How to disable new “spotting dots” and revert to previous logic user can put “DotRendererExperiment = False” in autoexec.cfg file located in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\

CrazyGman

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Then create one...

Sigh...so I have to create the file from scratch and then put in the command myself...because putting a tick box in the settings menu was too inconvenient? So now if I want it the old way i'm guessing it's not going to pass the integrity check on multiplayer servers?

• ED Team

We are looking into the DotRendererExperiment = False as it does not seem to be working correctly. 

the team are aware. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@CrazyGmanTo each his own. Autoexec method has been used for years for enabling/disabling various WIP features which would otherwise clutter the already "crowded" menus even more and which are going to be used by only some players anyway.

Usually parameters set in the file pass the IC check, so you're free to try it. The jury is out, however, if the reverting method works at all. I, and couple of other players it seems, don't see any difference between using this line in autoexec and not.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

Sigh...so I have to create the file from scratch and then put in the command myself...because putting a tick box in the settings menu was too inconvenient? So now if I want it the old way i'm guessing it's not going to pass the integrity check on multiplayer servers?

1) the length of time to write your response took longer than to create the folder and the file 

2) AFIK anything in saved games passes IC

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Using DotRendererExperiment = False does not seem to affect my game.  Still got big spoldges for air and ground targets.

Lets hope this gets toned down, user selectable in the future.

• Like 1

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

I hope that ED remove it at all! Nobody is able to spot even a 747 at 10nm. DCS is called a simulator. This spot dot just turn it into an ace combat video game.

It should never had to be implemented.

Edited by Malamem
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Malamem said:

I hope that ED remove it at all! Nobody is able to spot even a 747 at 10nm. DCS is called a simulator. This spot dot just turn it into an ace combat video game.

I regulary see commercial airplanes in the hold at biggen hill which is approximatly 8nm from my position, they then fly the holding pattern that takes them further away from my position, the only time i have trouble seeing them is because of cloud or ground objects.

my eye sight is worse than 20 20

• Like 3

The problem in DCS always was that it was too hard to spot aircraft at closer range, say within 2nm, while the dots were spotable unrealistically at 50nm (if you knew where to look for them, i.e. with radar lock). Looks like this problem still wasn't adressed properly, but the original unrealistic spotting at distance was even made worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malamem said:

Guess what: IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SET-UP.  I'm on flat screen and I can just nicely make out an F-18 at 3 nm.  Before it was a challenge keep wing in view if they moved off any distance.  I think the new implementation needs to be better tweaked to take different resolutions etc into account, but it's definitely not terrible for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Guess what: IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SET-UP.  I'm on flat screen and I can just nicely make out an F-18 at 3 nm.  Before it was a challenge keep wing in view if they moved off any distance.  I think the new implementation needs to be better tweaked to take different resolutions etc into account, but it's definitely not terrible for everyone.

This, the idea is solid, the implementation needs work...

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

ED implementation of the new spotting system was from years of everyone complaining about spotting. now ED has taken a step to improve and everyone is complaining. i am sure it will improve.

Edited by silverdevil
  • Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

please fix this big bug. I fly with vr... big square everywhere

Screen_231101_150730.jpg

Edited by TCKnight

The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed in war.

www.69squadrone.it

[url="https://www.facebook.com/operationadriaticsea1[/url]

S.O: Win7 64bit,MB: ASUS Formula IV ,CPU: AMD 965BE 3.4 @ 4.0 + Corsair Hidro H70 ,GPU: sli 2xGainward 570GTX "Golden Sample" HTC, HD: Raptor 10.000 rpm 500gb,RAM: DDR3 Corsair Extreme 1800Mhz 12gb ,Accessories:TrackIR4 6DOF, Hotas Cougar mod cubby, pro pedals, mfd pack + samsung led 8".

Hotas Warthog serial 05629.

If I create a .txt file and rename it "autoexec.cfg" and then put one line in it that reads "DotRendererExperiment = False"

Is that enough to create a proper autoexec.cfg that I don't have originally in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\?

Edit...

I tried this and I did not see a difference.  I'm assuming I made the file correctly.

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

On 10/22/2023 at 7:13 AM, silverdevil said:

ED implementation of the new spotting system was from years of everyone complaining about spotting. now ED has taken a step to improve and everyone is complaining. i am sure it will improve.

I don’t think everyone complained about spotting. Certainly there will always be someone complaining about it. The current solution is hardly an improvement. 

