F-111 Pig (Aardvark), can it be the next HB project ?

Raviar

I wish I wish....there is only a whole thread about it here, but unfortunately I really, really doubt it: 

The are already making the F4, the Eurofighter and their next module after that will definitely be the Tadpole. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

F-111, particularly the F and C, also has commonality with the DMAS/ARN-101 F-4E Heatblur are working on as well. They both use the PAVE Tack and GBU-15

• Like 4

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

• 1 month later...

Yes please.... this thing is awesome.

• Like 1

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

Do I want an F-111? Hell yes. Do I want a Flanker? Hell yes.

But, let's get real folks, Heatblur already has a lot of work to go through first. A-6 seems to be off in a distant future, we are waiting for the F-4E, which will later have a second version, and then there will be the Naval F-4s module, Eurofighter, finishing touches on the Tomcat and Viggen etc.

• Like 4

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

11 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Hope not. Heatblur need to do a full fidelity Flanker

Nobody can legally get the information required to do modern Redfor jets, especially the Flanker.  ED almost got to do a MiG-29 9.12, but that fell through recently.  You know, the original Fulcrum?  Russia doesn't just hand this stuff out you know. 

As for what Heatblur should do?  They should release the F-4E(when it's ready of course), get the Viggen and Tomcat out of EA, and then finish the rest of their announced modules: the Eurofighter, A-6 Intruder, and the Naval F-4.  Then we can discuss what comes next. 

The F-111, assuming they can get the data for it, makes perfect sense given Heatblur's current and future lineup of two-seat American aircraft and with Jester 2.0, I expect we'll see plenty more two-seaters from them in the future.

• Like 6

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Nobody can legally get the information required to do modern Redfor jets, especially the Flanker.  ED almost got to do a MiG-29 9.12, but that fell through recently.  You know, the original Fulcrum?  Russia doesn't just hand this stuff out you know. 
As for what Heatblur should do?  They should release the F-4E(when it's ready of course), get the Viggen and Tomcat out of EA, and then finish the rest of their announced modules: the Eurofighter, A-6 Intruder, and the Naval F-4.  Then we can discuss what comes next. 
The F-111, assuming they can get the data for it, makes perfect sense given Heatblur's current and future lineup of two-seat American aircraft and with Jester 2.0, I expect we'll see plenty more two-seaters from them in the future.
I don't see why not, the Fulcrum and Flanker are widely exported, so there should be ways to get documents from countries besides Russia. Heatblur is doing a German F-4, wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think they could get documents on a German MiG-29 as well. The MiG-21 is done, the MiG-23 is coming, so it is possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

I don't see why not...

Strange, right? Everybody wants modern redfor aircraft for DCS, devs including, they're widely exported, docs lying on the streets and yet we don't have one... or maybe it's not so easy as you thought 🤔

• Like 4

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

I don't see why not, the Fulcrum and Flanker are widely exported, so there should be ways to get documents from countries besides Russia. Heatblur is doing a German F-4, wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think they could get documents on a German MiG-29 as well. The MiG-21 is done, the MiG-23 is coming, so it is possible.

Yeah and I am pretty sure ED a company with loads of Russian developers would be more than happy to break Russian laws regarding state secrets or whatnot. They said many times that modern redfor planes are problematic but I guess its never enough. Dont forget to ask why why dont have F-14D too

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Heatblur is doing a German F-4

No they are not.

26 minutes ago, felixx75 said:

Do they not building a F-4E, not a -F (unless I'm wrong about that) 😉

Correct, they scanned an F-4F because they had one at a museum close to them and it's really similar to the F-4E with all that's missing being the rear fuselage tank iirc.  They are doing an F-4E with the DSCG package and an F-4E with the DMAS package and have yet to announce which specific naval variant they are doing.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, felixx75 said:

I would love to get a F-111 in DCS 🤩

Me too. That and the Intruder would be my dream-modules.

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...

Just because a country bought an exported version of an Aircraft doesn't suddenly give that country the legal right to authorise the use of that aircraft or any of its systems, thinking like that is pure craziness, you realise of course when you buy military hardware it comes with terms and conditions, and the rights to the equipment and technical IP's are always owned by the manufacturers and not the users ?  Using the logic displayed here , I once owned a BMW, therefore I can sell the rights to use that BMW in any games I decide to sell the licence to.......

