SnapViews - View angle reset

_SteelFalcon_

41 minutes ago, virgo47 said:

OK, a little addendum... I reset my default view (with RAlt+Num0) and it seems to work... Does it mean that default views for all the planes "just" need to be re-stored? Other stored snap views actually work fine.

Even after DCS restart the default view re-set for L-39C seems to work fine - even right after the start. But if anything was fixed (because something definitely changed!) I didn't see any "default", "view" or "FOV" mentioned in the release notes.

keybind didnt do anything for me. i even put it on a different keybind (without using any modifier like alt or ctrl or anyhing), it never saves anything (in the viper).

edit for the ones that have similar issues:

i went into Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View and opened "snapview.lua".

then i deleted the whole section of the aircraft i had issues with, only then opened the game and wanted to set the view the way i like it agian. funny enough that worked.

after closing the game again, the newly set values can be found agian in the snapview.lua. 

image.png

edit 2; the culprit seems to be the line "ViewAngleVertical". "snapview.lua" files from older DCS versions (under savedgames) had a value of 0 - which somehow with one of the recent updates seem to cause the "zoomed out" view.  where as the new settings i got from deleting everything first puts it at a value of 60 in my case..

image.png

Edited by Moonshine
  • Thanks 1

I went over the planes I fly most at this moment (L-39, F-86 and some FC3 ones) and reset the default view for them (press View Center, move/zoom the view as required, then Save Cockpit Angles). All the default views on these planes were saved correctly and seem to work the next time I enter the plane. View Center and Zoom normal also work as expected after I change the direction or zoom.

After that, I just copied the view [13] to [14] as well, so I have the same default with head-tracking and I was done. I tested the Zoom Normal, works fine. Recentering the head-tracking puts me into the default view direction, also works fine.

So the transition is annoying, but afterwards it works with or without head-tracking - at least on my end.

I hope it will last longer than to another update. 🙂

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR 
▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube
🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

Current OB 2.9.2.49629 (MT)
Tested just now with TrackIR in the Hornet, Viper, Apache, Huey and Hercules (Mod)

Paused TrackIR before entering mission or server, adjusted my view with the "Zoom In" and "Cockpit Camera ..." functions and saved with "Save Cockpit Angles".
When entering SP missions or a MP server (or reslotting on server) the saved initial view is displayed correctly again!

For me it's working again like in the past ❤️

Edited by boerdi
  • Like 1

My 'fix' no longer works. This makes me wonder if the original behavior I expect was a bug all along, and what I thought was the 'default zoom' was something else.

In the past, when I first get into an aircraft, the view is zoomed out to show the whole cockpit. When I pressed Zoom Normal for the first time, the view reset to a closer zoom level, typically with just the HUD and top level of cockpit instruments visible.

Now, pressing Zoom Normal has no effect, as if there is one and only one initial and default zoom level, which is typically too zoomed out for normal flight for me.

I don't use SnapViews or any custom view settings.

22 minutes ago, DimSim said:

My 'fix' no longer works. This makes me wonder if the original behavior I expect was a bug all along, and what I thought was the 'default zoom' was something else.

In the past, when I first get into an aircraft, the view is zoomed out to show the whole cockpit. When I pressed Zoom Normal for the first time, the view reset to a closer zoom level, typically with just the HUD and top level of cockpit instruments visible.

Now, pressing Zoom Normal has no effect, as if there is one and only one initial and default zoom level, which is typically too zoomed out for normal flight for me.

I don't use SnapViews or any custom view settings.

