NVG Mod for DCS 2.9

10-22-2023:  Updated for 2.9

This is based off of Kegety's mod.  I made sharper NVG version for his mod a while back and this adds vertical position, size, and noise amount adjustments.

NVG.gif

ADJUSTMENTS:

All 4 values (Blur amount, Position, Size, and Noise amount) are fully adjustable.  Just search for "Taz" in the two files.

NOTES:

• Does not pass IC as of DCS 2.8.5 on 5/18/23
  • Works in 2D and VR

INSTALL:

Recommend using Mod Manager or extract to DCS main install directory.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 17

On 4/1/2023 at 10:58 PM, Taz1004 said:

This is based off of Kegety's mod.  I made sharper NVG version for his mod a while back and this adds vertical position, size, and noise amount adjustments.

NVG.gif

ADJUSTMENTS:

All 4 values (Blur amount, Position, Size, and Noise amount) are fully adjustable.  Just search for "Taz" in the two files.

NOTES:

• Passes IC
  • Works in 2D and VR

INSTALL:

Recommend using Mod Manager or extract to DCS main install directory.

DOWNLOAD

I love you for this

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...
Il 3/4/2023 at 17:56, Taz1004 ha scritto:

Not aware of that bug.  Mine isn't full screen in VR.

In my Oculus RiftS I always got full screen "green" view everywhere I looked!!!
With your MOD by setting:
float NVG_SIZE = 1.9; 
float NVG_VERT_POS = 0.1; 
I finally have a normal peripheral view that allows me to read the instruments in the cockpit.

THANK YOU!!!

Il 19/4/2023 at 13:58, Gilligan ha scritto:

Trying to install - what is the "main install directory?"

What is the file path I am following?

Thank you.

Use  OVGME

8 ore fa, patpatpowercat ha scritto:

I also have full screen NVGs in VR. Using HP Reverb G2. 

Try to use my parameters

Edited by fabio.dangelo

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 1:17 PM, fabio.dangelo said:

In my Oculus RiftS I always got full screen "green" view everywhere I looked!!!
With your MOD by setting:
float NVG_SIZE = 1.9; 
float NVG_VERT_POS = 0.1; 
I finally have a normal peripheral view that allows me to read the instruments in the cockpit.

THANK YOU!!!

As a newbie here, I'm not following this MOD.  I have the same problem with my OCULUS II where EVERYTHING is green when I put on the NVDs, which makes reading the displays impossible.  Can someone please explain how to implement this MOD?  Is there a file that needs to be modified somehow?  Thank you.

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

On 5/8/2023 at 3:38 PM, 2circle said:

As a newbie here, I'm not following this MOD.  I have the same problem with my OCULUS II where EVERYTHING is green when I put on the NVDs, which makes reading the displays impossible.  Can someone please explain how to implement this MOD?  Is there a file that needs to be modified somehow?  Thank you.

Download this https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3330188/

Extract the contents somewhere...

If you're not using a mod manager, simply copy the content of IT'S Bazar folder to your DCS Bazar folder... and acknowledge folder replacement.

You will need to copy it back after any DCS update or repair install. 

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 5/11/2023 at 7:05 AM, Sr. said:

Download this https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3330188/

Extract the contents somewhere...

If you're not using a mod manager, simply copy the content of IT'S Bazar folder to your DCS Bazar folder... and acknowledge folder replacement.

You will need to copy it back after any DCS update or repair install. 

Awesome, I'll give it a shot, thanks!

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

So I apparently do not have a Bazar folder in the DCS folder structure (it did not come up after doing a search either).  Is there some other folder the extracted contents should go into or should I just make a new folder in the DCS directory called Bazar?  Thank you again.

You must be looking in the wrong area or less likely it somehow got set to hidden. Bazar is part of DCS base program folder structure. Be sure you are looking in your DCS installation NOT Saved Games. This is why a mod manager is so useful, prevents looking in the wrong area.

Steam install <drive>\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld\Bazar
standalone <drive>\DCS World [or DCS World OpenBeta]\Bazar

17 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

You must be looking in the wrong area or less likely it somehow got set to hidden. Bazar is part of DCS base program folder structure. Be sure you are looking in your DCS installation NOT Saved Games. This is why a mod manager is so useful, prevents looking in the wrong area.

Steam install <drive>\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld\Bazar
standalone <drive>\DCS World [or DCS World OpenBeta]\Bazar

That was it!  Thanks so much.  Although I still get the entire FOV in green, at least I can see and read the cockpit displays which is a huge improvement.  Is there some other mod I need to do in order to get just a portion of the FOV in my Oculus II to have the night vision (i.e. more realistic)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2circle said:

That was it!  Thanks so much.  Although I still get the entire FOV in green, at least I can see and read the cockpit displays which is a huge improvement.  Is there some other mod I need to do in order to get just a portion of the FOV in my Oculus II to have the night vision (i.e. more realistic)?

You're very welcome! 🙂
The full screen should be able to be changed in a setting in the mod. Maybe in NVD_common.hlsl the line "float NVG_SIZE = " it too small of a number. it's counterintuitive but higher is smaller so 0 should be full screen. I don't use VR but found 0.5 to give a large view without being too big. Try 1 to start and see how it goes. Don't forget to exit DCS for any change so it reloads. Also make sure you don't somehow have 2 NVG mods installed that might be fighting with each other.

Wonderful - and how would one go about changing a setting in a mod?  Does that require a special program or application?  Not a super strong IT background here I'm afraid...

Wonderful - and how would one go about changing a setting in a mod?  Does that require a special program or application?  Not a super strong IT background here I'm afraid...

Not at all it's a text file. Since you installed manually go to your DCS installation folder, open the Bazar folder, and in that open "NVD_common.hlsl" Taz1004 put notes in the file to tell what the lines do which is very helpful for finding the right line and what it does. 🙂

13 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Not at all it's a text file. Since you installed manually go to your DCS installation folder, open the Bazar folder, and in that open "NVD_common.hlsl" Taz1004 put notes in the file to tell what the lines do which is very helpful for finding the right line and what it does. 🙂

Thanks for your patience JeffreyC....I was able to locate and open the .hlsl folder using notepad, but that seems to convert it to a text file when I save it which doesn't help my situation at all.  Is there some other program I need in order to be able to modify a .hlsl file? 

I feel like we're a long way from discussing flight sims at this point, but it seems relevant.  Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your patience JeffreyC....I was able to locate and open the .hlsl folder using notepad, but that seems to convert it to a text file when I save it which doesn't help my situation at all.  Is there some other program I need in order to be able to modify a .hlsl file? 

I feel like we're a long way from discussing flight sims at this point, but it seems relevant.  Thanks in advance!

Shouldn't convert anything, it is a text file and I use notepad to edit it myself. Never had a problem with it renaming the file. Just open it up, edit the file, and safe from the pulldown menu or Control S and you should be good.

Edited by JeffreyC