Kola Map - what are the features that makes this map different / your favorite?

It's gonna be a cool map for the Bo 105.

The G.91 will also feel at home on the (hopefully) various roadbases. Too bad we don't have an Alpha Jet A.

I'm also hoping for more tactical fixed wing transporters e.g. C-160 and G.222/ C-27 classes.

• Like 4

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

The Kola peninsula is a great location for a few reasons, not least of which it was where lots of tension existed during the Cold War, and even today, there's a lot of tension with Russian bombers probing Nato and warships from the Murmansk dockyards entering the Atlantic and North Sea.

Personally, its a great location to fly my favourite module, Viggen.

• Like 3

There is a huge weapons training facility in Sweden (Vidsel).

Vidsel Test Range has a 3,300 km² large ground area, that is prohibited to enter for non-authorized personnel. (Wikipedia)

Many years ago, I saw Swiss F-5:s there during a military exersize.

Several NATO countries have been training there as well.

I am really looking forward to this map!!!! It will be a first day buy for me!

Best regards:

Otulf

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This map brings really good memories: first with Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter (this was, for me, the most difficult map, even more than Central Europe), and then with DiD's EF-2000. The landscape is beautiful, and the possibility of "visiting" so many military places I've read so much about is really exciting. 

With this map and the Eurofighter, I will be a very happy camper. Add to that a dinamic campaing (in 2030 or so...🤣)...

• Like 5

Taiga rather than sand

Trees.  Swamps.  Ice.  Snow.  Did I mention no sand?

Mosquitos.  The real kind.  Bigger than the one in DCS, and a lot more dangerous.  Can't wait for a real Mosquito to start stabbing the life out of that wooden monstrosity.

Played a role from about the beginning of time to the end of it, which makes it practically perfect for every plane in DCS.  The possibilities are virtually endless.

There are some beastly air bases around there

It's not a desert.  It's not a thin strip of not desert surrounded by desert.  It's not a delta of not desert surrounded by desert. 

When this comes out it will probably be my go-to, if only because there's not a trace of bloody desert anywhere near it.  I swear, I will never pay for another map that is mostly desert.  Probably not if it's even a little desert.  Beach...maybe.  We'll see. 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

"Kola Map - what are the features that makes this map different / your favorite?"

Nothing yet. 😉 What are the features which can this map respectively its landscape make different from other maps that are already available?

Well, its scenic attractions like tundra, fjords, conifers, daytimes, Barents Sea, confluent streams, light conditions (e.g. aurora borealis), marsh districts etc. pp. which make it different from current DCS maps are on hand.

The appropriate transformation that is still due will only bring the real attractions into an enjoyable map sensation. That's why I hope Orbx Simulations will be the first of the mark who create a map with key aspect to vegetation and light conditions with following features in comparison to the current maps:

! Most modern programming techniques that allow for explicit improvement of FPS.

! A conssiderably much higher diversity of vegetation including more and new local vegetation including trees, bushes, rooted plants, stones, rocks, steep faces etc. than before.

! No more bloody standard grass, sand and trees that is presented until now.

! Authentic and typical vegetation, stone(s), soil(s) with clearly improved look with regard to used currend standard types. 

! Light model that depicts the local lightning conditions exactly.

... Incorporation of real life surface objects like huts, humble abode, boats, etc. - should be the simplest challenge.

I hope Orbx Simulations will not create just another map in "ED corporate design", but bring a real new sensation into being. The Kola map has to be clear-cut different from Caucasus and South Atlantic map, its look and feel ought to also make hedgehoppers say:

"Great job Orbx Simulations!"  👍

Edited by Fastbreak
  • Like 2

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

This Kola map seems a bit out of the way at first, but its a great setting for cold war scenarios.

I think itll fit very well into DCS as well, just from the environment. Sure Syria is cool, but its nice to finally have a more forrested european map, and the central land mass will probably allow a lot more variety in campaigns, compared to mediteranean/gulf maps, where you usually fight in lanes at the edges of the sea.

From the pictures, the mountains also seem quite pronounced, so low flying action might be pretty cool too.

At the same time theres still a lot of sea and ports, if you like the water stuff.

Its by far the map im most interested in currently.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, durka-durka said:

Are there any mountains in this region?

Yes, loads, mostly lining the Norwegian coast. There's also some in Sweden and a few on the Kola Peninsula itself.

They might not be super massive, but there are plenty of them.

1 hour ago, durka-durka said:

Deep valleys?

I mean, kinda? There are plenty of valleys and fjords, but they might not be deep (kinda depends how you define deep).

I think the best way to answer these question is to have a play with Google Earth in the region, I think it does a pretty decent job of giving you an insight to what you can expect.

Overall the Caucasus and South Atlantic (at least the the South American portion), is fairly-ish similar to the terrain (minus the fjords in the case of the Caucasus).

51 minutes ago, durka-durka said:

Will there be seasons?

From the newsletter announcing it:

Both Summer and Winter versions of the Kola map are planned.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hi,

I will bought this map if training ranges are photorealistics. Promising with Orbx products.

Edited by vctpil
  • Like 1

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

5 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes, loads, mostly lining the Norwegian coast. There's also some in Sweden and a few on the Kola Peninsula itself.

They might not be super massive, but there are plenty of them.

I mean, kinda? There are plenty of valleys and fjords, but they might not be deep (kinda depends how you define deep).

I think the best way to answer these question is to have a play with Google Earth in the region, I think it does a pretty decent job of giving you an insight to what you can expect.

Overall the Caucasus and South Atlantic (at least the the South American portion), is fairly-ish similar to the terrain (minus the fjords in the case of the Caucasus).

From the newsletter announcing it:

Thank you for the detailed response!  I've looked on google maps and it seems to be fairly flat compared to Caucasus, and very very similar to SA.  

The big difference I'm leaning on is the seasons.  

• Like 1

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

1 hour ago, durka-durka said:

Thank you for the detailed response!  I've looked on google maps and it seems to be fairly flat compared to Caucasus, and very very similar to SA.  

If you're looking on the coast of Norway, it will look quite like South America on the SA map, with lots of mountains and fjords. Finland, Sweden and the Kola Peninsula itself are more flat, though with plenty of smaller hills. Generally the terrain gets more rugged and mountainous the further north and west you go.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Are there any mountains in this region?   Deep valleys?

Will there be seasons?
https://www.google.com/search?q=f-16+flying+in+lofoten&oq=f-16+flying+in+lofoten&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIKCAMQIRgWGB0YHtIBCTIwMjk0ajBqNKgCALACAA&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Royal Norwegian Airforce F-16s filming from the cockpit.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 8/6/2023 at 10:12 PM, durka-durka said:

The big difference I'm leaning on is the seasons.  

There's only a few mountains above 2000 meters in the nordic countries. And almost all of them are in Norway. And only a few are in the area covered on the Kola map.

Vs the 5000 meter mountains Georgia. 

But there are fjords and valleys that go from 0 meters to over 1000 meters straight up. But northern Norway generally has lower elevation then the southern parts.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

F 16's routinely flew valleys in Nothern Norway until recently.
I have experienced looking down at two F16s below me, navigating valley(s) Making a steep turn at the end where it split into two other valleys.
I'll never forget that.
Waiting anxiously to see if that valley makes it to the Kola map.

null

image.png

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Should be... Lattitude (N66,5), lays somewhere between Lůlea and Rovaniemi. So still on the map
But that's not in Norway, so I highly doubt F-16s routinely flew there.
Just kidding, I want all of those valleys!

• Like 2

Good find Max, flying around the Lofoten islands I mean.

My Grandad had to leave his Sunderland in Bodo in ‘42, sitting a fair bit lower in the water than it was ever meant to. I.E. sunk. When I can spare a few million I’m gonna see if I can salvage it. Until then, I know where I’ll be flying to on the map and before long there’ll be threads on “When can we have flying boats”  if I’m not careful.

Hey, we’ll have a good home for the Orca. That’s what we’re all most happy about and looking forward to, surely?

• Like 1

Good find Max, flying around the Lofoten islands I mean.
My Grandad had to leave his Sunderland in Bodo in ‘42, sitting a fair bit lower in the water than it was ever meant to. I.E. sunk. When I can spare a few million I’m gonna see if I can salvage it. Until then, I know where I’ll be flying to on the map and before long there’ll be threads on “When can we have flying boats”  if I’m not careful.
Hey, we’ll have a good home for the Orca. That’s what we’re all most happy about and looking forward to, surely?

Absolutely! Even if I'm Norwegian, I assume this map will easily become my favourite, along with a possible future cold war Central European and/or Vietnam/Korea.

BTW: When I win the lottery, I'll tag along!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Slippa said:

I know where I’ll be flying to on the map and before long there’ll be threads on “When can we have flying boats”  if I’m not careful.

I saw a video yesterday about a Florida based company that is starting to build modern PBY-5 Catalina.. they might have usable computer renderings and flight models for DCS 🤣

Edited by Rodeo
  • Like 2

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

I saw a video yesterday about a Florida based company that is starting to build modern PBY-5 Catalina.. they might have usable computer renderings and flight models for DCS 
Hmmm, why not? That'd be awesome actually, and would fit the PTO as well.

Flying boats? Florida?
Now, gimmie that Grumman from Miami Vice!

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:35 AM, VarZat said:

Living at 67 degress north, its daylight all the time now.

Gotta come further up for true midnight sun man. Yours is still touching the horizon. Ours is circling on top of us being a pain in the ass. 😆

Kola will be super awesome for locals, even more awesome for nature hungry people from not Scandinavia. 

Can't wait to operate from Bodø, Andøya, Evenes etc etc etc.  Long missions to places like Murmansk for pickles. QRA Bomber intercepts. Ship hunting. 

If Orbx does this realistic enough we are in for a treat. Otherwise it's just going to be another SA. Which has potential but not even close to finished. 

IMO 

• Like 3