I believe the Zoom Normal (default) and the initial one should be the same - determined by the default view (13 or 14 depending on head-tracking or VR on/off). That makes sense, but the initial view was broken for some time, and Zoom Normal was broken until the first snap view (or some other tricks, I don't know) was used. Now it works as I'd expect the game to work. Zoom Normal is consistent and the initial zoom is the same.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR 
▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube
🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

21 hours ago, Moonshine said:

keybind didnt do anything for me. i even put it on a different keybind (without using any modifier like alt or ctrl or anyhing), it never saves anything (in the viper).

edit for the ones that have similar issues:

i went into Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View and opened "snapview.lua".

then i deleted the whole section of the aircraft i had issues with, only then opened the game and wanted to set the view the way i like it agian. funny enough that worked.

after closing the game again, the newly set values can be found agian in the snapview.lua. 

image.png

edit 2; the culprit seems to be the line "ViewAngleVertical". "snapview.lua" files from older DCS versions (under savedgames) had a value of 0 - which somehow with one of the recent updates seem to cause the "zoomed out" view.  where as the new settings i got from deleting everything first puts it at a value of 60 in my case..

image.png

This did solve it for me too.

VFOV before the change was stuck at 0.00
Backed up the file, deleted the whole F-16C_50 section from Snapviews.lua, started game, upon spawn, the default view is shown. saved the default view, closed the game, checked snapviews.lua in the dcs.openbeta -> config folder under savedgames, replaced all but the first 2 lines of the snapview 13 with the backed up ones, saved, started up the game again and all i had to do was to re-save my desired zoom level.

First 2 lines (FOV and VFOV) got the proper values now again and the view upon spawning in is finally there instantly.

Edited by _SteelFalcon_

• ED Team

Please confirm you are using this method 

1. Press and release desired combo for some snap-view (for example {LWin + Num5} ) - 'save snapview mode' turned ON
  2. Set desired view using cockpit camera control (or mouse)
  3. Now press {RAlt + Num0} - it saves view tuned on Step 2 bound to combo selected on Step 1

This works. Now you can use {LWin + Num5} in this mission as well as any other in the same A/C. User snap saved in 'Saved Games\DCS OB\Config\View\SnapViews.lua' and you can use it after restart. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

18 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please confirm you are using this method 

1. Press and release desired combo for some snap-view (for example {LWin + Num5} ) - 'save snapview mode' turned ON
  2. Set desired view using cockpit camera control (or mouse)
  3. Now press {RAlt + Num0} - it saves view tuned on Step 2 bound to combo selected on Step 1

This works. Now you can use {LWin + Num5} in this mission as well as any other in the same A/C. User snap saved in 'Saved Games\DCS OB\Config\View\SnapViews.lua' and you can use it after restart. 

This method doesn't work for thing we have problem with.

It doesn't set the desired FOV value for options [13] / [14] in SnapViews.lua - which are default view for head tracker users and VR users (the one that allows us to look freely in the cockpit)

Values for default view that I've manually set in SnapViews.lua (60.0 degrees) are still ignored by DCS and it remains 78.8 degrees after pressing key binded to ZoomNormal.

Also, as I see others mentioning viewAngleVertical, it really seems to be the reason why it didn't work.
It was absent in settings untill recent patch. And it doesn't look like RAlt+Num0 (save cockpit angles) can influence it.
But changing viewAngleVertical to appropriate value 35.983398 worked... which I calculated for my 60.000000 degrees horizontal FOV for 16:9 screen with some basic math.

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

Thanks for posting Quetzalkoatl I will ask the team to take another look at this. 

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I've had/still have the same problem.

By the looks of it the latest patch introduced this viewAngleVertical which is set to 0.000000 and it seems as long as the default view has this is set to 0, it messes things up.

When you enter a certain aircraft the first time since the last update, your default view is zoomed out by too much. All you have to do now is zoom back in to where you want it to be and save the default view with {RAlt + Num0}. After that, all seems to be perfect, like it was before this bug was introduced. I have tested it with the Spit and F-16 so far. All other SnapViews don't seem to be affected by this and do not need to be redone.

All I wish now is that it would set this on all other aircraft to the appropriate level automatically so I do not have to set this manually for all.

• Like 5

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, virgo47 said:

don't know exactly how the Config/View might appear in the mission, but it is quite regular stuff in user files, and it's good to know that it is easy to fix with MIZ being just a ZIP file. 

If the mission creator uses the FLIGHT / PREPARE MISSION feature of the mission editor then a copy of snapviews.lua gets added to the mission. And then if you create another mission by editing that one the file is inherited. There may be other ways this could happen, but that's the only one I've found.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals