DCS: Mosquito FB VI livery competition

BIGNEWY

No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force / Generic RAF 2TAF, Day Fighter Camouflage

ED User Files Download Page

MossieDF2.jpg

MossieDF3.jpg

MossieDF1.jpg

1368699-large.jpg

A paint scheme based on a Mosquito of No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force, with the less common 'Day Fighter' camouflage scheme with ocean grey upper paint; can also be used as any other 2TAF Mosquito FB.VI Squadron as it has adjustable squadron / aircraft codes and serial numbers.

Edited by MJDixon
  • Like 9

No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force / Generic RAF 2TAF, Day Fighter Camouflage, June 1944

MossieDFJune3.jpg

MossieDFJune1.jpg
A version of my previous 613 Squadron 'Day Fighter' skin with roughly painted full invasion stripes for use in June 1944, it can also be used as any other 2TAF Mosquito FB.VI Squadron as it has adjustable squadron / aircraft codes and serial numbers.

To hide the squadron code under the invasion stripes type -- in the code where the squadron codes would otherwise be, for example SYFMM408 would be --FMM408.

• Like 4

No. 613 Squadron (City of Manchester), Auxiliary Air Force / Generic RAF 2TAF, Day Fighter Camouflage, July 1944

MossieDFJuly1.jpg

MossieDFJuly4.jpg

A version of my previous 613 Squadron 'Day Fighter' skin with roughly painted invasion stripes on the underside of the aircraft for use in July 1944 onwards, it can also be used as any other 2TAF Mosquito FB.VI Squadron as it has adjustable squadron / aircraft codes and serial numbers.

Includes versions with both a fully visible squadron code, and one with a custom bort where the bottom half of the squadron code is obscured by the invasion stripes, as was often the case, I've also upgraded the July version of my standard Mosquito camo skin with the same feature.

• Like 3

I'm almost done with "Popeye" but I'm trying to find plausible letter codes for it. I've looked but there seems to be numerous letter codes for No. 27 Squadron. What about "A" flight? What I've seen is that "A" would be one of the first 13 letters of the alphabet... (or the first third if there were more than 2 flights... not likely for No. 27 in India though) but which one? How would the letters be arranged?

Anyone have pics of any Squadron No. 27 in India? 

Here's the caption for the photo:

"Flight_Lieutenant_A_Torrance_of_'A'_Flight,_No._27_Squadron_RAF,_climbs_into_his_de_Havilland_Mosquito_FB_VI_at_Parashuram,_India,_for_a_sortie_over_Burma,_March_1944."

Flight_Lieutenant_A_Torrance_of_'A'_Flight,_No._27_Squadron_RAF,_climbs_into_his_de_Havilland_Mosquito_FB_VI_at_Parashuram,_India,_for_a_sortie_over_Burma,_March_1944._CF117.jpg

3 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm almost done with "Popeye" but I'm trying to find plausible letter codes for it. I've looked but there seems to be numerous letter codes for No. 27 Squadron. What about "A" flight? What I've seen is that "A" would be one of the first 13 letters of the alphabet... (or the first third if there were more than 2 flights... not likely for No. 27 in India though) but which one? How would the letters be arranged?

Anyone have pics of any Squadron No. 27 in India? 

Here's the caption for the photo:

"Flight_Lieutenant_A_Torrance_of_'A'_Flight,_No._27_Squadron_RAF,_climbs_into_his_de_Havilland_Mosquito_FB_VI_at_'Parashuram,_India,_for_a_sortie_over_Burma,_March_1944."

Flight_Lieutenant_A_Torrance_of_'A'_Flight,_No._27_Squadron_RAF,_climbs_into_his_de_Havilland_Mosquito_FB_VI_at_Parashuram,_India,_for_a_sortie_over_Burma,_March_1944._CF117.jpg

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a52.htm

have a look through here

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

@Helles Belle Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. 

I got this from @BusDriver over at the IL2 forums:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/83276-raf-mossie-letter-codes/#comment-1259150

For this skin, I'm going to leave the code letters off. I'll probably issue another with Bort letters enabled.

The sim community is so great! Always someone willing to assist. 

Salute!

• Thanks 1

OK, stick a fork in this 'cause I'm callin it done. Special thanks to @Helles Belle and @BusDriver for their research determining that it probably didn't have letter codes. Also to @Raptorattacker for his "Petrol Spill" graphic. I'm pretty pleased with the weathering and think that it looks the part.

! 01 Skin Frame.jpg

Rap's fuel spill

Screen_230307_173951.jpg

Remnants of red doped fabric gunport covering. See Beufighter photo below.

