next OB update speculation

giullep

• ED Team

I do not have a date to share currently, please keep an eye on the patch status post linked in my signature below. 

We continue testing 2.9 for now, when we have news we will share it. 

thank you

edit: threads merged

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, linside said:

Everyone is expecting DSLL and Vulcan... If they arrive it will be wonderful otherwise it will be a disappointment... 

This is reality

I would expect DLSS and Vulcan to be in 3.0 and not 2.9.

• Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I would expect DLSS and Vulcan to be in 3.0 and not 2.9.
Think your aim is too low. Why would Vulkan come in another version of DCS than MT?
I assume that MT, Vulkan and DLSS will be released and tested before new features will be released in 3.0
My opinion anyway.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm still hoping we'll get the ability to have mobile A.I. truck/trailer combo vehicles eventually.

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

Here's my stab in the dark:

Vulcan - Unlikely - I would have thought Vulcan would be a significant version such as 3.0.  

DLSS - Hopeful. I say this because I recall the 2023 & Beyond video mentioned "Made with DLSS". So I'm really hoping that this (and some other GPU enhancements) will be here, even if not Vulkan. But then I'm reminded that some other & Beyond video's had some units that we didn't see at all that following year, so don't know. I know it's been a focus.

Supercarrier - Likely. I think in a recent thread there were requests and concerns about the supercarrier and upcoming features of more deck personelle. IIRC - BigNewy said to wait and see what was released in 2.9, so my guess is that it's very likely we're going to see something new hear. Briefing room and elevators maybe, or maybe something else?

CH-47 Chinook - Likely. Oh, this would be amazing, but I'm joking. I think this is Unlikely, but my ever-ending hope goes "Maybe ED don't want to give discounts for this one and will bypass the pre-order sale and release it directly". My pragmatic logic then hits me around the head until I'm nearly knocked out and says "Don't be stupid".  Plus, Wags hasn't released any video's, and that would go against their SOP.

C130 Herc  . Same wishful hoping as the CH-47 Chinook that there would be a surprise announcement, but all things tell me the F4 is probably coming first. But, unlike the CH-47 which is ED's pet project, we have nothing to go by on how the C130 company operates. Maybe they do things differently to others and it will just be a sudden "Here it is - Christmas in September". 

F4 - Not Yet - but I think it might be close to release. Maybe 2.9 has things that the F4 requires before release and as soon as 2.9 goes out we'll see pre-orders available? That's my guess. There's possibly a push to have it released for Christmas, so I could hazard a guess that maybe 2.9 may have something to do with it's features.

Dynamic Campaign Engine / Mission Enhancements - Maybe? This would be sweet. There was a video of Wag's back quite some time ago that appeared to leak an additional 'menu option' in it that may have been related to the Dynamic Campaign Engine. However it's gone very quiet since. Being more realistic - I'm really hoping if we don't get the DCE, that we at least get some features that would be working it's way towards the DCE that we can use now. My desire to spawn FARPS in dynamically wherever the players may build them, and have dynamic spawn points being able to be created through script on the fly has been a dream. However there's been no chatter of this, nor DCE, so I think this might go back to my pragmatic consciousness taking another batman-slap at my hopeful face.

Weather - Hopeful. There's been no hints here like DLSS or SC, but it's been a while since I think we've seen any updates with the weather system. Thunderstorms would be fantastic to have - as would different weather over different parts of the map, such as a weather front coming through, or similar. 

Return to more regular Stable Release cycles - Unlikely. What I'm suspicious of regarding our observations with fewer SR and OB releases is maybe ED throwing their hands up in the air, and going "if our customers don't understand the difference between BETA vs a Stable release, and treat Beta expectations as Stable with Stable expectations - then if we can't beat them, we'll join them. And... they've just changed their logic so that OPEN BETA's release cycle is held back until more bugs have been fixed frist. They then maybe release a handful of stable releases for the "Very Stable". Thus Open Beta has become the equivalent of what Stable used to be, and Stable has become less of a release with the hope for it to be more stable than before. 

Full Globe / Earth - Unlikely. I see this is as been a 3.0 major release, or if not, a 4.0 release. However - there may be more pressure on with this. In the past there was a handful of terrains available and I think the majority of multiplayer users probably owned most if not all. (After all, it was only NTTP and Persia). With the significant increase in more MAPS, sales could be waning due to too many selections, and groups going "Well, less than half is willing to buy <xxx> map, so there's no point creating a mission for it". Having full earth would mean that us server mission creators could create these, and go "everyone can play". Those with the map get nice pretties, and those without can fly it with bland scenery. The simple fact that those missions would be up may encourage more people to fork out $'s for those new terrains. 

Hidden Easter Egg for Christmas. -Possibly. 😉  (Or maybe it's already been there and I missed it last Christmas)?

What else could there be to make it significant enough to call it a more major 2.9 release?

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 5

• ED Team

There is no patch this week, we continue to test 2.9 internally. 

thank you

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

There is no patch this week, we continue to test 2.9 internally. 

Thanks for the clarification. But can't you let something slip, just something little as to what we might expect? 2.9 seems like a significant version increment. 😉

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1

• ED Team
Just now, Dangerzone said:

Thanks for the clarification. But can't you let something slip, just something little as to what we might expect? 2.9 seems like a significant version increment. 😉

We will share more detail when we are ready, hopefully something for the newsletter. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

We will share more detail when we are ready, hopefully something for the newsletter. 

