12.01.2024 - Vulkan Progress | DCS Core | DCS Modules

16 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I suspect the lower level of detail would work as a LOD for the upgraded ones. High detail units will not be useful to everyone, but I suppose I'd buy them because I like eyecandy. 🙂 

I like this solution. ArmA had used it already, and it worked fine. Many DCS players likely don't even have the hardware to run with full detail units. Those who want more will get more, and the others will be able to skip it. This is a good way to fund long overdue 3D model improvements.

I'm thinking it may be a good option for VR pilots - lower detail may equal better framerates, which equals better experience.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Out of interest p, which other sims use native voice recognition? 

To be honest, currently i can only think of one game that uses voice recognition natively, which is only a sim in the broader sense. It's called "tower! simulator". It does exactly what its name suggest and i think it's a bit boring, but voice rec works fine!
Mostly i use thrid-party voice recognition. For sim racing there is f.e. "crew chief", which interaces with the simulator to add a spotter and an interactive, fully voiced, race enginner. It has also built in voice recognition to interact with your engineer (or to simply bind keyboard macros). Works like a charm and is free. I think the voice rec component uses MS Windows functionality under the hood, but i'm not sure.

Edited by twistking

6 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

Out of interest p, which other sims use native voice recognition? 

Yep - something I've been on about for years now, and where imho all flight sims fall flat on their backsides. Voice control and interaction has been available to all for PC and PC gaming for over 10 years now, and an integral part of windows since Windows 7 iirc - I know it's extra work, but it's also the mutt's nuts.

First flight sim to do it in the base sim is going to be talked about all over the 'net.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
clarification
  • Like 2

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

17 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

I'm thinking it may be a good option for VR pilots - lower detail may equal better framerates, which equals better experience.

No, there is now the LOD slider in the options, which would be the better option for everyone chasing that sweet extra performance by reducing unit LOD 😉

That said, if the newly released AI assets are a sample of the low quality version, then they might be good enough for most VR players. You'd probably need a 4k monitor (or 4k headset💰) to really appreciate the high quality versions in actual gameplay.
By the way, is this actually confirmed? Are the newly released assets the "free" low LOD tier?

Edited by twistking
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Yep - something I've been on about for years now, and where imho all flight sims fall flat on their backsides. Voice control and interaction has been available to all for PC and PC gaming for over 10 years now, and an integral part of windows since Windows 7 iirc - I know it's extra work, but it's also the mutt's nuts.

First flight sim to do it in the base sim is going to be talked about all over the 'net.

I've used voice attack in dcs for years now. I don't use it for operating the aircraft. I only use it for centering vr and for communications. Sadly its rather complex using voice attack for dcs as the communications menu changes from aircraft to aircraft.

So it's hard to have universal setups.

So now I've mostly given up on that too. 

I recently got a completely different game running in VR, a tactical swat game. And having that in VR and using voice attack, is epic. Look at a door and say breach bang and clear. And your little AI minions will kick in the door, throw a flashbang and clear the room. But it only works since the dialogue tree is the same no matter what.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

6 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I've used voice attack in dcs for years now. I don't use it for operating the aircraft. I only use it for centering vr and for communications. Sadly its rather complex using voice attack for dcs as the communications menu changes from aircraft to aircraft.

So it's hard to have universal setups.

So now I've mostly given up on that too. 

I used dwVAC up until this year when I ran out of activations and now the site is closed along with the activation server (mainly due to Voice Attack's lower price). I also used it only for comms in DCS modules, though I used it for other things in Flaming Cliffs back when we didn't have more than the Ka50 and A-10C and I didn't have enough HOTAS buttons to cover all the actions. I had a separate profile for each DCS module, so wasn't an issue with different function keys. Of course for the dev implementing voice interaction it would be a non-issue as it would simply be part of making each new module.

As for FPS type games - I also used to use it for things like Doom3 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Sometimes I would press the wrong PTT button when online and give an instruction and my clan mates would be wondering what on earth I was on! 😁 They did find the notion really cool, though.

Kneeboard Guides

2 hours ago, Qcumber said:

Can anyone speculate on what advantages we can expect from Vulcan for VR? 

Single pass stereo would be both realistic and huge! I think currently DCS doesn't even do proper multi-pass and instead renders two cameras completely seperated (everything is calculated twice). At least that's the only way that i could explain the massive CPU overhead from VR.
Multi-pass would share some calculated data between each eye's pass, single-pass would render the whole scene in one single pass, theoretically reducing CPU overhead by a lot.

Edited by twistking
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, twistking said:

Single pass stereo would be both realistic and huge! I think currently DCS doesn't even do proper multi-pass and instead renders two cameras completely seperated (everything is calculated twice). At least that's the only way that i could explain the massive CPU overhead from VR.
Multi-pass would share some calculated data between each eye's pass, single-pass would render the whole scene in one single pass, theoretically reducing CPU overhead by a lot.

Thanks. So that could be a big difference for VR then? What sort of improvements could we see? I’m not fps obsessed. It’s more about resolution, motion artefacts and immersion. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

33 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Thanks. So that could be a big difference for VR then? What sort of improvements could we see? I’m not fps obsessed. It’s more about resolution, motion artefacts and immersion. 

