Alt-Enter does not work anymore since 2.7.18.30348 update

Lange_666

More possible evidence that "Full Screen" is not actually full screen any more: When Ctrl+Alt+Deleting before the recent update, it wouldn't go immediately to the task manager unless I exited Full Screen (with an alt+enter press to exit). Now, Ctrl+Alt+Deleting immediately takes me to the task manager... which is convenient, but I'm now quite a terrain-stutter-fest still without the alt-enter option... 😞

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

On 9/30/2022 at 12:21 AM, wilbur81 said:

Now, Ctrl+Alt+Deleting immediately takes me to the task manager...

That's wrong. It should take you to the action select page, where the task manager is the last option. Direct task manager short is Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

28 minutes ago, draconus said:

That's wrong. It should take you to the action select page, where the task manager is the last option. Direct task manager short is Esc+Shift+Ctrl.

slightly out of order

https://www.cnet.com/culture/use-ctrl-shift-esc-for-quick-access-to-the-task-manager/

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Either one is a basic windows shortcut though, that could but shouldn't be restricted by an application. Them now working in DCS is not a sign of something wrong, but a sign of something right. People need to stop referencing what they are used too as "right/correct" and any change that may not work for them immedietly as "failure".

Again, when some people say DCS would not display in fullscreen for them, I believe them. But I'm experiencing something different. For me it behaves perfectly fine and displays in true Fullscreen and reacts to basic windows commands as expected.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

But then there is one more thing:

Why does a "full screen" when ticked inside DCS minimizes when you click on a second monitor (desktop there or another open window). It's just annoying that when full screen is ticked in DCS, you're in the middle of a flight, forgot something on how stuff worked and oh... let me look it up and and display it on my second monitor (that's what they are fore right, 2nd monitors) and bang DCS minimizes. Dang... you bring it up again to check something and need to scroll a bit in your info/text/manual on your 2nd monitor to compare and bang, the moment you click the mouse, your nice DCS game on your main monitor is gone. I call that a step back, a BIG one. 
The only option is going windowed, either a true window or a borderless one (which is not really full screen as we knew it). If that is the way to go to avoid the above problem (which didn't exist prior to 2.7) then why is the option Full Screen still there? It's useless then.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

4 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

But then there is one more thing:

Why does a "full screen" when ticked inside DCS minimizes when you click on a second monitor (desktop there or another open window). It's just annoying that when full screen is ticked in DCS, you're in the middle of a flight, forgot something on how stuff worked and oh... let me look it up and and display it on my second monitor (that's what they are fore right, 2nd monitors) and bang DCS minimizes. Dang... you bring it up again to check something and need to scroll a bit in your info/text/manual on your 2nd monitor to compare and bang, the moment you click the mouse, your nice DCS game on your main monitor is gone. I call that a step back, a BIG one. 
The only option is going windowed, either a true window or a borderless one (which is not really full screen as we knew it). If that is the way to go to avoid the above problem (which didn't exist prior to 2.7) then why is the option Full Screen still there? It's useless then.

Untick it. It will nevertheless be in fullscreen when active, but won't minimize when you click one another task (on a different monitor or not).

It makes sense in some way. When forced fullscreen - it won't enter a windowed mode. So it only can minimize when another task is selected. Working with multiple Moitors was always a bit quirky in windows from time to time.

For me it is the same. When fullscreen is ticked and I alt+tab or click on the second monitor, DCS will minimize to task bar. When unticked it will stay upfront as a window until I click on it again.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, draconus said:

That's wrong. It should take you to the action select page, where the task manager is the last option. Direct task manager short is Esc+Shift+Ctrl.

What I meant was this: previously (when using Alt-Enter in DCS) Ctrl+Alt+Del would not exit DCS at all...the screen would go black for a split second, and I'd then still be in the cockpit. Now, it goes right to the action select page. Point being: I have a lower end machine by many standards and I needed the Alt-Enter option and would love, like some others, to have it back.

That is not the problem. What you need is true Fullscreen and not alt+enter. They disregarded alt+enter, because DCS is supposed to work in fullscreen without issues now (and in windowed for that matter). Which it does, but not for all - like you.

What needs to be figured out is, why it doesn't work for some people. Simply reverting back to an earlier, differently but equally flawed, status is NOT a solution.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Flappie said:

Then try this NVIDIA G-Sync setting: "Fullscreen and Windowed".

( source: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=7737#p59601 )

Wow I didn't knew that Nvidia Inspector do support applying G-Sync per game, Will do while waiting for the return of the ALT ENTER !

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

What needs to be figured out is, why it doesn't work for some people.

Indeed... and it is probably only a problem for people like me because I have a meagre 1070 GTX card. People with high powered GPUs aren't going to notice the problem, and thus say, "all is good."

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

Indeed... and it is probably only a problem for people like me because I have a meagre 1070 GTX card. People with high powered GPUs aren't going to notice the problem, and thus say, "all is good."

No, if I had lost a single fps I wouldn't be happy either. But I haven't. Quite the opposite.

And I haven't said "all is good". I'm just more interested in finding the root core of the problem, instead of simply turning it back as it was. And the reason is pretty simple - it works better now.

Edited by Hiob

10 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

what i meant is one has to press ctrl+shift then esc. esc+shift+ctrl does not do work.

I meant Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Ctrl+Alt+Del (and any other of those basic windows commands, like win+d) 🤗

• Like 1

This isn’t the first time this has happened and get the feeling ED are for whatever reason slowly weening is off the full screen function. For me I notice the difference but think it may be more of a trackir thing as in it’s a lot smoother when in full screen as opposed to windows mode, actual fps is negligible.

I like others have mentioned here also use the volume osd to confirm what mode the game is running in - c’mon ED give us a quick fix please, it really does make a difference for some of us, thanks

• Like 2

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

it may be more of a trackir thing as in it’s a lot smoother when in full screen as opposed to windows mode, actual fps is negligible.

You might be on to something there. My FPS aren't measurably worse with this new OB situation, but stuttering certainly is and I'm a TrackIR guy as well.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:27 PM, Hiob said:

I meant Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Ctrl+Alt+Del (and any other of those basic windows commands, like win+d) 🤗

i was talking about @draconus first comment on it. i tried it that order and realized it did not work. honestly in all my years of IT i had never used the direct keys. i have used CTRL+ALT+End in a remote desktop many times.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:52 AM, draconus said:

i only mention it because i tried the out of order keys and it did nothing. i was thinking of the users that may not have a lot of windows experience.

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

8 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i only mention it because i tried the out of order keys and it did nothing. i was thinking of the users that may not have a lot of windows experience.

You're right and I edited the post.

I frequently use this shortcut first pushing Ctrl and Shift of course so I had no idea someone would try to do this some other way.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

You're right and I edited the post.

I frequently use this shortcut first pushing Ctrl and Shift of course so I had no idea someone would try to do this some other way.

haha i resemble that remark. i tried for a couple minutes and i have been in IT since 1989 😛

• Like 1

12 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i tried for a couple minutes and i have been in IT since 1989

Doesn't matter - it was added in XP times.

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2022 at 1:46 PM, BIGNEWY said:

In VR you can set " use dcs resolution" in the VR tab and set your dcs resolution to the desktop resolution and tick full screen. 

As in the resolution in dcs settings menu?

I’m interested to try this I didn’t realise about this.

But I thought it just defaulted back to your VR resolution whatever you select in settings? 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV