Patch notes discussion May 2023

BIGNEWY

21 minutes ago, Minhal said:

When DCS updates, it also checks all files for changes and replaces them by an original file. That is why i asked. Sounds a bit like your settings files might be altered by some external source in a way DCS updater does not like. So on every update, it replaces the settings file with an unchanged copy (which presents itself as a "reset to default"). Maybe it is the A-4 mod as the A-4 probably also injects its own sub-tab in the special tab. Could be any 3rd party tool that for some reason writes into the DCS settings file and corrupts it by doing so.

Removing all mods and 3rd party tools and then adding them one by one while checking for the bug will be the only way to see what causes this. This is just how things work in bug testing. As no one else seems to have this problem (never heard so far at least), it seems like it is not a vanilla DCS issue.

Edit: just to add: i also had Windows Defender block certain settings files (non-DCS) with anti-ransomware protection in mind. Had to whitelist the application that  tried to access the files. Hence i asked for anti-virus software. It might just misinterpret the update process as an unwanted file change and revert. Or block it and the updater interprets this as the file missing.

I appreciate the feedback, but what you're suggesting is spending a few hours to potentially save a few seconds / maybe a minute every update.  And also to risk messing up a functioning DCS build.  I know there are a bazillion things that could be causing this.  I haven't done any troubleshooting, nor am I likely to.  It's not worth the hassle.    I was just hoping maybe someone had seen this and could point right to the cause.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

It doesn't happen to me, just updated DCS and then went to check the Specials because of this thread ... my options were as I last left them. The DCS Updater does not touch your /Saved games/ files, where your options config is stored, so  your issue should not happen.

What does happen seldom, is when a developer changes the control bindings of his aircraft ... on those cases it might mess with your control assignments.

Can't say if User Mods or other tools could produce your issue, on my case I use a Mod Manager and use it to disable my Mods before I allow DCS to update itself, maybe that's the reasn why I don't have your same issue.

@Minhal

Thanks to you both for the suggestions.  I am on a two day old reinstall of windows 11.  I left DCS alone and it worked post win 11 O.S. re-install.  I Had to moved saved games, load a few key bindings, etc.  all of which could be the culprit so really not looking for a deep dive.  I was looking for hey it's the XYZ mod.  

I generally un-OVGME everything but not always.  Only mod I'm running right now I think was clear glass, which also no longer appears to pass IC.  

Anyhow I was submitting a data point to the community, and hoping someone else had seen it, more than asking for detailed troubleshooting.

P.S. the only thing that changed between last night and today though was the patch.  
None of the things I listed occurred between last night and this morning's revert to takeoff assistance 100% on every plane etc.

I went to bed, it worked.  I woke up, patched and that's the only thing that transpired between having my specials changed to what I assume are defaults.

I'm going to run a full repair slow version and go from there.

Thank again.

Edited by cw4ogden
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cw4ogden said:

I Had to moved saved games,

Most likely this is the cause of your issue, as it is unlikely that a user Mod could cause it without someone else encountering the same issues. Moving saved games is not a very intuitive operation and could easily affect DCS as the user configs are stored there .. this is the proper way to move it:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Most likely this is the cause of your issue, as it is unlikely that a user Mod could cause it without someone else encountering the same issues. Moving saved games is not a very intuitive operation and could easily affect DCS as the user configs are stored there .. this is the proper way to move it:

Agree, that seems likely - however, I did it via that or similar post, and the move happened yesterday or the day before.  

it’s happened I think three times maybe in the last few months.  I can’t say it’s the patch process with any sort of high certainty.  Only that the only thing I did between playing last night, and having it reset to default, was patch DCS.  

I'd like to praise ED for adding the Improved Contact Dot Spotting mod to the integrity check.
Great job, you just put anyone who uses a 21st century screen resolution in multiplayer right back to where they were before the mod. Stellar work.
You will have made the people who intentionally exploit the way DCS handles spotting very happy, because now they have their edge back.

• Like 8

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Is it possible to get a re-found on all my WW2 modules ? (WARNING! THAT WAS A JOKE OF FRUSTRATION, I know I can't get a refund for this 😄 ) Since I have a 4k monitor and the spotting mod is killed in multiplayer now , I can't fly WW2 any more, I can't see anything without it. I bought 3 modules when the spotting mod come out because I could finally play again 😞 😞 😞

Edited by Balu010
  • Like 5

vor 2 Stunden schrieb hreich:

They added robby fuel tank...didn't saw it mentioned in patch notes! Yehaaaw!!

Robby fuel tank was in AH-64D from initial release.

It‘s now added the possibility to leave it out and load 1200 gun rounds instead.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

42 minutes ago, Balu010 said:

Is it possible to get a re-found on all my WW2 modules ?

Dear Fighter Pilot, Partner and Friend. No, you can't have a refund.

But please purchase our upcoming F6F module and thank you for your passion 😄

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

They will just head back to the other sim which is actually more fun for WW2 (I didn't say realistic) and more fleshed out anyway, but agreed its a shame this mod was locked out by IC

5 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

There has been an uplift or more like an influx of IL2 players in DCS WW2 MP because of the spotting improvement via this mod.