Screen_230307_173812.jpg

Screen_230307_173908.jpg

Eroded paint on prop blades. This is pretty much what most props looked like when an aircraft came in to our shop for a 100hr or Annual inspection. We would file out the nicks and apply "touch-up" paint. (Actually, we rattle canned the most of the blades but the FAA allows only "touch-up". Otherwise, it has to be done by a certified Prop Repair Station.

Screen_230307_173938.jpg

Blueish exhaust staining. I've seen this effect on high powered planes. I's pretty subtle. I enhanced it here for some drama.

Screen_230307_174010.jpg

More fuel spillage.

Screen_230307_174025.jpg

Screen_230307_170457.jpg

Pilot with white overalls.

Pilot1.png

The only photo I could find of a N0. 27 Squadron Mossie and there are no letter codes.

Mosquito FB VI of No. 27 Squadron RAF in the CBI, 7 June 1945.jpg

An example of red doped fabric gun port covering. 

Gunport patch.png

Submitted to DCS User Files. Links to both... hardcoded letters and Bort letters enabled:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329548/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329549/

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
Links added
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

OK, stick a fork in this 'cause I'm callin it done. Special thanks to @Helles Belle and @BusDriver for their research determining that it probably didn't have letter codes. Also to @Raptorattacker for his "Petrol Spill" graphic. I'm pretty pleased with the weathering and think that it looks the part.

! 01 Skin Frame.jpg

Rap's fuel spill

Screen_230307_173951.jpg

Screen_230307_173812.jpg

Screen_230307_173908.jpg

Eroded paint on prop blades. This is pretty much what most props looked like when an aircraft came in to our shop for a 100hr or Annual inspection. We would file out the nicks and apply "touch-up" paint. (Actually, we rattle canned the most of the blades but the FAA allows only "touch-up". Otherwise, it has to be done by a certified Prop Repair Station.

Screen_230307_173938.jpg

Blueish exhaust staining. I've seen this effect on high powered planes. I's pretty subtle. I enhanced it here for some drama.

Screen_230307_174010.jpg

More fuel spillage.

Screen_230307_174025.jpg

Screen_230307_170457.jpg

Pilot1.png

The only photo I could find of a N0. 27 Squadron Mossie and there are no letter codes.

Gunport patch.png

Submitted to DCS User Files. Also the same skin but with Letter Codes enabled. Awaiting approval.

Excellent

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

! 01 Skin Frame.jpg

Rap's fuel spill

Screen_230307_173951.jpg

Screen_230307_173812.jpg

Screen_230307_173908.jpg

Screen_230307_173938.jpg

Screen_230307_174010.jpg

More fuel spillage.

Screen_230307_174025.jpg

Screen_230307_170457.jpg

Pilot1.png

Gunport patch.png

Submitted to DCS User Files. Also the same skin but with Letter Codes enabled. Awaiting approval.

Wow! Insane level of detail. I can see you put your heart and soul into that skin. This really sets the bar high. Well done!

• Thanks 1

@II.JG1_Vonrd That's some awesome weathering detail on that one. The only gripe I have is that judging from the photo with Lt. Torrance I'm pretty sure it was a camouflaged plane and not silver-doped one. The difference between undercarriage elements and the rest of the airframe, the staining, the darker colour splotch visible over .303 barrels (corresponding with typical Mossie camo pattern) suggest to me Dark Earth / Dark Green SEAC camo. Besides, repainting silver didn't really begin until winter '44 / spring '45 as a stopgap solution to glue problems, and the photo was allegedly taken in March '44 (?).

The HJ759 plane photo is puzzling, however. I'd say a flat-paint finish as well, but no camo? Looks almost a bit Australian Foliage Green all around, but that's different air force.

Your Popeye is still an impressive skin, though and I'll definitely download it.

Hate to be that ungrateful guy, but gotta ask: would you consider making a camo version as well? ;)

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team

Some great entries so far, keep it up and thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, Art-J said:

Hate to be that ungrateful guy, but gotta ask: would you consider making a camo version as well?

Yeah, I did see that it looked like it might be camo and I'll probably do a camo version as well. I didn't take it as ungrateful at all!

I also want to do one with "Azure" blue undersides but there seems to be controversy in the scale modelers forums as to what color that actually is.

Anyone have some input on that?

9 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Gorgeous skin of yours, love it :thumbsup: .

By the way

On 3/8/2023 at 7:32 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Gunport patch.png

10984463_309683002488831_1677967150328709315_n.jpg

An actual example of the red dope in a Mosquito, just for your tranquillity  :thumbup:. Despite the looks of it, it's a WWII colour picture BTW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 3/8/2023 at 1:32 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Screen_230307_173908.jpg

that's a really cool skin, @II.JG1_Vonrd!  Shows the true nature of this bird!

It would be awesome if you could share a link to the user file section when it gets approved (unless we can find it using your username there)..

