NVG Mod for DCS 2.9

nullSo here's the message I get when I try to modify the file.  I checked and I have administrator privileges (it's my computer and my account indicates as much).  Any thoughts, or is this now a moot point since it won't pass the IC anyway?

image.png

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

On 5/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, 2circle said:

nullSo here's the message I get when I try to modify the file.  I checked and I have administrator privileges (it's my computer and my account indicates as much).  Any thoughts, or is this now a moot point since it won't pass the IC anyway?

ED locked out shaders with IC now as of the most recent update. 

On 5/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Br0s3ph said:

ED locked out shaders with IC now as of the most recent update. 

Yup.  It sucks because now even PVE servers that have IC on, but don't require pure texture/models/whatever refuse connection.  I'm just using your glass, NVG, and dot mod.  It seems they went out of their way to do this, unless there's some cheat that's been going on that changes shaders.  Would be cool if there was a whitelist with MD5 sums that servers could use.  Or something like that.

If I were taz, I'd feel attacked.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

If I were taz, I'd feel attacked.

I just make mods for myself and just sharing them.  I don't do multiplayer so it doesn't bother me but I do feel the pain for those who do and disagree with ED's approach on this one.  As it's not just my mods but bunch of other mods that got affected.  Should've only blocked the dot files.  Not the whole shaders folder.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I just make mods for myself and just sharing them.  I don't do multiplayer so it doesn't bother me but I do feel the pain for those who do and disagree with ED's approach on this one.  As it's not just my mods but bunch of other mods that got affected.  Should've only blocked the dot files.  Not the whole shaders folder.

Sometimes I feel members understand how DCS works and what it needs better than ED....

DCS + community mods = awesome experience in VR with 30 series GPU or higher 

DCS alone, not playable with high settings in VR, at least for regular non 4090 people 

Edited by KCOOL
  • Like 1

Surprised they haven't integrated the mods into the game, at this point.   The dots and glass are soooooo much better.  Don't fly with NV much because even at night, vanilla night vision is just garbage.  Like, there's no way Gen 3+ night vision is so useless.  They flew resupply on moonless nights with that stuff in Afghanistan so the choppers wouldn't be as vulnerable.  So the US military from around the timeframe of our Viper and Hornet was flying helos through mountains on moonless nights.  You must be able to see something with them other than just green snow.  I could see ED implementing a system that is timeframe or aircraft based.  Someone who said they flew choppers in Nam told me that when they got night vision, it was basically like flying looking through spray-painted green cellophane.  But 2000's and on?  It's much much clearer.  And not as narrow a field of view, depending on device used.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

• 4 months later...

I used this great mod for my Rift S in VR for quite some time with great joy. Just recently switched to Reverb G2 and now I have a problem. Is there any way of tweaking the files so that the rings for each eye comes closer together? I think its called convergence. Now I see two rings that dont overlap when I look with both eyes, if I close one I see only one? Is this possible @Taz1004?

@Taz1004 - I am blown away.  Thank you for this!  Not sure how you EVER figured out how/where to customize these files.  You, sir, are a huge asset to this community.  Thank you!

I had given up hope for a smooth flying experience using NVGs because I couldn't see the instruments/MFDs.  I would pop them on when I needed to see outside the cockpit and turn off when looking inside.  A massive PITA.  Your mod frees me from doing the NVG dance.  What a gift!  Images of before and after for anyone wondering (I know there's images in the OP, but we're now beyond those pages so hopefully this helps someone).

NoMod.jpg

WithMod.jpg

Note:  I fly exclusively in VR (Pimax 8kx).  I captured the VR experience above using OBS to record the output.  OBS only captures one eye and shows the black outline beyond the monocle.  In the HMD, there is no monocle edge and the entire view goes green in both eyes (which I am fine with).

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 4 weeks later...

@Taz1004 I don't think this is working in 2.9. Anyone else seeing this?

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus 

So, I'm currently using the Pimax Crystal including dynamic foveated rendering and it works great, but there is a problem with NVGs and I was told to use this mod.

Unfortunately it doesn't completely remove the problem:

nullDoes anyone know how to get rid of or mitigate this graphical error?

image.png

On 4/2/2023 at 5:58 AM, Taz1004 said:

This is based off of Kegety's mod.  I made sharper NVG version for his mod a while back and this adds vertical position, size, and noise amount adjustments.