What’s interesting is I recently flew with a totally new player online, in the previous 2.8 OB. We were just flying around randomly and again this player was a complete newbie. He had no trouble seeing me or keeling track of where I was. And he was using very basic hardware with no TrackIR or anything. Gee… 🤔

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t think everyone complained about spotting. Certainly there will always be someone complaining about it. The current solution is hardly an improvement. 
What’s interesting is I recently flew with a totally new player online, in the previous 2.8 OB. We were just flying around randomly and again this player was a complete newbie. He had no trouble seeing me or keeling track of where I was. And he was using very basic hardware with no TrackIR or anything. Gee… 🤔

Once again, you assume because you see it that way, everyone sees it the same way.  THEY DO NOT!  I am one of those who had trouble with seeing even wingmen when they went spread with the old system.  Now I can keep track of them.  In MY setup they aren't big blocks like some people are seeing, they are nice small/tiny objects that I can see at a reasonable distance (maybe a bit more than 10 nm for tankers).  THAT is why some people like the new system.  It is not broken, it needs tweaking for those who are getting the giant blocks that I'm not getting.

1 hour ago, Buzz313th said:

If I create a .txt file and rename it "autoexec.cfg" and then put one line in it that reads "DotRendererExperiment = False"

Is that enough to create a proper autoexec.cfg that I don't have originally in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\?

Edit...

I tried this and I did not see a difference.  I'm assuming I made the file correctly.

Currently a known and acknowledged by ED bug.  Adding that line does not do what it's supposed to do even if you have it correct.

EDIT: is there any way around replies being merged?  These 2 posts are on completely different topics, but the only way I can separate them (they get automatically merged even when I reply separately) is waiting 5 minutes or something between posting them 😒

Edited by rob10

12 minutes ago, rob10 said:

I am one of those who had trouble with seeing even wingmen when they went spread with the old system. 

This type of observation is only helped by screenshots etc. otherwise it’s just not possible to know what you’re referring to by “trouble seeing” or what I might mean by “giant blocks”. I did in fact post screenshots of what I’m seeing and I think most agree that these are too large. The new system appears to be nothing more than dot labels forced on. 

In 2.8 aircraft as close as your spread out wingmen are very easy for me to see. So I’d be curious to see a shot of what you’re experiencing as invisible wingmen. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

31 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Currently a known and acknowledged by ED bug.  Adding that line does not do what it's supposed to do even if you have it correct.

I saw the posts acknowledging that the line didn't work for some, so I figured maybe it might work on my system..  Which is why I gave it a try.

31 minutes ago, rob10 said:

In MY setup they aren't big blocks like some people are seeing, they are nice small/tiny objects that I can see at a reasonable distance

Are you on VR or a flat screen?

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)

4 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Flat screen.

What is your ingame screen resolution?

Your monitor size..  and

How far roughly is the monitor from you when playing?

Edited by Buzz313th

2 hours ago, rob10 said:

In MY setup they aren't big blocks like some people are seeing, they are nice small/tiny objects that I can see at a reasonable distance (maybe a bit more than 10 nm for tankers).

See for this discussion to have any validity you need to clearly describe the following:
Define “MY setup” ie List your specs.
What’s “small” or what’s the definition of “reasonable”? Keep in mind the real data for this indicates distances far far less then most players seem to believe.
Fyi my first screenshot shows a tanker easily totally visible at 22 miles. Is that “reasonable”? 
Without tracks or screenshots specifically describing what all these are, the discussion is rather pointless. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anybody been able to make this fix work. Me n a buddy fly in VR on Reverb G2’s and the spotting dots are stupid big and obnoxious. They show up around 30 miles out as a square that appears about 3/32” in our displays. Like I said, obnoxious. I did not have the autoexec.cfg file in the Config folder so I made a file from Notepad. All I did was copy and paste the “DotRendererExperiment = False” from the title of this thread, pasted it in the note and saved it as a .cfg file and placed it in the Config folder. Did I do it correctly?

Edited by RenegadeMech40
Format of text

On 12/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, RenegadeMech40 said:

Has anybody been able to make this fix work. Me n a buddy fly in VR on Reverb G2’s and the spotting dots are stupid big and obnoxious. They show up around 30 miles out as a square that appears about 3/32” in our displays. Like I said, obnoxious. I did not have the autoexec.cfg file in the Config folder so I made a file from Notepad. All I did was copy and paste the “DotRendererExperiment = False” from the title of this thread, pasted it in the note and saved it as a .cfg file and placed it in the Config folder. Did I do it correctly?

There’s a toggle setting in the Gameplay menu now for the Spotting Dots. Off reverts the setting back to the 2.8 method.