Sweet and thanks.. Can't blame a bloke for trying. 😉

I realise for decades now (ever since I was no longer a kid), Christmas has lost it's edge when it comes to "what's coming'. I haven't really had that sort of excitement until I started getting involved with DCS. You guys have brought back my childhood experiences. 🤣  (And yes, I was one of those kids that would go and lift and shake his present to try and figure out what it was). 

• Like 3

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Sweet and thanks.. Can't blame a bloke for trying. 😉

I realise for decades now (ever since I was no longer a kid), Christmas has lost it's edge when it comes to "what's coming'. I haven't really had that sort of excitement until I started getting involved with DCS. You guys have brought back my childhood experiences. 🤣  (And yes, I was one of those kids that would go and lift and shake his present to try and figure out what it was). 

I am nearly 50, live in the now, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we have already, less stress 🙂

• Like 13

On 9/28/2023 at 7:54 AM, Dangerzone said:

Briefing room and elevators maybe, or maybe something else?

Briefing room was supposed to wait for Vulkan first. Elevators already work. SC is likely to get new directors and brown shirts for now.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:54 AM, Dangerzone said:

Vulcan - Unlikely - I would have thought Vulcan would be a significant version such as 3.0.  

We already have Vulcan in many aircraft, M163 and Phalanx.

All in all I'd expect long list of fixes but nothing earthshaking this time. Version is just a number.

• Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 9/28/2023 at 5:58 AM, BIGNEWY said:

I am nearly 50, live in the now, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we have already, less stress 🙂

i am nearly 50 as well.. 48...

wow. i mean i still feel 38...

there was a time when there was no in game multiplayer browser, and we had to use hyperlobby..

lately i been learning the tomcat. totally enjoying the moment.

50 is a scary number! 

• Like 3

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

do we know what makes a dcs patch as like 2.9 from 2.8.xyzxyz? I mean these numbers right after the decimals mean something significant? 

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, ebabil said:

do we know what makes a dcs patch as like 2.9 from 2.8.xyzxyz? I mean these numbers right after the decimals mean something significant? 

usually relates to internal version changes 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ebabil said:

For me it seems that ED's previous strategy was to change one sub-sub version up (like 2.8.7 to 2.8.8) when having around 1000 of difference in build numbers (like having 2.8.1.34437 Open Beta as the first 2.8.1, while the first 2.8.2 was DCS 2.8.2.35632 Open Beta).

It was not unusual to have the sub-sub verion higher than 9 before (like 2.7.18.30765 Open Beta), while it also happened that a massive step taken up from 2.5.6 directly to 2.7.0 (2.5.6.61527.3 Open Beta to 2.7.0.4625 Open Beta). In that particular case the change was huge, as stated in the changelog back then: "...We are pleased to share our latest update to DCS World Open Beta and the substantial range of new features and improvements that are included. Some of the highlights are new cloud technology, new piston engine propeller technology and a wide array of new features for the Hornet and Viper."

So my best bet also would be great changes in 2.9

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

For me it seems that ED's previous strategy was to change one sub-sub version up (like 2.8.7 to 2.8.8) when having around 1000 of difference in build numbers (like having 2.8.1.34437 Open Beta as the first 2.8.1, while the first 2.8.2 was DCS 2.8.2.35632 Open Beta).
It was not unusual to have the sub-sub verion higher than 9 before (like 2.7.18.30765 Open Beta), while it also happened that a massive step taken up from 2.5.6 directly to 2.7.0 (2.5.6.61527.3 Open Beta to 2.7.0.4625 Open Beta). In that particular case the change was huge, as stated in the changelog back then: "...We are pleased to share our latest update to DCS World Open Beta and the substantial range of new features and improvements that are included. Some of the highlights are new cloud technology, new piston engine propeller technology and a wide array of new features for the Hornet and Viper."
So my best bet also would be great changes in 2.9
Yup! Some are listed here. You were correct. No Vulkan, but DLSS.

Cheers!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forum.dcs.world/topic/334453-dcs-newsletter-discussion-29th-september-2023-dcs-29-sneak-peak-multiplayer-development-progress-b-17g-livery-contest-winners/&share_tid=334453&share_fid=74365&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2.9, 3.0, no mattah. Vulkan and even more emphasis on paying the technological debt. Everything else is just white noise. Or shadow shimmering 😉 Feature creep turns great projects into ArmA 3.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucic said:

2.9, 3.0, no mattah. Vulkan and even more emphasis on paying the technological debt. Everything else is just white noise. Or shadow shimmering 😉 Feature creep turns great projects into ArmA 3.

You can't feature creep DCS. It can take it all! :thumbup:

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

12 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Vulkan is the ultimate goal, but it seems 2.9 will bring more rewrites, and hopefully some more technical debt paid off. Plus, updated models are always nice, those aircraft getting replaced were long overdue.

I'm just going to sit back and watch the B-52s and B-1Bs take off and land. 

Definitely better than what's on TV these days.

• Like 6

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 9/29/2023 at 1:48 PM, ebabil said:

2.           8.          xyzxyz   abcabc

MAJOR MINOR PATCH    BUILD

This gives you an idea as to the rationale. https://semver.org/

Major, Minor and Patch (2, 8 and 1, respectively) will be selected manually to signify the next revision of a binary or application. Build will be automatically generated to represent the build, that is the automated compilation of source code to the application binary itself.

Basically, each increment to the Minor version (.8) takes us a step closer to the major version of 3.

Edited by ColinM9991
  • Like 2