Landing gear after update.

demon702

hello is it just me or has the landing gear become very week since the update . i am landing well within the acceptable carrier weight of 34000 and most times the gear are damaged . i didn't think i was that rough on the equipment.is this a problem ,are there others having this same issue as  i am ?

Demon-702

• Like 3

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Just wanted to chime in, I have no track but can confirm, rear gear broke twice in one mission yesterday, at Tal Siman on Syria.

1 left gear, 1 right gear.

I’ve never had that happen out of approximately 30-40 landings there. It felt fine on first touchdown, but after applying the brakes, the warning sounded. I wasn’t in external view, I was focused on stopping before the end of the airstrip. 

3rd time was ok at a lower AoA and slightly higher speed (approximately 145 knots), but I also pulsed the wheel brakes as I heard some skidding noises, which I’ve also never heard before. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BarTzi said:

What is your descent rate when landing?

For me it seems that anything >1000fpm breaks the left main gear. I've only tried it on the carrier (right crosswind) so maybe it's taking extra sideload stress on that left side.

3 hours ago, eaglepilot6 said:

For me it seems that anything >1000fpm breaks the left main gear. I've only tried it on the carrier (right crosswind) so maybe it's taking extra sideload stress on that left side.

The WOD should be right down the angle. Something is not jibing if you have a crosswind so strong it breaks your gear. 

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

11 hours ago, eaglepilot6 said:

Sounds violent. I rarely go past 750, and the gear stays intact.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:20 AM, eaglepilot6 said:

To be fair, the structural limit is around 1500 fpm. 

So I busted the left main gear on a cat shot... this isn't operator error, it's definitely too fragile:

GearBug.png

I've also managed to break it taxiing on deck at walking pace, its always the left leg:

image.png

Edited by Valkyrie1-1
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Valkyrie1-1 said:

So I busted the left main gear on a cat shot..

+1

Screen_240225_182555.jpgScreen_240225_190812.jpg

• Like 1

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro

No idea whether the strength modelling is good or not but some time ago I recall a RL F18 pilot saying you're good up to about 1000' FPM descent.  Our SQN is all carriers.  On release, sure there was broken gear as the new FM muscle memory was learned but now, on speed, on the glideslope, on the ball until touch down and no pitch down to plant it on the dek if a tadge high and all is good.  It seems grand to us.... now 🙂

Kind Regards
Chris

https://carrierairwing.co.uk/

• Like 1

SIGBLOCK.png

Ok, I was exceeding MLW by 500lbs, so my fault. I'm unable to replicate the LG failure at cat launch, time permitting I will test with different loadouts, cat misalignment and cross winds.

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro

On 2/25/2024 at 12:34 PM, Valkyrie1-1 said:

So I busted the left main gear on a cat shot... this isn't operator error, it's definitely too fragile:

GearBug.png

I've also managed to break it taxiing on deck at walking pace, its always the left leg:

image.png

Wonder if there could be some weird geometry on the carrier deck or if even just the arrester cables could be causing spikes in the calculated forces on the landing gear. In iracing, there would be weird invisible yet collidable anomalies in their laser scanned race tracks that could send your car to space or break your front end. Perhaps something similar is happening and was always present, but we just never noticed before because the landing gear wasn’t nearly as fragile. 

I’ve flew two campaign missions today which was the first time I used the hornet since the update.

Hit the carrier the way I’ve been dojng for 4 years and boltered. Noticed left gear wouldn’t retract so put both down and went around. Came in on speed and pretty close to slope. I hit a little harder than I should (but not by much) hit the 3 wire and my wheels end up bent out at like 45 degree angles from the axel. Figured they got damaged first run

Second mission I come in on speed and proper angle of attack, glide slope, etc. Only call I got was a “liiiitle right to left” after I called the ball. Hit the 4 wire. Alarms start going off and- when I look- the left gear strut was bent out.

I’ve been landing the hornet on carriers for 3-4 years. I’m not a pro -and yeah- sometimes it gets put down a little harder than others but I’ve never busted the gear. Now? Busted twice in a row and the landing on the second mission was on speed/on slope/on AoA and I thought I put it down nicely 

Edited by Mike_CK
  • Like 1

It was probably more indestructible than it should have been previously, so probably closer to what it should be.  Definitely takes a bit of adjustment from what it used to be.  Keeping descent rate to <850 FPM at point of impact seems to help.  Also, seems to be more sensitive to if you're not precisely level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike_CK said:

Did ED do something to the Hornets landing gear other than cosmetics? I’ve flew two campaign missions today which was the first time I used the hornet since the update.

Hit the carrier the way I’ve been dojng for 4 years and boltered. Noticed left gear wouldn’t retract so out both down and went around. Came in on speed and pretty close to slope. I hit a little harder than I should but not by much hit the 3 wire. Alarms go off.  I looked and my wheels were bent out at like 45 degree angles from the axel. Figured they got damaged first run

Second mission I made sure to come in on speed and proper angle of attack, glide slope, etc. Only call I got was a “liiiitle right to left” after I called the ball. but other than that, seemed good, I straightened out and hit the 4 wire. Alarms start going off and- when I look- the left gear struts was all bent out.

I’ve been landing the hornet on carriers for 3-4 years. I’m not a pro -and yeah- sometimes it gets put down a little harder than others but I’ve never busted the gear. Now? Busted twice in a row and the landing on the second mission was on speed/on slope/on AoA and I thought I put it down nicely 

anyone else driving the aircrew nuts with broken gear on landing? Is this a change?

https://forum.dcs.world/tags/rate of descent too fast/

FYI, the aircraft is supposed to remain dirty on the bolter!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

It definitely is more sensitive, probably way more realistic. But I've read many reports by many about damaging the gear and a lot of them talk about being on speed, descent rate and stuff but a lot of them don't mention the weight (below 34000 for carrier trap, Below 39000 for flared field landing). In my experience it works pretty well this way. Should do more testing but it feels that it is ok like this. Maybe a bit to sensitive? Maybe crosswinds make it more prone for breaking?