Please enable "Ultra" shadows in game settings. It looks beautiful, works wonderful especially in VR. I see no performance impact.

Rapierarch

Dear ED,

Can you please enable in game graphics settings, "ultra" setting for the shadows.

It works wonderful and it is not a secret that DCS uses immense VRAM so there is no reason to be shy about applying 8K cascade shadow maps.

They look awesome in VR. I have been using them since I had my hands on 4090. But anytime I change in game a graphics setting shadows revert back to off. And I had to restart DCS with correct options lua again.

Please do it. It does not even need coding. Just add it to the existing pull down menu. 

Thanks!.

Edited by Rapierarch
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, GKOver said:

Is there nobody able to answer my question?
😞

Sorry I missed it. 

It is not graphics lua. You need to go to the saved games  folder. Under config folder there is options.lua.

All in game graphics settings are listed there. Set shadows 5 there (in game high is 4) which will enable ultra shadows.

But As I said the moment that you open settings menu in DCS (control setup or graphics setup , VR tab or special options) it will immediately overwrite this setting and you will revert to no shadows and without repeating this step you can never turn on ultra shadows again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

This, just tried and please, include the Ultra option, looks superb on cockpit!

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Tried this as well. Setting to 5 is very nice!

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Kerbo 416 said:

Would you happen to have comparison shots between Ultra and High?

Just try it yourself. You need a comparison video not comparison shots. It removes all nerveus interim low res dynamic shadows and flat shadows are pushed further back. You won't see much in screenshot. Especially in VR when you see all details it is day and night. It looks like completely another game in VR.

27 minutes ago, mimamema said:

Maybe we could ask @SkateZilla to be able to enforce this option in the DCS Updater app?

It does not matter how you enforce it. The moment that in game you open settings menu ultra shadows immediately disabled. You can edit shadows lua and set high shadows with the same settings of ultra shadows but this breaks the IC pass. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mimamema said:

Maybe we could ask @SkateZilla to be able to enforce this option in the DCS Updater app?

was already done internally.. forgot to re-enable before first public release 🙂

The option was there to set, but I cannot keep DCS from reverting it when accessing the options menu.

26 minutes ago, Rapierarch said:

Just try it yourself. You need a comparison video not comparison shots. It removes all nerveus interim low res dynamic shadows and flat shadows are pushed further back. You won't see much in screenshot. Especially in VR when you see all details it is day and night. It looks like completely another game in VR.

It does not matter how you enforce it. The moment that in game you open settings menu ultra shadows immediately disabled. You can edit shadows lua and set high shadows with the same settings of ultra shadows but this breaks the IC pass. 

with my app, you wouldn't need to go into the options menu to change graphics settings.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

4 hours ago, Rapierarch said:

Yes, but as @SkateZillasays, you wouldn´t need to edit the file every time you go into the options menu. 

3 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

The option was there to set, but I cannot keep DCS from reverting it when accessing the options menu.

Yes, I guessed so, but it´s better than editing the file whenever you go into the options menu for other reasons. It´s just a temporal solution before they activate it officially (hopefully soon) like your upscaling (DLSS) greyed-out menu 😝.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mimamema said:

Yes, but as @SkateZillasays, you wouldn´t need to edit the file every time you go into the options menu

Yes it is not a big deal to change one value from 4 to 5 in a file. I don't need an app only to do that. The problem remains the same as @SkateZilla also says. After you launch the game. Any moment that you open the settings menu even to change the special options of a module or or even to navigate to controls setup it immediately overwrites your shadows setting and it is really annoying. If you need to restartt DCS each time with skatezilla or you shut it down change the options.lua and relaunch again. 

On 4/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, Rapierarch said:

Set shadows 5 there (in game high is 4) which will enable ultra shadows.

Last time I tried, my DCS couldn't launch with shadows=5 setting, had to revert.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 7/3/2023 at 7:19 AM, Miro said:

What option "["shadowTree"] = false or true," doing?

it does nothing, it's an old value.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 6:37 AM, draconus said:

Last time I tried, my DCS couldn't launch with shadows=5 setting, had to revert.

Same here, I don't know if they disabled this, but now when I set shadows to 5, in game it just turns them off. Worked for a while, but not anymore.

• Like 2

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.