Landing gear after update.

demon702

I guess nothing. When viewed as a track, watching from the CTRL F4 (arcade chase) view the moment of touch down, it now looks okay. Viewed "live" (as if there is such a thing in a "SIM"), the plane seems to .. like pull itself down onto the ground the last few feet. 

I don't think there is anything 'wrong'.. it just looks "interesting". 

And yes, I should have sprayed fuel all over the place first... 😀

Isn't 39,000 lbs the airfield weight limit?

Edited by EmJay22
typo

5 hours ago, EmJay22 said:

I am afraid to ask what constitutes "flaring"? And does the new DCS F-18C recognize it?

There are many definitions, but in essence, it's landing at such speed (air, gs, vertical), that the nose of the aircraft remains up after the main wheels have already touched-down. If you take a look the infamous "Air Force vs Navy" video clip, that F-16 did a flared landing, while the F/A-18 pilot did not.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, markom said:

There are many definitions, but in essence, it's landing at such speed (air, gs, vertical), that the nose of the aircraft remains up after the main wheels have already touched-down. If you take a look the infamous "Air Force vs Navy" video clip, that F-16 did a flared landing, while the F/A-18 pilot did not.

And just what is the preferred/recommended way to do this in the DCS F/A-18?  Increase the AOA a bit? o Pull back on the stick at landing to keep the nose up? 

14 hours ago, markom said:

That´s aerobraking.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I don't think there is any clear definition of "flared landing" other than a landing in which descent rate is arrested prior to touchdown. There is a semi-relevant note about 500 fpm with asymmetrical stores, that could be a reasonable threshold to call something flared (although 500 is definitely on the "positive" side). Not to be confused with aerobraking, as mentioned above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fagulha said:

That´s aerobraking.

Aerobraking is keeping the flaps down, gentle pressure on the brakes, and pulling the stick/yoke back (or similar set of actions to increase aerodynamic braking, *after* all wheels are on the ground). If the nose is up, executing this action may not do what you want in a bad way (porpoising).

1 hour ago, markom said:

Aerobraking is keeping the flaps down, gentle pressure on the brakes, and pulling the stick/yoke back (or similar set of actions to increase aerodynamic braking, *after* all wheels are on the ground). If the nose is up, executing this action may not do what you want in a bad way (porpoising).

Using the elevators while braking is be a form of aerobraking, keeping the nose up after touchdown is also aerobraking. Flaring is simply decreasing your rate of descent before touchdown, the nosewheel does not have to stay up after the mains are down.

• Like 3

As far as i remember from gliders, flaring was generally rising your nose to touchdown attitude just above the ground level to minimize descent or even stop it. Then your speed will slowly bleed out and you would remain in this configuration with aim to reach stall speed at the exact moment when your wheels touch the ground.

• Like 1

Good afternoon, lately when I make a landing on an aircraft carrier the landing gear is almost always damaged. I usually land at around 160 knots and lower the landing gear below 200 knots. This didn't happen to me before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong Or has the f 18 c damage model changed? I would appreciate any clarification.

• Like 2

• ED Team

please include a short track replay example so we can take a look.

Pay special attention to your fpm and the aircraft weight on trapping. 

thank you 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

46 minutes ago, mosqui said:

Good afternoon, lately when I make a landing on an aircraft carrier the landing gear is almost always damaged. I usually land at around 160 knots and lower the landing gear below 200 knots. This didn't happen to me before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong Or has the f 18 c damage model changed? I would appreciate any clarification.

What was your rate of descent? What was your weight? 

The best thing to do is make sure you’re at the correct weight (under 34,000 lbs) don’t worry about your airspeed at all, if you fly the correct AOA (flight path marker in centre of the E bracket) your airspeed will always be correct for the weight of your aircraft. That should get you down without smashing up the gear. 

• Like 1

And in answer to the other part of your original question, yes, the gear did change when they updated the flight model in the last patch.  It is presumably more realistic now, but you definitely have to fly the landing properly now to put it down without harming the gear.  I know I picked up a lot of bad habits of slamming the plane on the deck with the old flight model 😳

• Like 3

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

22 hours ago, Oscarn said:

Using the elevators while braking is be a form of aerobraking, keeping the nose up after touchdown is also aerobraking. Flaring is simply decreasing your rate of descent before touchdown, the nosewheel does not have to stay up after the mains are down.

Well now you can not raise the nose up any more by pulling on the stick.  As soon as the mains hit the runway the horizontal stabs go full 24' NU but the only effect you get is a slightly extended nose wheel strut. During final approach on speed, the stabs are roughly ~ 15 NU and if the stabs go suddenly to 24' after touchdown (around 130, 140 kts) you would definitely see the results 😉 .  Currently, the stabs ease up to ~15 NU when slowing through 100kts. From what I understand we should be able to gradually pull on the stick after touchdown, going to full up below 100kts. That's with the nose wheel on the ground all the time. The roll / rudder interconnect disconnects at a 100kts also.

F18 gear is way to weak now after the update, the devs should look up on this, visaully certainly plane can land regularelly the way I land and gear almost always bends 45 degrees on landing, this is ridiculous. What is also ridiculous that there are so many reports on this and still no response from devs.

Edited by Milos

2 hours ago, Milos said:

F18 gear is way to weak now after the update, the devs should look up on this, visaully certainly plane can land regularelly the way I land and gear almost always bends 45 degrees on landing, this is ridiculous. What is also ridiculous that there are so many reports on this and still no response from devs.

Show us your landings dude, post a track maybe we can help. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milos said:

What is your landing weight, AoA, and FPM? 

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

3 hours ago, Milos said:

Post a track! There is other post related to this. A few were attributed to landing overweight. I've done multiple traps and shore recoveries since the update and broke the Landing gear once, intentionally! With the update, I get better LSO grades and OK 3's and 4's. 

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

After the change to the flight model, I had to spend MANY hours just relearning to land straight-in without damaging the rear gear. Learning to focus on the flight path marker and the E bracket. Making sure weight is low enough.

Today was the first CASE 1 recovery without damaging the gear.  CASE III is easy, by comparison, as it's just straight in.

So for me, the new flight model is like getting a completely new plane that just looks like the old Hornet with the same controls.

• Like 2