Edited by peachmonkey

In three individual downloads, here are three different schemes, in two different variations each.  Totaling 6 liveries, collectively.  If concerned about disk space, see the bottom of this post.
-305Sqn 1944
-Standard RAF 1944
-Standard w/ White Spinner RAF 1944

Each comes in two variations, depending on time period:
-June, 1944: invasion bands wrap completely around the aircrafts' wing and tail
-July, 1944: invasion bands eliminated from the top surfaces of the wings and tail

These liveries are oringinally intended to fully emcompass the 138 and 140 Wing of the RAF, which were highly active over France in 1944, prior to and during the invasion.  Each Wing has three squadrons.
-138 Wing
--107Sqn (Bort code: OM) (Standard RAF 1944)
--305Sqn (Bort code: SM) (305Sqn 1944)
--613Sqn (Bort code: SY) (Standard w/ White Spinner RAF 1944)
-140 Wing
--21Sqn (Bort code: YH) (Standard w/ White Spinner RAF 1944)
--464Sqn (Bort code: SB) (Standard RAF 1944)
--487Sqn (Bort code: EG) (Standard RAF 1944)

Included in the liveries:
-Two variations: June (top and bottom stripes), and July (bottom stripes only)
-Highly detailed invasion stripe textures, replicating the sloppy and rushed nature that stripes were applied.
-Full workable bort codes for all liveries

DOWNLOADS:
305Sqn Polish RAF/Spring+Summer 1944: 305 Polish RAF Squadron / Spring+Summer 1944 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)
image.jpegnull
RAF Standard/Spring+Summer 1944: RAF Standard / Spring+Summer 1944 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)
image.jpeg
RAF Standard with White Spinner/Spring+Summer 1944: RAF Standard White Spinner / Spring+Summer 1944 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)
white spinner.jpg

BORT NUMBERS:
Each and every livery has fully workable bort numbers for the best mission flexibility.  Realistically, the RAF rushed the painting of their stripes so fast, that bort codes were painted over by the stripes.  This can be replicated by entering a '-' (dash) in the first two positions of a bort code, in the Mission Editor or Rearm Window.  If you do not want to have the invasion bands paint over your bort codes, you may enter your bort code as regular, and it will be visible.
Regarding the July versions, the RAF still left the remaining paint or new paint to often (though not always) paint over their old squadron ID codes/bort numbers.  This only makes the top half of the letters visible.  This is replicated in these liveries, while still being adjustable in DCS.
Here's some photos of what can be expected:
stripe textures.jpg

stripe over borts.jpg

all borts editable.jpg

bort can display over stripes.jpg

polish emblem.jpg

white spinner ground.jpg

DISK SPACE CONSIDERATIONS:
All six of these liveries are made with the ability to function independently of each other.  This means that between the six of them, there are a lot of repeated textures.  If all six of these liveries are installed, this takes up nearly 1GB of storage:
image.png
However, through the description.lua of each livery, it is possible to have liveries borrow textures from one another.  Using this, I've also made a version of the RAF White and Polish liveries that borrow up to 7 textures from the RAF Standard liveries.  This lowers the disk space consumed from 1GB to only 437MB.
image.png
These versions of the liveries can be downloaded from HERE.
(Update: 13Mar2023, in this link above, also added two new liveries in the same variation, to cover night fighting squadrons with their red bort numbers.  File size only increased to 442MB)

Edited by Magic Zach
addition of red bort liveries
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

10 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

It would be awesome if you could share a link to the user file section when it gets approved (unless we can find it using your username there)..

Thanks @peachmonkey

Here's links to the three Mosquito skins that I've done so far (and you can search by my username as well of course):

PoUX: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329485/

Generic silver with Borts enabled: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329487/

Popeye hard coded letters: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329548/

Popeye Borts enabled: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329549/

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 2:32 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

! 01 Skin Frame.jpg

Rap's fuel spill

Screen_230307_173951.jpg

Screen_230307_173812.jpg

Screen_230307_173908.jpg

Screen_230307_173938.jpg

Screen_230307_174010.jpg

More fuel spillage.

Screen_230307_174025.jpg

Screen_230307_170457.jpg

Pilot1.png

Gunport patch.png

Submitted to DCS User Files. Links to both... hardcoded letters and Bort letters enabled:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329548/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329549/

One thing is right! This skin has already entered the list of winners.

• Thanks 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

17 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Thanks @peachmonkey

Here's links to the three Mosquito skins that I've done so far (and you can search by my username as well of course):

PoUX: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329485/

Generic silver with Borts enabled: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329487/

Popeye hard coded letters: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329548/

Popeye Borts enabled: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3329549/

thank you so much, you're the true MVP! 😄

• Thanks 1