12.01.2024 - Vulkan Progress | DCS Core | DCS Modules

• ED Team
3 hours ago, Razorback said:

News from ED : New units will be available in 2024 that will range from World War II to modern day. Each unit requires thousands of man-hours to create and will be provided as optional packs at their highest levels of detail.

I understand that if I want the new 3D models I will have to pay for it, like for the WWII assets pack? This one shot will become a standard in DCS ?
We're moving towards a game with two levels of modeling...😥

What can be expext in the future ?
You want a better vegetation : you have to pay for ?
You want nice new buildings : you have to pay for ?

Sorry, and this is my personal opinion, but if confirmed, I'm very disappointed by this kind of policy (even if I totally understand that ED need money to continue the development of our favourite simulation game).

We like to pay our team, and fund future projects, without money everything stops. 

We have no news to share currently about future asset packs, when we do we will let you all know. 

Please enjoy the recently free updated models, we have more work on the way. 

With that said, lets not derail the thread, enjoy the newsletter, it was a good one. 

thank you

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Newy, I remember a long time ago the towed decoy was on the roadmap for the F-18. I’ve seen it mentioned for the F-16 but not the 18 recently. Is it still planned for the 18?

also I love DCS and the progress it’s made this year. I especially love the integrated comms. But the Yak-52 still leaves much to be desired and does not receive updates. I know it’s not making you money. But we paid money for it. How should I determine which modules will be completed so I can avoid buying an abandoned one in the future?(rhetorical) FIX THE YAK. 

• Like 1

Wow some big items and mentions for some major updates to arrive for 2024 or is it 2024 beyond  ??

Im looking forward to a lot of that stuff to come though at some point, every bit helps push the game forward.

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

I think the 'save game' might be the biggest thing there for me. I am simple man.

100% !  Can you Imagine the possibilities? Use the Me to have delayed starts with ground sea and air . We could turn a 6 hour mission into a Campaign !.. When they first talked about DCS Dynamic Campaign, I thought, Impossible without a Save Game Function . Great News for Another Simple man ! ~s~

• Like 2

R7 7800X3d,64g 6000 Ram,4090, Pimax Crystal. 

7 hours ago, Jester986 said:

FIX THE YAK. 

Yes. I don't understand why ED cannot get the thing over the finish line. It's a simple module and there isn't even that much left do do. It will have to be finished at some point anyway, but until then it will only continue to produce discontent in the community.

Edited by twistking
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,

We hope you all had a wonderful holiday and that the New Year has started well. For those of you who may have missed it, please check out our 2024 and Beyond video. 2024 will see the introduction of the Vulkan API which will offer better frame rates for most players as well as new graphical capabilities such as ray tracing and improved VR performance.

In addition to new aircraft, terrains and Vulkan API, DCS core will see many new features, as well as bug fixes and improvements based on your feedback and requests. 

New modules and core improvements will be developed in conjunction with work on existing modules. Please check out the details below.

Thank you for your passion and support.

Yours sincerely,

Eagle Dynamics

The intro talks about raytracing, but then this is not followed up on. Has this been simply forgotten?
I would love to know what RT features the team is considering. Also it would be good to have some clarification on it being vendor agnostic.

Apart from that this was a nice, chunky newsletter. Something like that every few month please! 🙂

Edited by twistking
  • Like 1

“Although we have a solid design to provide an exceptional ATC experience, much of the work in 2024 will involve how we generate the voice dialog and create a much-improved interface.”

Be interesting to see what sort interface they’re looking at……sounds hopeful. 

• Like 2

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

15 minutes ago, Willie Nelson said:

“Although we have a solid design to provide an exceptional ATC experience, much of the work in 2024 will involve how we generate the voice dialog and create a much-improved interface.”

Be interesting to see what sort interface they’re looking at……sounds hopeful. 

I hope they consider voice as an (optional) interface option and integrate it into the VoIP/radio simulation not only for MP but also SP.

I use voice recognition in other sims and it works flawlessly, despite my german accent.

• Like 2

Save function, new better track system. Wonder if it will feature <>

EDIT: Another nice to have feature for the new tracksystem would be support for DCS-BIOS/VAICOM etc.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• ED Team
2 hours ago, twistking said:

The intro talks about raytracing, but then this is not followed up on. Has this been simply forgotten?
I would love to know what RT features the team is considering. Also it would be good to have some clarification on it being vendor agnostic.

I dont have any details to share currently, but vulkan opens a lot of possibilities for the team which is nice. As soon as we can give you more detail we will. 

thanks and have a great weekend

• Like 5

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I sincerely hope that the beginning of this year will be all about Vulkan. As the currect newsletter starts with it as a main topic, not to mention the newsletter e-mail subject also prioritizes this that means something.

If the following newsletters will flood us with details about the Vulkan then I really hope that finally we're just months away from deployment.

What a great news, very exciting times, thank you ED!

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

The thing about Vulkan is that unless you're deeply into how rendering works, there's won't be that much to talk about. It's very a exciting thing if you know what it's good for, and particularly for VR, but it's all backend. Vulkan will enable new stuff like raytracing, better VR performance (DX11 uses a rather basic brute force approach) and better utilization of GPU resources, but it won't produce anything screenshotable by itself.

• Like 1

Overall a really nice insight of what's on the list for 2024.

But one thing worries me a little. The SuperCarrier part. Just stating the fact ED is working on things. Last years second newsletter told us Vulkan will be needed first for PriFly and ReadyRoom. I can't say I loved to hear this, but I was able to understand. And that's why I liked that newsletter so much to be honest. Now the newsletter tells us Vulkan will come 2024. But it doesn't say same about PriFly and ReadyRoom. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I would except that all this stuff is already finished as far as possible and just waiting for Vulkan to be implemented. I mean, in May it would be 4 years since EA-release. 
Can someone clarify this a little maybe?