ED has successfully shunned them all off by shooting itself in a foot. Kudos.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

They will just head back to the other sim which is actually more fun for WW2 (I didn't say realistic) and more fleshed out anyway, but agreed its a shame this mod was locked out by IC

I dont think so , once you fly the warbirds in DCS, its very difficult to go back to IL2, I tried it and it felt so arcade, I just quit the game after a few minutes,IL2 its not more fun for me,not even close,  with last updates it became very boring and arcade, and this is why so many left and moved to DCS.

But for sure agreed the spotting got better with this mod, and should be addressed in DCS soon.

• Like 5

• ED Team
6 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

There has been an uplift or more like an influx of IL2 players in DCS WW2 MP because of the spotting improvement via this mod.

ED has successfully shunned them all off by shooting itself in a foot. Kudos.

We are working on improved spotting based on the mod, but we are also not rushing it in. As well, the mod could be exploited pretty extremely, we know it's frustrating but we have to eliminate the exploits first.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

We are working on improved spotting based on the mod, but we are also not rushing it in. As well, the mod could be exploited pretty extremely, we know it's frustrating but we have to eliminate the exploits first.
@NineLine the problem is real and frustrating on a WW2 combat flight simulator. If you don't want to use the mod for a good reason, you need to find a valid alternative. I too have switched from the well-known WW2 flight simulator to the one created by DCS and I would not regret my decision, I certainly will not buy other modules or maps from that period.

Inviato dal mio SM-G998B utilizzando Tapatalk

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

9 hours ago, Balu010 said:

Is it possible to get a re-found on all my WW2 modules ? (WARNING! THAT WAS A JOKE OF FRUSTRATION, I know I can't get a refund for this 😄 ) Since I have a 4k monitor and the spotting mod is killed in multiplayer now , I can't fly WW2 any more, I can't see anything without it. I bought 3 modules when the spotting mod come out because I could finally play again 😞 😞 😞

For that and other reasons I now play on the other WW2 server.

6 hours ago, motoadve said:

I dont think so , once you fly the warbirds in DCS, its very difficult to go back to IL2, I tried it and it felt so arcade, I just quit the game after a few minutes,IL2 its not more fun for me,not even close,  with last updates it became very boring and arcade, and this is why so many left and moved to DCS.

But for sure agreed the spotting got better with this mod, and should be addressed in DCS soon.

Not really true most of the DCS WW2 owner on our Discord and servers have moved to the other sim as it just more fun and has proper fleshed out plane sets, they fly DCS WW2 planes for realism and often, but mainly in our TTi mission server, but for big missions they fly WW2 else where on our other server we have going.

Boy howdy those F16 and 18 patch notes shrink with every release but the bugs stack up.

I love how they brought all of the Hornet bombing issues they caused 3 patches ago in the beta into stable.

But hey, clouds and hatches everyone! Cheers!

Edited by LastRifleRound
  • Like 2

8 часов назад, NineLine сказал:

Hello dear ED-team. I'm glad to hear you consider that some changes of spotting (and may be some way proposed by the community via this mod) is needed. Hope your realization coming soon and we would be able to return to high resolution for 2k and 4k monitors..
But not only this mod was banned in this patch. For example see this thread 

Please check the possibility to verify not all shaders folder but only dots file.

BR Yuriy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NineLine said:

Thank you! That is what I wanted to hear, if something is in the works than all is fine, I can wait.

• Like 2

For me in VR with the 2.8.5.40170 MT the general performance in SP is really good with nice, crisp visuals, thank you ED!

Unfortunately rhe following issues are still persist, I hope they're at high priority to be corrected:

• very bad freezes (2-3 seconds), even with blackouts - they happen really rare (better than previous version), but this error was simply NOT EXISTENT before the MT version, extremely annoying
  • the automatic exposure correction is the same as before, still ruining the visuals, - at least that should be changed to be optional ASAP if the fine tuning of this method would need much more time. Switch this "feature" off already, it's really bad!
  • the clouds quality are the same as before (aliasing)

By the way, any news on DLSS and Vulkan implementation?

• Like 3
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

16 hours ago, NineLine said:

understood, thank you for a hint of the positive news. I just hope your team gives it enough priority, otherwise this cat/mouse game will continue to impact 99.9% of users for the sake of a few cheaters.

• Like 3

I have stopped playing till this is fixed (Also heard IL2 is better for WWII spotting.  I am going to give it a try)  I donate (Money and Modules for give aways) to a lot of youtube channels and discord for their DCS content to help promote DCS.  I have now canceled all DCS donations and will startup again when it is fixed. 

The Day the new patch came out to block the Improved Dot Mod.  Arguments and screaming was all over SRS.  Pilots being frustrated because they are calling for help and a bunch of the people would radio back they couldn't spot them.  The person was shot down and went on a rant about how bad people are flying this simulator.  It was so bad people had to switch channels.   Its things like this the ED team should be understanding.   The Normandy 2 Map is beautiful, and it brought back a lot of former players to play again only to say they wont join till the spotting issue is fixed.  Beyond Frustrating.  What will it take to have an issue that has been brought up over the years many times for them to actually take it seriously and fix it?  

Edited by TPrince
  • Like 5

Processor    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor               4.70 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 TI 

4 K Monitor  ASUS VG34V