next OB update speculation

giullep

Don't hold your breath. It's potentially weeks away, unless you take this to mean the fix mentioned here won't make it into 2.9: 

There are two scenarios we're looking at: 2.9 release is so far away we might have to wait up to 6 weeks for it. The other is that 2.9 is circa two weeks away, and the next OB update (a month from that point) should contain the fix. Either way, we'll be playing the waiting game for a while longer.

12 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Don't hold your breath. It's potentially weeks away, unless you take this to mean the fix mentioned here won't make it into 2.9: 

There are two scenarios we're looking at: 2.9 release is so far away we might have to wait up to 6 weeks for it. The other is that 2.9 is circa two weeks away, and the next OB update (a month from that point) should contain the fix. Either way, we'll be playing the waiting game for a while longer.

I don't think they postpone it so much just because of one module that has a bug with it's tcs/lantirn pod. They need feedback of dlss from wider audience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blinde said:

I don't think they postpone it so much just because of one module that has a bug with it's tcs/lantirn pod.

It's the other way around, ED won't release a hotfix just because of this bug. HB had already fixed it, and they pushed the fix to ED. However, it'll only come out when the next OB does, which is clearly quite a ways away. Hence, this message can be used to infer some timeframes for the big release. 

16 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It's the other way around, ED won't release a hotfix just because of this bug. HB had already fixed it, and they pushed the fix to ED. However, it'll only come out when the next OB does, which is clearly quite a ways away. Hence, this message can be used to infer some timeframes for the big release. 

It's not. It's written there "Note that it could take up to 4-6 weeks" .
It could. You read this as a statement in regards to the way we have to go for the next OB patch. That's okay.
But it could be read as a statement about the implementing and testing cycles in general as well. 

So, nothings clearly here for me. 

Edited by SteelPig

32 minutes ago, SteelPig said:

So, nothings clearly here for me. 

Read the whole post again. It's already implemented and submitted. I highly doubt that a bugfix like this would have a 4 week testing cycle. What is likely it that depends on other changes which do have such a long cycle. Such as, for instance, changes to MT code that go with DLSS implementation.

Of course, it's not a clear indication, they wouldn't openly state a release date for ED's patch. However, this allows us to narrow it down. It's fairly obvious that this fix will be in an OB release, and given the normal release cadence, it's either in the one that's overdue now, or the next patch after that.

17 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Read the whole post again. It's already implemented and submitted. I highly doubt that a bugfix like this would have a 4 week testing cycle. What is likely it that depends on other changes which do have such a long cycle. Such as, for instance, changes to MT code that go with DLSS implementation.

Of course, it's not a clear indication, they wouldn't openly state a release date for ED's patch. However, this allows us to narrow it down. It's fairly obvious that this fix will be in an OB release, and given the normal release cadence, it's either in the one that's overdue now, or the next patch after that.

I did. And in the end all we do is to speculate. So,nothing is clear like you said. That's my point

Edited by SteelPig

• ED Team

Hi all, 

there is no patch this week, our work on 2.9 continues, testing and merging features and fixes. 

thank you for being patient. 

• Like 10

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

there is no patch this week, our work on 2.9 continues, testing and merging features and fixes. 

A mercy update! 😉 I don't know about others but I'd really appreciate making it part of the Patch Status topic in the future.

• Like 2

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, Bucic said:

A mercy update! 😉 I don't know about others but I'd really appreciate making it part of the Patch Status topic in the future.

Added to post under the status. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My heart shipped a heart beat on the BE’s post on Patch Status…My system is ready, also for the benchmarking. Bring it on!

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

Thank you for keeping us in the loop BN. This is very much appreciated. Fingers crossed for next week then and good luck with all this testing…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not a big fan of the new large updates with months in between. One aircraft in the early phase of open beta are not getting the updates they need and two if you break the game with all the big changes it could take awhile to track down. Mostly one is my main reason. I’m assuming you have a reason this time. But I hope this is not the new norm. 

• ED Team

threads merged

3 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

I’m not a big fan of the new large updates with months in between. One aircraft in the early phase of open beta are not getting the updates they need and two if you break the game with all the big changes it could take awhile to track down. Mostly one is my main reason. I’m assuming you have a reason this time. But I hope this is not the new norm. 

We have to take our time with testing 2.9 so you will need to be patient. 

thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 38 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

threads merged

thank you

From what I understood there are quite considerable updates/changes coming for the core engine. So thorough testing and making sure, things run smooth, especially with merging all patches and fixes of recent modules is paramount.

I think it is better to wait a little bit and then be able to enjoy a decent build, rather than a rushed release with modules broken or other issues that severely impact gameplay.

Appreciate the updates and Infos, though. 😇

• Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Oh yeah, patience. We're known for that. 😄

At least we get to blow **** up in the meantime. 

I can flare an F-16 in beautifully even when I do overhead breaks at mach 1.25 now.  It's not quite as graphic as blowing asterisks up, but it's kinda fun.  Still working on refueling the Air Force way; I totally get where people complain about the visibility of the lights on the KC-135.  New and shiny stuff?  I'll be long dead of old age before I can master all the old and dirty stuff.

Of course I still have to go do carrier ops and refuel my F-18 to keep the muscle memory.  I still tap in too much throttle to taxi the F-16 because it takes off where the F-18 grudgingly starts to roll...

In the mean time I'll try to remember to pitch a 4YO ASDL3 fit because $featureSet didn't get included in the goodie bag ED gives us when it arrives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

threads merged

thank you

I appreciate that, but that is also part of my concern. If there is an internal reason that 2.9 could not me piecemealed together over several updates then fine I get it. But releasing a very large update all at once, might cause several bugs to be introduced all at the same time. Again I as a consumer do not know if the larger less frequent patches are a new scheme for updating DCS of if there is something particular about this update. These are my concerns I am not the expert and I do look forward to trying 2.9 and eventually 3.0 and beyond. I also think I can speak for the majority of the community when I say I am glad to see the core getting improvements. I do hope all goes well once 2.9 is in the wild. 

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, FlankerKiller said:

I appreciate that, but that is also part of my concern. If there is an internal reason that 2.9 could not me piecemealed together over several updates then fine I get it. But releasing a very large update all at once, might cause several bugs to be introduced all at the same time. Again I as a consumer do not know if the larger less frequent patches are a new scheme for updating DCS of if there is something particular about this update. These are my concerns I am not the expert and I do look forward to trying 2.9 and eventually 3.0 and beyond. I also think I can speak for the majority of the community when I say I am glad to see the core getting improvements. I do hope all goes well once 2.9 is in the wild. 

Hey no problem you have your opinion, however the people who know best about the patch and what needs to happen are the project leads and the QA team. They are all working very hard at the moment. It will be worth the wait. 

thanks

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hey no problem you have your opinion,

Which may or may not get someone else’s thread locked for little or no reason. Nineline locked a perfectly decent thread the other day, apparently he could smell some beef in the air? Maybe lay off the red meat for a bit and open some windows mate, I couldn’t smell any in there and I’ve re-read the thread, still baffled by the padlock.

3 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I dont think you can speak for the community, if you read this thread most are understanding and know it can take time, it will be worth the wait. 

I don’t think he said he did, rather the part of the community that appreciates the core improvements. Same as I do. Surely most of us can see improvements take time and if we want them, we have to wait for them, fair enough. It’s common sense to me.