Edited by SteelPig

19 hours ago, Razorback said:

News from ED : New units will be available in 2024 that will range from World War II to modern day. Each unit requires thousands of man-hours to create and will be provided as optional packs at their highest levels of detail.

I understand that if I want the new 3D models I will have to pay for it, like for the WWII assets pack? This one shot will become a standard in DCS ?
We're moving towards a game with two levels of modeling...😥

What can be expext in the future ?
You want a better vegetation : you have to pay for ?
You want nice new buildings : you have to pay for ?

Sorry, and this is my personal opinion, but if confirmed, I'm very disappointed by this kind of policy (even if I totally understand that ED need money to continue the development of our favourite simulation game).

I would also think creating two levels of detail for models would be double the work but maybe I’m not understanding how ED is doing this stuff.

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

it won't produce anything screenshotable by itself

True enough, but a basic explanation of what it means for DCS specifically should be expected I believe, to inform the user base.
Perhaps a bit more technical as an optional whitepaper to read (as ED have done before) for those who are interested.

Or, perhaps Wags can make a short video talking about the basics as well as a side-by-side comparison in VR of a pre-Vulkan and post-Vulkan build to show off the difference?

There are multiple ways to inform the end-users that don't involve basic screenshots 🙂 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, Snoopy said:

I would also think creating two levels of detail for models would be double the work but maybe I’m not understanding how ED is doing this stuff.

I suspect the lower level of detail would work as a LOD for the upgraded ones. High detail units will not be useful to everyone, but I suppose I'd buy them because I like eyecandy. 🙂 

I like this solution. ArmA had used it already, and it worked fine. Many DCS players likely don't even have the hardware to run with full detail units. Those who want more will get more, and the others will be able to skip it. This is a good way to fund long overdue 3D model improvements.

• Like 2

• ED Team
17 hours ago, Jester986 said:

Big Newy, I remember a long time ago the towed decoy was on the roadmap for the F-18. I’ve seen it mentioned for the F-16 but not the 18 recently. Is it still planned for the 18?

I think you are confusing the topic, it was for the viper and the ALE-50 

Thanks

• ED Team
4 hours ago, SteelPig said:

Overall a really nice insight of what's on the list for 2024.

But one thing worries me a little. The SuperCarrier part. Just stating the fact ED is working on things. Last years second newsletter told us Vulkan will be needed first for PriFly and ReadyRoom. I can't say I loved to hear this, but I was able to understand. And that's why I liked that newsletter so much to be honest. Now the newsletter tells us Vulkan will come 2024. But it doesn't say same about PriFly and ReadyRoom. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I would except that all this stuff is already finished as far as possible and just waiting for Vulkan to be implemented. I mean, in May it would be 4 years since EA-release. 
Can someone clarify this a little maybe?

The supercarrier has brought a lot of new tech to DCS and still is, some of that requires waiting for core updates, we reached the limit of what directX could do basically. What we are doing is very complex and will take time, so your patience is required while we continue the work.

We have updated you all with our news as we have progressed, including the plane directors on the deck which is starting to shape up nicely, hopefully we can show you more soon. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We like to pay our team, and fund future projects, without money everything stops. 

We have no news to share currently about future asset packs, when we do we will let you all know. 

Please enjoy the recently free updated models, we have more work on the way. 

With that said, lets not derail the thread, enjoy the newsletter, it was a good one. 

I don't think it's derailing the thread to discuss the topic of the thread.

Paying your team is obvious. Nobody is suggesting you don't do that.

As a consumer, however, I believe it behooves ED to take stock of the attitudes of their customers. Many on this forum seem eager to support paid asset packs; that's fine.

Many others find it distasteful at best, and dishonest at worst, when such assets were advertised for years as being part of core sim updates, withheld at the last minute, and suddenly there are expanded plans to split content across multiple asset packs.

We are not naive to the costs of software development. But I, for one, am very disappointed that the core sim is being monetized in this fashion.

Edited by AngelAtTheTomb
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, AngelAtTheTomb said:

Paying your team is obvious. Nobody is suggesting you don't do that.

yet nobody suggest on ways to DO that.

Many on this forum seem eager to support paid asset packs; that's fine.

I'm on this group, have no issue with paying for the goods that I use.

Many others find it distasteful at best, and dishonest at worst, when such assets were advertised for years as being part of core sim updates, withheld at the last minute, and suddenly there are expanded plans to split content across multiple asset packs.

Probably ED realized that it was not possible to fund that development with just the income from selling the usual modules.

We are not naive to the costs of software development. 

yet you prefer free goods  🙂

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

The supercarrier has brought a lot of new tech to DCS and still is, some of that requires waiting for core updates, we reached the limit of what directX could do basically. What we are doing is very complex and will take time, so your patience is required while we continue the work.

Speaking of SC and tech, I wonder if the barricade net is still coming...

• Like 2

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

17 hours ago, twistking said:

I hope they consider voice as an (optional) interface option and integrate it into the VoIP/radio simulation not only for MP but also SP.

I use voice recognition in other sims and it works flawlessly, despite my german accent.

Out of interest p, which other sims use native voice recognition? 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

No mention to new static objects, it says ground units but it doesn't specify statics. Why ED is so reluctant towards the STATIC objects? 90% of the DCS objects are 30 years old and it limits the possibility for missions to want the map offers, we do much more combat missions in DCS than any other real pilot could possibly do and the lack of targets is very noticeable.

• Like 3