It could be a big difference, if you are currently CPU limited. With good single-pass VR the CPU overhead from VR should be closer to non-VR DCS. There's still overhead from the VR pipeline and drivers, but that's on a different thread anyways. So if a modern CPU can run flatscreen DCS at 120fps, it should also easily handle VR at the same settings at let's say 90fps. This would mean that all modern "gaming" CPUs (i5, i7 and AMD equivalents) from the last few years should be "good enough" for 90fps VR.
Those that are limited by their GPU will not benefit from that though. For higher resolution, you'd still want a better GPU...
Also this is all speculation. Lower CPU overhead is a very realistic expectation, but i've also laid out the most optimal scenario. Please note that ED officials were always very cautious when talking about performance gains from vulkan.

Also this is only about single-pass VR. Vulkan is an essential retooling for the engine and it could come with improvments and even degradation in other areas. For example one can hope that Vulkan will help with the insane VRAM consumption of DCS, either by introducing smarter texture compression wizadry, or simply by doing better VRAM management...

Edited by twistking
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, twistking said:

It could be a big difference, if you are currently CPU limited. With good single-pass VR the CPU overhead from VR should be closer to non-VR DCS. There's still overhead from the VR pipeline and drivers, but that's on a different thread anyways. So if a modern CPU can run flatscreen DCS at 120fps, it should also easily handle VR at the same settings at let's say 90fps. This would mean that all modern "gaming" CPUs (i5, i7 and AMD equivalents) from the last few years should be "good enough" for 90fps VR.
Those that are limited by their GPU will not benefit from that though. For higher resolution, you'd still want a better GPU...
Also this is all speculation. Lower CPU overhead is a very realistic expectation, but i've also laid out the most optimal scenario. Please note that ED officials were always very cautious when talking about performance gains from vulkan.

Also this is only about single-pass VR. Vulkan is an essential retooling for the engine and it could come with improvments and even degradation in other areas. For example one can hope that Vulkan will help with the insane VRAM consumption of DCS, either by introducing smarter texture compression wizadry, or simply by doing better VRAM management...

Thanks. Let's wait and see then!!!

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Save game finally, but question lingers....How come they are now implementing it - they said it numerous times it's impossible to implement because of triggers, etc etc stuff.?

oh-boy-excited.gif

Edited by hreich
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, hreich said:

Save game finally, but question lingers....How come they are now implementing it - they said it numerous times it's impossible to implement because of triggers, etc etc stuff.?

oh-boy-excited.gif

You may not have noticed but we have been working a lot on the core of DCS, please enjoy the news, the saved game is a long awaited feature. 

thanks

• Like 9

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The newsletter was full of amazing stuff, and 2024(+) looks to be another great year for DCS.

So, I hate to be "that guy" but....

Please make it so we can write on the kneeboard in the mission editor. Pleeeeaase! Nothing fancy, just make it so the briefing text appears on one of those yellow notepad pages. This would make the biggest difference to making missions and I am sure it would also for others. Kneeboard editing is quite a big hole in DCS as far as I can see. The change to getting co-ordinates was a huge QoL update, and this would be in the same scale in my opinion. 

• Like 4

• ED Team

folks again, please stay on the newsletter topic. Its very easy to derail these forum threads, please discuss the topic in the first post. 

thank you

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
34 minutes ago, nachinus said:

Regarding the work on ATC: can I make a little request?... please have the tower guy shout at me when I'm on final with no wheels, would you? 😅

feel free to make a wish here 

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/207-dcs-core-wish-list/ 

Regarding the work on ATC: can I make a little request?... please have the tower guy shout at me when I'm on final with no wheels, would you? 
Well, they don't shout, but current ATC reminds you to check landing gear on final. Might only be if you forget to request landing on final that is.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

100% !  Can you Imagine the possibilities? Use the Me to have delayed starts with ground sea and air . We could turn a 6 hour mission into a Campaign !.. When they first talked about DCS Dynamic Campaign, I thought, Impossible without a Save Game Function . Great News for Another Simple man ! ~s~
the Save game news was gold to my ears. So many enjoyable mission i just dont play due to lack of time, now if i could save it and play as i have some spare time... now we're talking

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had a strange dream last night.

You could fly from Sinai to Syria. When you hit the border, you got a loading screen and you where in Syria to continue your mission.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

38 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I had a strange dream last night.

You could fly from Sinai to Syria. When you hit the border, you got a loading screen and you where in Syria to continue your mission.

It's possible right now.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, BIGNEWY said:

You may not have noticed but we have been working a lot on the core of DCS, please enjoy the news, the saved game is a long awaited feature. 

thanks

Will it be possible to use this saved game feature for multiplayer? So load up a mission from a saved point? And similarly, save the mission in multiplayer?

Will it be possible to use this saved game feature for multiplayer? So load up a mission from a saved point? And similarly, save the mission in multiplayer?
How would you save a game in MP? :/

What happens with other players? are they substituted by Bots when you decide to play again in 2 days?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

How would you save a game in MP? 😕

What happens with other players? are they substituted by Bots when you decide to play again in 2 days?

No, players aircraft are just clients. When you reload, it's up to you (and your friends in multiplayer) to take the slots or not. If the slot isn't taken then the said aircraft does not exist in the first place. Exactly the same as loading any normal MP mission.

Edited by CommandT