (performance-issue) by disabling fullscreen-optimization for dcs (right click on DCD task icon while running). Since this has been an optimization tip for a long time, mine was already set so. Perhaps worth a try for those, who haven't done this before.

Edited by Hiob

On 9/28/2022 at 12:39 PM, Hiob said:

Edit:

In another Thread, somebody solved his issue (performance-issue) by disabling fullscreen-optimization for dcs (right click on DCD task icon while running). Since this has been an optimization tip for a long time, mine was already set so. Perhaps worth a try for those, who haven't done this before.

The issue is I can't use G-Sync anymore since the game is not in fullscreen but windowed fullscreen, this cause G-Sync to not work aswell as disabling some windows optimisation that help a lot on my side FPS wise (I'm running a 5600X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 with a M34WQ Screen)

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

1 hour ago, Loukuins said:

The issue is I can't use G-Sync anymore since the game is not in fullscreen but windowed fullscreen, this cause G-Sync to not work aswell as disabling some windows optimisation that help a lot on my side FPS wise (I'm running a 5600X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 with a M34WQ Screen)

Then try this NVIDIA G-Sync setting: "Fullscreen and Windowed".

( source: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=7737#p59601 )

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.