NVG.gif

ADJUSTMENTS:

All 4 values (Blur amount, Position, Size, and Noise amount) are fully adjustable.  Just search for "Taz" in the two files.

NOTES:

• Does not pass IC as of DCS 2.8.5 on 5/18/23
  • Works in 2D and VR

INSTALL:

Recommend using Mod Manager or extract to DCS main install directory.

DOWNLOAD

For me not working with 2.9 anymore. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

23 hours ago, dlder said:

So, I'm currently using the Pimax Crystal including dynamic foveated rendering and it works great, but there is a problem with NVGs and I was told to use this mod.

Unfortunately it doesn't completely remove the problem:

nullDoes anyone know how to get rid of or mitigate this graphical error?

image.png

Go back to vanilla NVGs, they work great with pimax crystal. 

• Taz1004 changed the title to NVG Mod for DCS 2.9
On 4/2/2023 at 5:58 AM, Taz1004 said:

10-22-2023:  Updated for 2.9

This is based off of Kegety's mod.  I made sharper NVG version for his mod a while back and this adds vertical position, size, and noise amount adjustments.

NVG.gif

ADJUSTMENTS:

All 4 values (Blur amount, Position, Size, and Noise amount) are fully adjustable.  Just search for "Taz" in the two files.

NOTES:

• Does not pass IC as of DCS 2.8.5 on 5/18/23
  • Works in 2D and VR

INSTALL:

Recommend using Mod Manager or extract to DCS main install directory.

DOWNLOAD

Great! Thanks

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Tried it but doesn't work in my system. No matter what I do.

Changed the NVG values to see if it made a difference, but it did not. I think the original DCS NVG is showing. Not the mod. Any way to troubleshoot this?

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

@Taz1004 All working again, thanks Taz

Asus Dark Hero X570, AMD 5800x Oc to 5ghz on 2 cores, RX6900XT Reference Oc to 2700mhz+MPT, All on Custom Water Loop, 3600 CL15 XMP, 2xCrucial P5P 1T M2, Hotas Warthog, Reverb G2,

Latest DCS Open Beta and VR only

A10CII and AH64D, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Caucasus 

17 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Go back to vanilla NVGs, they work great with pimax crystal. 

Had the same problem with NVGs and Dynamic Foveated Rendering with 2.8 Stable, default, that's why I tried switching to TAZs mod... gonna try again with 2.9

Hi Taz, I cannot set fullscreen NVG by changing those lines:

float NVG_SIZE = 0.9; //Taz1004 NVG size.  Default is 1.  Higher is smaller
float NVG_VERT_POS = -0.2; //Taz1004 NVG Vertical position.  Default is 0.  Positive value will raise up.  Negative value will lower.

If I set to 0.0 and 0.0, NVG doesn´t go fullscreen. Any help plz?

13 hours ago, Gryzor said:

Hi Taz, I cannot set fullscreen NVG by changing those lines:

float NVG_SIZE = 0.9; //Taz1004 NVG size.  Default is 1.  Higher is smaller
float NVG_VERT_POS = -0.2; //Taz1004 NVG Vertical position.  Default is 0.  Positive value will raise up.  Negative value will lower.

If I set to 0.0 and 0.0, NVG doesn´t go fullscreen. Any help plz?

I have exactly the same problem, any value that changes, of the two that there are, in the NVD_common.hlsl file has no effect in the simulator, at least in VR. However, if I change the values of the NVD_HDR.fx file, the change is noticeable.

@Taz1004 I think there is some problem with the names or at least in VR they don't work, I didn't try it in 2D.

2 hours ago, Silver_ said:

I have exactly the same problem, any value that changes, of the two that there are, in the NVD_common.hlsl file has no effect in the simulator, at least in VR. However, if I change the values of the NVD_HDR.fx file, the change is noticeable.

@Taz1004 I think there is some problem with the names or at least in VR they don't work, I didn't try it in 2D.

This is NVG_SIZE at 0.9

image.jpeg

This is at 0.1

image.jpeg

Seems to work for both 2D and VR on my end.

The mod was updated yesterday for 2.9.  Did you update?

I don't know if it has issues with foveated rendering or any other DCS feature I'm not using.  If problem persists, try posting your system spec and settings to find the common setting between anyone having same issue.