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

F-111 makes sense. It was phased out after USSR collapsed so it should be declassified with documentation available.

HB will have experience modeling variable-sweep wings flight model and TF-30 engines for F-14 Tomcat, side by side cockpit interaction, FLIR turret and terrain following radar for A-6 Intruder, 1970s/80s USAF A/G weapon inventory for F-4 Phantom.

Edited by bies
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I'd rather have a Su-24 since it's similar-ish in scope and mission but it's redfor; granted that's probably a long shot for al the reasons mentioned above. F-111 seems like the move and would fill a void in DCS gameplay, especially in multiplayer. Plus Heatblur already has multicrew, swing wings, the TF30 and ground radar pretty well polished by this point. Heatblur pls gib 😢

• Like 2

I dont wanna be 'that' contrarian guy, but I genuinely wonder:

How much interest would there really be for an F-111? From what Ive read, it seems like a rather flawed aircraft. Forwardthinking, but unreliable, and the wing-sweep didnt add nearly as much versatility as it did to the F-14. Using TF-30 engines apparently was one of the biggest issues of the early 14.

It also feels to me like it wouldnt add much capability as a twin seat bomb truck, compared to the F-4E? Its mostly unguided weapons, and the F-4s seems to have capable enough navigation and bombing computers, especially in the DMAS.

Or am I mistaken, and just underestimate the Aardvark, is there something to be excited about beside the historic significance? 

On 4/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, Temetre said:

Or am I mistaken, and just underestimate the Aardvark, is there something to be excited about beside the historic significance? 

You are mistaken. The TF30 was unreliable at the start of it's service life, mostly because it was used interim engine in the F14 which is a fighter/interceptor and not a low flying interdictor/bomber. 

As for the rest of your concerns, you can read up about the F-111 in the thread I posted above but I'll leave just one snippet here: 

Ok here is just one example I dug up from the 1972-73 campaign over Vietnam which reflects on the F-111A service record in that time period: "By the end of hostilities the 474th TFW had chalked up well over 4000 missions, dropping 74,000 bombs, mainly 500 lb but also 2000 lb and cluster munitions. Eight aircraft were lost (seven crews), mainly in the initial phases of the deployment, resulting in an overall loss rate of 0.2%. A typical mission would involve a low level high subsonic run in with a payload of twelve 500 lb bombs, the whole mission lasting 2.5 hours and flown in pitch black darkness. Significantly all missions were flown without the support of tankers, ECM platforms, Wild Weasel SAM suppression aircraft and fighter cover. Each F-111A could carry twice the payload of an F-4 Phantom over 2.5 times the range and the USAF acknowledged the aircraft as being the most cost effective employed throughout the conflict."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 4/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, Temetre said:

Dump and burn? 🔥

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Lurker:

You are mistaken. The TF30 was unreliable at the start of it's service life, mostly because it was used interim engine in the F14 which is a fighter/interceptor and not a low flying interdictor/bomber. 

As for the rest of your concerns, you can read up about the F-111 in the thread I posted above but I'll leave just one snippet here: 

Ok here is just one example I dug up from the 1972-73 campaign over Vietnam which reflects on the F-111A service record in that time period: "By the end of hostilities the 474th TFW had chalked up well over 4000 missions, dropping 74,000 bombs, mainly 500 lb but also 2000 lb and cluster munitions. Eight aircraft were lost (seven crews), mainly in the initial phases of the deployment, resulting in an overall loss rate of 0.2%. A typical mission would involve a low level high subsonic run in with a payload of twelve 500 lb bombs, the whole mission lasting 2.5 hours and flown in pitch black darkness. Significantly all missions were flown without the support of tankers, ECM platforms, Wild Weasel SAM suppression aircraft and fighter cover. Each F-111A could carry twice the payload of an F-4 Phantom over 2.5 times the range and the USAF acknowledged the aircraft as being the most cost effective employed throughout the conflict."

Okay fair on that then, I wasnt aware that an F-111 had that much more range and payload, and was considered that effective. Sounds like its a way bigger aircraft than I thought. Makes me wonder if I confused the F-111 with a different aircraft, or the problems were specific to fighter or naval variant.

That actually sounds pretty fun, like an earlier Tornado or Viggen on steroids. Only thing that looks like a limitation is the lack of A2A missiles, not even sidewinders.

Edited by Temetre