C-101 vs L-39

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

I am enjoying both MB-399 and Mirage F1 a lot, a whole dang lot!

So before F-4E came out, which one of the captioned be better?

Thank you.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

both are good, as it the mb-339

trainers are kinda pointless in DCS, but all three are well made

c101 takes a *lot* of runway to take off

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I treat them as light ground attack / support which I suspect the A-1 Skyraider would be in. However, they are lighter, faster, more agile than the A-1 so either one I am asking would be  great too.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I enjoy both, both are very well made. I would say main difference is C-101 has NATO instruments logic when L-39 has Soviet/Warsaw Pact one, since both were used as trainers in two respective blocks.

Edited by bies
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Disagree. Light attack is cool, awesome and fun.

Amen! They are good fun to fly and a challenge to kill stuff with.

I've only tried them on the trials, but the I like the L-39 a bit more. I like the MB-339 the most but I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

L-39 if you like ex-soviet avionics & instrumentation.  C-101 if you prefer the western stuff.  I have to say the L-39 module feels quite dated compared with the excellent MB-339.  I don't have the C-101, but it is also 7-8 years old now.

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

My gripe is that the excellent MB-339A does not feature any A2A capability.

You should be able to use a free trial and test them both out. I'm partial to the L-39 due to having spent some much time photographing them, I also have 2 photo flights in that type. From the backseat the DCS version feels spot on.

C-101 is also a great plane to fly around, but to me the weapons system of the L-39ZA to kind of clunky, and it is something that I always have to re-read the manual on using those features. On the other side I don't know that I have used the weapons much on C-101. 

www.tomhedlund.com

Modules: A-10C, A-10CII. F-16, AV8B, F-5E, F-14, F/A-18C, P-51, BF-109, F-86, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mig-15, Mig-21, YAK-52, L-39.

Maps: NTTR, PG, Normandy. Syria...

Others: Super Carrier, WWII Asset Pack

In the end, it's down to what experience you're in for. I love trainers, so I have all of them (still missing the Saab, though).

The L-39 is a bit more of a tractor (in both good and bad ways) and it comes with that same appeal as an AK and the Mi-8 are coming with. Solid and dependable Eastern Block hardware that has seen action all over the world. In relative terms and focussing on the handling itself, the L-39 is the hardest trainer to fly with it's lively pitch behaviour.

To me, the C-101 is by far the most refined module of the three and even though the jet is the least perfoming, it flies the nicest and the module itself has the most features. Like the GPU that you already know from the F1. You can also actually grill the motor. I also like the pedal shakers.

• Like 2

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

15 hours ago, Lace said:

I don't have the C-101, but it is also 7-8 years old now.

yes, but did you know that over its lifetime the C-101 has been upgraded twice? .. first it got new cockpit and fuselage nose 3d-models, and the second one gave her a much improved EFM and a second variant, the C-101CC in addition to the original EB

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

12 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

yes, but did you know that over its lifetime the C-101 has been upgraded twice? .. first it got new cockpit and fuselage nose 3d-models, and the second one gave her a much improved EFM and a second variant, the C-101CC in addition to the original EB

I really thought I would enjoy the C-101 more, but after the free trials and I found the L-39 to be more fun. Obviously personal preference.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I did not, thanks for point that out.  I might give it a trial.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

47 minutes ago, Lace said:

I did not, thanks for point that out.  I might give it a trial.

Kind of a bummer, my free trial for the L-39 and C-101 both come up in a month but the sale ends in two-weeks. I'd like to give them both a go once more before (maybe) dropping some cash. Maybe watch the Grim Reapers module reviews of both again.

14 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'd like to give them both a go once more before (maybe) dropping some cash.

they are both 60% off … seems a pretty good deal either of them 🙂 

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

8 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

In the end, it's down to what experience you're in for. I love trainers, so I have all of them (still missing the Saab, though).

The L-39 is a bit more of a tractor (in both good and bad ways) and it comes with that same appeal as an AK and the Mi-8 are coming with. Solid and dependable Eastern Block hardware that has seen action all over the world. In relative terms and focussing on the handling itself, the L-39 is the hardest trainer to fly with it's lively pitch behaviour.

To me, the C-101 is by far the most refined module of the three and even though the jet is the least perfoming, it flies the nicest and the module itself has the most features. Like the GPU that you already know from the F1. You can also actually grill the motor. I also like the pedal shakers.

The C-101 has decent performance if you take less fuel. It was designed for much longer range than the other two. The engine is also more fuel efficient.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OpticFlow said:

The C-101 has decent performance if you take less fuel. It was designed for much longer range than the other two. The engine is also more fuel efficient.

That's a real good point. I think the C-101 has almost twice the amount of fuel as the L-39.

The Albatros has tip-tanks and was in James Bond, though, which gives it nutnfancy "first kind of cool" appeal. 😎

Srsly @VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants: Get both of them 😆

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 3

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Off-topic: nobody here like dark hair...

13 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

brunette means a dark-haired woman 🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

We have the C-101 - the blonde, the L-39 - the brunette, and the MB-339 - the redhead.

If asked which one you would like to have, the proper response, of course, is: "yes please". 

• Like 3

On 9/3/2023 at 12:26 PM, Beirut said:

We have the C-101 - the blonde, the L-39 - the brunette, and the MB-339 - the redhead.

If asked which one you would like to have, the proper response, of course, is: "yes please". 

You choose the C-101 to be se*ier than the L-39? 😛
After I re-bought the Kamov now and enjoy the Hind so much, I need to fly the L-39 every now and then.

• Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman