thrustmaster warthog f-15e castle switch issue

Can't map HUD command on castle switch....depress with forward short does not recognize command

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

do you have a warthog hotas??...I  tried this in AG mode ...no go

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Just now, Raven434th said:

do you have a warthog hotas??

Warthog HOTAS grip on a Virpil Mongoos Base, so yes and no. 😂

Shouldn't matter, though. I'd double check all bindings and make sure all 5 positions of the castle switch are properly mapped.

they are properly mapped...no go...had to map them separately

sorry...MY mistake....I forgot to mention I have the f-18 stick with hog throttle 

Edited by Raven434th

Did a repair...it works as it should now...this thread can be deleted now if needed

I have a Warthog F-16 stick castle switch (no depress function) in my case. So I mapped Modifier + Castle Fwd as Castle Depress, and there is no need to hold down Castle Depress while pushing Castle Fwd to get HUD IN CMD. Just Castle Depress (Modifier + Castle Fwd in my case), then release, then Castle Fwd. Gives me HUD IN CMD when in A/G or NAV or INST. If I do this in A/A, it won't appear on the HUD but is there if you switch over to A/G (Castle Fwd one more time) or press the buttons for A/G, NAV or INST.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 2:01 PM, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

I have a Warthog F-16 stick castle switch (no depress function) in my case. So I mapped Modifier + Castle Fwd as Castle Depress, and there is no need to hold down Castle Depress while pushing Castle Fwd to get HUD IN CMD. Just Castle Depress (Modifier + Castle Fwd in my case), then release, then Castle Fwd. Gives me HUD IN CMD when in A/G or NAV or INST. If I do this in A/A, it won't appear on the HUD but is there if you switch over to A/G (Castle Fwd one more time) or press the buttons for A/G, NAV or INST.

came to forum looking for this. great idea thanks!

• Like 3

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Raven434th, Thanks for starting this thread, and all of you who have helped me understand/get to/find fault with the castle switch. I could NOT work out what was going on and wierd MFD Working...then not working etc. 

I have a HOTAS Warthog, f-16c stick. NO button press on castle. I tried a wonderful 'pre-made' set of controlls/modifiers and got it to work...partially.

I now have my modifier as LCRTL, first thing on the keyboard within easy reach, and it works now for moving the castle about in all BUT AA.

The fault I seem to have, is if I make the modifier one of the buttons, i.e. Throttle button 15(RED BUTTON) or Joystick 4 Paddle, it confuses the system. 

If I use a button and press, say, 15 & Castle up, then that's it locked, I cannot get castle up to react!. (I can prove that by going to Adjust controls and press the sequences, once that Modify -Castle up is used, it stops castle up respoinding, I can move any of the left, right, down...but can't go up.

Could anyone confirm this behaviour? My wife has already said, just buy another Hotas.....I don't think that's the best answer.

In any case I have it working, but would appreciate if anyone can replicate the problem

Thank you to all here, you helped me get to a working system that I understand better.

No issue on TH Hornet, just press (you dont need to hold it) Castle Switch and next move FWD (top tower 😉 ).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

7 hours ago, flyingscotsman said:

If I use a button and press, say, 15 & Castle up, then that's it locked, I cannot get castle up to react!. (I can prove that by going to Adjust controls and press the sequences, once that Modify -Castle up is used, it stops castle up respoinding, I can move any of the left, right, down...but can't go up.

Just to check, you are using a modifier (example) and not a switch right? Seems to work fine on my standard warthog hotas (f16 stick) though in my case I use the throttle slew button as modifier. 

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

Hi GrEaSeLiTeNiN, 

I went to 'MODIFIERS' in the Control Options, on the left are the Crtl, Shift etc, on the right I selected add, it showed Keyboard, and when I selected further down, it showed the name of my Joystick and Throttle, I selected the Joystick, and paddle key, it showed the button number 4- and I accepted it.

However, once I used that combination, I noticed in the Adjust Controls, that once the combination was pressed(, button 4&castle up) it would not then respond to castle up. Even with moving the castle to other directions, castle up, would not select.

I too had throttle slew button as the modifier, but want the button for something else. 

I just find it odd, and slightly unlikely that the HOTAS is broken in all the buttons I tested. I tried red button on the throttle, buttons 5,3,4

My way round it was to delete the buttons from the right side, and use the Left Crtl on the keyboard. 

Not 'realistic' but works for me.

Thank you for answering, if you have any idea's I'd consider them

Hi GrEaSeLiTeNiN, 

You did it! The penny dropped. I've just gone back to Adjust Controls, Modifiers and then, Left side, where Crtl etc are, ADD scroll down to my Throttle, and pressed button 15, red button. Allocated it, then cleared out the entry in Adjust Controls and put the new, button3 & Castle up. Opened the F-15E , Made sure I'm NOT in AA mode and it worked!

THANK YOU. Its when you said are you using modifiers, it made me think what had I NOT tried.:thumbup:

Just something to check…if you still hold the modifier then no other button will work unless that button+modifier is also bound. This confused me a lot at first. Maybe it’s not releasing the modifier quickly enough for your up press? I tried and I can’t push the castle, release the paddle and push up all in one go…my hands are just too slow…
But by adding up in both modified and I modified version to the bind it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/23/2023 at 5:50 PM, AhSoul said:

You don't hold it down and then flick up. You press the castle hat in and release, then immediately press up and release.

Just Like AhSoul says. Had a little trouble figuring it out, the Tutorial kind of leads you to belive Up has to be pressed while still holding Press. (Using TM F-18 Stick)

Edited by lxsapper

Glad to see it has caused confusion, i.e. It's not just me getting senile, I found Throttle Button 15 (RED) works for me, and my long fingers, Pusfh Red&Castle up - release, both buttons -  Castle up....and it worked!

Edited by flyingscotsman
addition

10 hours ago, flyingscotsman said:

Hi GrEaSeLiTeNiN, 

You did it! The penny dropped. I've just gone back to Adjust Controls, Modifiers and then, Left side, where Crtl etc are, ADD scroll down to my Throttle, and pressed button 15, red button. Allocated it, then cleared out the entry in Adjust Controls and put the new, button3 & Castle up. Opened the F-15E , Made sure I'm NOT in AA mode and it worked!

THANK YOU. Its when you said are you using modifiers, it made me think what had I NOT tried.:thumbup:

Glad to have helped. The previous behaviour you described seemed like a 'Switch' which changes the state (shifted) until you press the assigned switch button again. With a Modifier, the shift is in effect only when you hold the assigned modifier button down. 'Shift' was the term used in the other unnamable s_m but here they call it a modifier. I have never used a Switch before. The Apache controls (front and back flight controls + LHG & RHG) were all mappable to my warthog hotas with just one modifier layer. Should be the same with the WSO controls but I have yet to map them. 

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1