No catapult launch inless in full afterburner

bkthunder

So it looks like unless you are in full afterburner, it's not possible to salute and initiate the catapult launch. 

F-18s IRL did not usually need afterburner for take off. 

Also, once in full afterburner and the salute is given, you lose control of the throttle until after you are airborne, and for a few seconds after than.
This can't be right.

Edited by bkthunder
  • Like 2

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

7 minutes ago, bkthunder said:

F-18s IRL did not usually need afterburner for take off. 

IRL F18C above 45k lbs at Catapult launch, MAX power is the only option

1 hour ago, pokeraccio said:

IRL F18C above 45k lbs at Catapult launch, MAX power is the only option

Yes, above 45k. in DCS at any weight you are now it forces you to be in full AB. I don't know where this idiotic idea came from, but I sure hope it's changed back to what it was.

Edited by bkthunder
  • Like 2

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

6 hours ago, bkthunder said:

Yes, above 45k. in DCS at any weight you are now it forces you to be in full AB. I don't know where this idiotic idea came from, but I sure hope it's changed back to what it was.

Sure seems like an issue in our DCS F18… I was just pointing out the IRL use of MAX.

about DCS I don’t know if it is something they reported like a know issue, I didn’t try to change the special options:

DCS: F/A-18C by Eagle Dynamics

• Added New pilot model from first person (Work in progress). Known issues: The salute command doesn't work when using option Afterburner detent.

16 hours ago, pokeraccio said:

Sure seems like an issue in our DCS F18… I was just pointing out the IRL use of MAX.

about DCS I don’t know if it is something they reported like a know issue, I didn’t try to change the special options:

DCS: F/A-18C by Eagle Dynamics

• Added New pilot model from first person (Work in progress). Known issues: The salute command doesn't work when using option Afterburner detent.

Well.  Pfft.  Non issue then.  I read that line and for some reason 'afterburner detent' option didn't click.  Blowers off the deck it is for now!

Probably some stupid regulation forced down by the Air Boss because he thinks burners look pretty off the end of the deck while his penguin butt is bolted to that chair.

I don't use afterburner detent (it's set to "Always off" in special options.
So that doesn't solve it, unless I didn't get what you mean

11 minutes ago, bkthunder said:

I don't use afterburner detent (it's set to "Always off" in special options.
So that doesn't solve it, unless I didn't get what you mean

The way I read the original 2.9 changelog was that if you had this option ON you couldn't salute.  I got launched no problem Tuesday in MP without burners.  Today after the hotfix in SP I need to be in burner to get launched.  Not sure what intended behaviour is, but currently you need to be in burner. 🤨

4 hours ago, Raisuli said:

Probably some stupid regulation forced down by the Air Boss because he thinks burners look pretty off the end of the deck while his penguin butt is bolted to that chair.

😀😂

Same issue for me. Gross weight 34000lbs, afterburner detent special setting "Always OFF" and can't launch without burner.

Edited by Willdass

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

Added New pilot model from first person (Work in progress). Known issues: The salute command doesn't work when using option Afterburner detent.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

9 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

The problem is that even without the Afterburner Detent option checked (which is what this changlog appears to refer to), you now need to be in AB to launch.  I've never used the AB Detent and I've never needed to use AB to launch (i.e. I could salute and launch in MIL power) until after the latest hotfix.  Now it won't acknowledge salute unless I am in AB.

6 hours ago, rob10 said:

The problem is that even without the Afterburner Detent option checked (which is what this changlog appears to refer to), you now need to be in AB to launch.  I've never used the AB Detent and I've never needed to use AB to launch (i.e. I could salute and launch in MIL power) until after the latest hotfix.  Now it won't acknowledge salute unless I am in AB.

Ah. Got you! Well at least ED knows about it and hopefully they are going to find the fix, at some point. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

You used to be able to take off with full MIL, I take it this is no longer the case? (I haven't played since the update)

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

No - salute won't work until you go full AB with the latest OB.

Thanks!

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Not only that, but the throttle is literally locked at full AB from the moment you salute to a couple of seconds after you clear the deck. You lose all control of it. 
It's a bit like an arcade game now. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:33 PM, bkthunder said:

Not only that, but the throttle is literally locked at full AB from the moment you salute to a couple of seconds after you clear the deck. You lose all control of it. 
It's a bit like an arcade game now. 

Hardly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Once on the catapult I usually:

1) go MIL
2) do the surface checks 
3) salute
4) go to AB before the launch

After the patch, the throttle get stuck at the MIL after I salute and I cannot move it to AB, The opposite is also true (AB>MIL if you fancy to do so).

Does anybody have the same problem?

Thank you!

P.S. I have a button assigned to the AB detent 

To be a bit more specific:

1) My default setting is AB Detent OFF
2) Once I get the command to run up the engines, I go to MIL
3) I do my control checks
4) Salute
5) Activate AB Detent with the assigned button
6) The throttle gets stuck at MIL and I cannot move it to AB (I cannot even move it backwards)

Once airborne, I'm able to move the throttle and the AB detent works as intended.

Edited by Tusky

I did some launches this A.M. from the Supercarrier with no issues. I have the AB detent OFF in options since I have a physical detent on my joystick.

MIL power + salute = take off in MIL

AB + salute = take off in AB

I presume the trick is that the salute has to be the last step before launch after you set MIL or AB, but that is the way I have always done it. I setup COMMS beforehand so it only requires pressing the F6 key. Set power, salute and I'm off.

Edited by Joch1955
  • Like 1